Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

Sorry for the noob question. I have an asrock ION 330 system and i dont want Ubuntu on it. Is there any way to force it to run an external player on just the MKV files inside XBMC? Does any one has an guide to make this work in an easy way?

//Stefan
stbi00 Wrote:Hi!

Sorry for the noob question. I have an asrock ION 330 system and i dont want Ubuntu on it. Is there any way to force it to run an external player on just the MKV files inside XBMC? Does any one has an guide to make this work in an easy way?

//Stefan

Yes you can with the builds after 20983 using the playercorefactory.xml method, there's already a guide in the wiki

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback
Ok, Thanks for the link. I will look into that. where do i find the latest builds?

//Stefan
stbi00 Wrote:Ok, Thanks for the link. I will look into that. where do i find the latest builds?

//Stefan

Try here.
How can I play all video files with external player except ISO file to read with XBMC internal player ?

TIA
picarddontoro Wrote:How can I play all video files with external player except ISO file to read with XBMC internal player ?

TIA

Just add the extentions you want played buy external player under rules

For example

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="ZoomPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\Zoom Player\zplayer.exe</filename>
      <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
      <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
      <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule filetypes="[b]mkv|avi|wmv[/b]" player="ZoomPlayer"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Where its bold just add them there with a |-separator, there might be another way but this seems the most reliable for me

This is all in the wiki Rolleyes
I have been reading all day, posts and wiki, for some help on playercorefactory.xml For a noob, it was hard finding the right posts.

I want to use my external player, MPC-HC, for HD content, including mkv files.

I have tried to piece together information, and i am still having problems.

For one, in Wiki, it says - filetypes, and the example above the syntax in Wiki has no "s" ie - filetype="mkv"...

First, my build is 22516

Here is my playercorefactory content:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<warpcursor>topright</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules>
<rule video="true" filetype="mkv" player="MPC-HC" />
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

The problem is that ALL videos play with MPC-HC, regardless of type.:confused2:

Can anyone give me some help on the correct sysntax?

I actually have "720" and "1080" in all hi def content. It was quite time consuming typing it in, and really wanted to use this for the rule.

I tried this too, and it did not work either
<rules>
<rule video="true" filename="*720*|*1080*" player="MPC-HC" />
</rules>

Thank You
I did not post a log file, as i think it is only a syntax issue.

If you want a log file, let me know and i will post one.

Thanks,

Cam
Cammer Wrote:I have been reading all day, posts and wiki, for some help on playercorefactory.xml For a noob, it was hard finding the right posts.

I want to use my external player, MPC-HC, for HD content, including mkv files.

I have tried to piece together information, and i am still having problems.

For one, in Wiki, it says - filetypes, and the example above the syntax in Wiki has no "s" ie - filetype="mkv"...

it's filetypes, with the "s". Since the wiki says it's filetypes and then had one example with the "s" and one without (i've fixed that now), surely you must have tried both so there must be some other problem, which I can't immediately see, and a log would be useful.

Quote:I actually have "720" and "1080" in all hi def content. It was quite time consuming typing it in, and really wanted to use this for the rule.

I tried this too, and it did not work either
<rules>
<rule video="true" filename="*720*|*1080*" player="MPC-HC" />
</rules>

That would need to be ".*720.*|.*1080.*", you've missed the dots (this is a regular expression, not globbing) which definitely are in the example in the wiki Wink
Try this:
Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
      <args>/fullscreen /close</args>
      <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
      <warpcursor>topright</warpcursor>
      </player>
  </players>
<rules>
<rule video="true" player="dvdplayer">
   <rule filetypes="mkv" player="MPC-HC">
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
Edit: whatever Moby says it's "righter" than what I can say. Smile
Has anyone had any success mounting a Blu-ray .iso and playing it via MPC-HC? I'm fairly certain that there's a bug with MPC-HC which causes a "DVD not found" error when you attempt to do this via the command line (it works fine for playing DVD .iso files and it works fine if select "Play DVD..." through the MPC-HC menu to play the now-mounted Blu-ray .iso file). So what I'm asking here isn't for anyone to troubleshoot my .bat script logic or anything, but rather to indicate if there's another branch of MPC-HC or some "experimental" updates to MPC-HC where this issue might have been fixed.

Or, alternatively, what other players are out there that are optimized for the NVIDIA ION GPU which might work well as an external player for XBMC?
Is external player support not working in the Camelot build (linked to on the xbmc.org download page)?

It seems like no matter what I do, it ignores my playercorefactory.xml settings and uses the internal player instead. I know that I can "break" it by renaming playercorefactory.xml so that it won't play anything, but if I have it configured correctly (AFAIK), it seems to use the internal player. I had it working with a prior SVN build, but since trying the Camelot build, I can't seem to restore back to the SVN build I was using with xbmcupdate because xbmcupdate tells me that I've got the latest version (even if I downgrade all the way back to the official Babylon release).
Sorry, I got it working again by tracking down a backup of my old playercorefactory.xml file. Not sure what I had configured wrong, though.

Only remaining problem is that when I stop the movie, it doesn't return control to XBMC properly. I'm thinking that this is perhaps a bug with the Camelot build, as I think that was working fine under the SVN build I was previously using.
Scott R Wrote:Only remaining problem is that when I stop the movie, it doesn't return control to XBMC properly. I'm thinking that this is perhaps a bug with the Camelot build, as I think that was working fine under the SVN build I was previously using.

Scott, is this the problem you are referring to?
patkhoo Wrote:Scott, is this the problem you are referring to?
Yes, I believe so.