Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
spiff Wrote:abused my position? i told you in a fairly polite way that you don't get special treatment. you answer with personal insults.

No, I did not PERSONALLY INSULTED you. READ please
Quote:Your next reply will be 'use the search function' or something, so I m not going to bother with you stupid replies anymore.

edit: the thing you want to hear probably is that you know EVERYTHING.

i read. and re-read. i still can't read that in any other way.
I'm currently running rev 22434 on windows 7 x64 with the 64 bit version of MPC HC. Here is my playercorefactory.xml file.

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HC\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
<args>/play /fullscreen /close </args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules>
<rule video="true" player="MPC-HC">
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

The external player works perfectly when I play non-hd content, i.e. avi files. However when I attempt to play any HD content, .mkv, MPC opens but returns the following: failed to render file. If I play the same file directly from MPC it works fine.

Anybody having this issue? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz
4 GB G. Skill DDR2
Nvidia 8800 GT
btwiggles2 Wrote:I'm currently running rev 22434 on windows 7 x64 with the 64 bit version of MPC HC. Here is my playercorefactory.xml file.

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HC\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
<args>/play /fullscreen /close </args>
</player>
</players>
<rules>
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

The external player works perfectly when I play non-hd content, i.e. avi files. However when I attempt to play any HD content, .mkv, MPC opens but returns the following: failed to render file. If I play the same file directly from MPC it works fine.

Anybody having this issue? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz
4 GB G. Skill DDR2
Nvidia 8800 GT

Have you checked what your CPU is doing while in the XBMC/GUI ?

Because if its running high for some reason and you have <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc> it might be to much for both XBMC/GUI and mkv

Try <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc> and see what happens
THX-UltraII Wrote:Been away for a while and installed the latest (non-official) version of MPC-HC last night. I always used the following advancedsettings.xml file in my userdata directoy, but now my external player won t start up anymore. What could be the problem?

as gufy said, you now need a playercorefactory.xml, see the wiki
Thanks to Amra and moby-uk...both were right and now it is workign like a charm...

Thanks again your your big help.
zoing Wrote:hi moby-uk,

here is the debug log.
http://pastebin.com/m74079118

I have used the latest svn 22503 version.

I have observed when i press on the remote "forward", then the flashing appaers immediately, otherwise it takes some time. But when I press the "pause" or "play" button the flashing does not appear instantly.

I have configured my remote with Event-Ghost.

I hope this helps!
thanks zoing

I don't see any obvious cause in the log, do you have MPC-HC configured to be "On Top"?
moby-uk Wrote:I don't see any obvious cause in the log, do you have MPC-HC configured to be "On Top"?

Hi,

yes I tried it with the "On Top" setting enabled and disabled. The flashing apears with both settings. I also tried the hidexbmc setting in the playercorfactory.xml with no luck.

thanks for looking into that.
patkhoo Wrote:Bump +1 for this (type of) idea.. Let me explain why:

In some External Media Players (like MPC HC), they are able to play all the movies in a folder if you pass it the folder path. This works great if you have stacked movies where each movie is in it's own folder.

So I have:
movie\movie.cd1.avi
movie\movie.cd2.avi
Under the latest SVN, when I play this movie with external player:
a) playback is not "smooth", at the break between cd1 and cd2, xbmc comes up to fire the next item in the playlist
b) If while playing cd1, I decide I do not want to watch the movie any more, stopping MPC HC is OK, but XBMC will fire the next cd2 anyway.

So, if you have an option somewhere that either:
1. plays only the 1st video in a folder (then we use a launcher script to pull back to the folder level)
2. plays a .m3u in the folder instead of the individual avis
3. tells external player to play the folder name, instead of the actual video file.

This is especially true/needed for the movies library IMHO..

What do you think?

Hi Moby, any comments on this? Curious as to your point of view..
Hi guys
sorry if this is basic stuff but this side of xbmc is all new to me!
i'm trying to add an external player inside xbmc windows version 9.04 repack 2, i'm on vista home 32, because of playback issues with standard ripped vob to hard drive ( slight juddering pic ) and also i have ripped blu ray ISO created with anydvd on the harddrive which i'd like to play with xbmc also! the program i'm trying to add to play inside xbmc is powerdvd8,
this is the xml i've made can anyone tell me if its correct?
and also if it is? where inside the program files do i put it to get it to work? does it need special labelling?
do i put it in the userdata folder? or the system folder? or should it go inside a folder inside these folders? also i see in the "system folder" theres also a "players folder" with dvdplayer folder and a paplayer folder, do i need to add a third folder in here for my external player?
any help much grateful for!
cheers dmemphis,uk.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <players>
- <player name="powerdvd8" type="externalplayer" audio="true" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\powerdvd8.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /close</args>
</player>
</players>
Hi
ok done abit more research and i've realised if its the 9.04 repack 2 version you make an advancedsettings.xml and put it in the userdata folder which i've done but i don't think its working cos when in movies in xbmc and i press "c" button i get the "play using" option which i change to external player i still can't play certain files and it comes on to quick! i would imagine when using another program to use as the player it takes longer? especially using powerdvd8! i also have zoom player would that be a better one to use? blu ray playback is not essential but i would like to get my sd vob files playing without juddering every now and again! they play fine in both powerdvd8 and zoom player!
heres a new advancedsettings xml i'm using is this one correct?
cheers........

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>c:\Program Files\Cyberlink\powerdvd8.exe</filename>
<args>-fs</args>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>
zoing Wrote:Hi,

yes I tried it with the "On Top" setting enabled and disabled. The flashing apears with both settings. I also tried the hidexbmc setting in the playercorfactory.xml with no luck.

thanks for looking into that.

OK, i've reproduced on my EEEBox (XPSP3) but only when I start "XBMC (Windowed)", is this how you're starting it? If so then try the "XBMC" shortcut and let me know if that's better for you.

However, it's odd that you say hidexbmc didn't help, as long as your extplayer is a standalone executable that actually does the playback (by which I means it's not just a quick process that pokes an already-running player and dies immediately) then hidexbmc should withdraw the XBMC windows and pretty much cure any z-order or i-need-every-cpu-cycle-i-can-get issues. can you generate a debug log with <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
moby-uk Wrote:OK, i've reproduced on my EEEBox (XPSP3) but only when I start "XBMC (Windowed)", is this how you're starting it? If so then try the "XBMC" shortcut and let me know if that's better for you.

However, it's odd that you say hidexbmc didn't help, as long as your extplayer is a standalone executable that actually does the playback (by which I means it's not just a quick process that pokes an already-running player and dies immediately) then hidexbmc should withdraw the XBMC windows and pretty much cure any z-order or i-need-every-cpu-cycle-i-can-get issues. can you generate a debug log with <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>

Hi,

I start the XBMC with the shortcut and with the -fs option in it.
Here is the debug log with hidexbmc "true". http://pastebin.com/m5d79745b
When I set hidexbmc to "true" and stop the MPC-HC player, XBMC crashes and I can only terminate it with the task manager. When I also set islauncher to "true" then I can stop the MPC-HC without any problem.
I also changed the vsync parmeter and the resolution with no luck.
The flashing still appears.

greetings zoing
zoing Wrote:Hi,

I start the XBMC with the shortcut and with the -fs option in it.
Here is the debug log with hidexbmc "true". http://pastebin.com/m5d79745b
When I set hidexbmc to "true" and stop the MPC-HC player, XBMC crashes and I can only terminate it with the task manager. When I also set islauncher to "true" then I can stop the MPC-HC without any problem.
I also changed the vsync parmeter and the resolution with no luck.
The flashing still appears.

greetings zoing

I think I have the same problem... Or similar anyways..

XBMC log: http://pastebin.com/m33e32445

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
      <filename>D:\Apps\MPC HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
      <args>/play /d3dfs /fullscreen /close /fixedsize 19200,10800</args>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
      <rule filetypes="mpg" player="dvdplayer" />
      <rule dvd="true" player="dvdplayer" />
      <rule dvdimage="true" player="dvdplayer" />
      <rule dvdfile="true" player="dvdplayer" />
    </rule>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

When I launch MPC-HC, it plays the movie fine. But when I stop the movie, XBMC hangs. I do notice that there is this message "Click to stop external process" or something like that flash in the background when I start/stop playing the movie. But in the end, I have to use Task Manager to kill XBMC.

But, and this is the weird part, this does not happen all the time, most of the time, but not all the time.

I never used to have this problem before, until I upgraded to this latest SVN.. Any ideas?
zoing Wrote:Here is the debug log with hidexbmc "true". http://pastebin.com/m5d79745b

No, that's a log with islauncher set to true as well which turns hidexbmc back off again as you can't have both; the islauncher flag is an indication that you know the extplayer process will end quickly and playback will continue, this in turn causes XBMC to assume the extplayer is still running (and so limit its fps to use less CPU time) until you dismiss the dialog (which you couldn't do if the XBMC window was hidden).

I know you say it hangs with only hidexbmc set but can you get me a log from that please.