Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AC3 problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

First i just thanks guys for this awesome piece of SW. Yes I see the donate button Smile

My problem is playing an AVI with AC3 sound. When I play it the center channel that should be only in center sounds also in all the other speakers of my GENIUS SW 5.1 HT. The VLC plays it correctly. I hope there is a solution. I am using Ubuntu 8.10-64bit+XBMC SVN:16164.

Thank you

-m4rci
Do you have your audio setting configured for AC3 passthrough? Sounds like you're getting a software mixdown.
Where I should look for this setting?

thanx

m4rci
Under "System" (I think). It's called Audio Hardware (or something like that). You should select Digital output and check the box saying your receiver can handle DD output. Then you need to make sure your output devices are correct, which can be a project in and of itself. If you have AC3 output working on VLC, then chances are you can use "default" for both devices. If that doesn't work, try using "iec958" as the passthrough device.
teofil, thanx for quick answer. I have no receiver. All i have is this genius 5.1 speaker system which just an amplifier. Even now I should try digital output?

thanx
Oh, that changes things. I think what you would need to do is do 'aplay -L' to list your audio devices. Commonly, an analog surround device is called 'surround51' or similar. If 'aplay -L' shows a device name called 'surround51', then use that as your audio output device in XBMC. Someone more familiar with this type of setup could probably be of more help.
thank you teofil. The aplay -L shows surrond51 as you adviced. I put it in settings inside XBMC, but nothing changes, stereo in all speakers.

Speaker-test plays all speakers right, if that means something Smile

Also after looking trough this forum again and again I find how to enable "analogmultichannel" in advancedsettings.xml. After enabling it, the played video is without sound Sad

It looks like that the time of buying a receiver is getting closer.

Thank you again

-m4rci
the silence means theres no cure for me? :C
If you are using an onboard intel/nvidia/realtek hd audio, then my post here may help.
thanx flack,

Ill try it and let you know how it comes out.