Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [APPLE TV] Booting directly into XBMC on Apple TV w/o first to Launcher or Front Row
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm using ATV 2.3 and Launcher 2.2 and for some reason can not find out where to get XBMC to boot on startup. Is it not supposed to be under the Launcher heading?

Thanks!
hoagieh Wrote:I'm using ATV 2.3 and Launcher 2.2 and for some reason can not find out where to get XBMC to boot on startup. Is it not supposed to be under the Launcher heading?

Thanks!

read the very first page of the Launcher 2.2 announce thread.
I should have been more specific - I did check out thread and when I go into settings (under launcher) I get Use Universal Mode and ATV OS Update enabled. That's it...
hoagieh Wrote:I should have been more specific - I did check out thread and when I go into settings (under launcher) I get Use Universal Mode and ATV OS Update enabled. That's it...

Don't see how you could have missed the following Smile

Quote:for the thrill seekers: ssh in and

defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCExpertMode 1

then into XBMC and back to frontrow. Launcher will now have an additional menu entry in settings. This toggles the default boot application... Now you can boot directly into XBMC. Quitting XBMC in this mode will return back to frontrow.
Sorry - thought there was an option for the thrill seekers and non thrill seekers. I'll try it after work. Thanks!
I tried this and it didn't work well. Plus, you can't turn the Apple TV off, so the only time it really boots into XBMC is when you unplug it, and plug it back in. If you just put it in Stand-by, the ATV wakes up into the normal FrontRow. Am I missing something?
edge777 Wrote:I tried this and it didn't work well. Plus, you can't turn the Apple TV off, so the only time it really boots into XBMC is when you unplug it, and plug it back in. If you just put it in Stand-by, the ATV wakes up into the normal FrontRow. Am I missing something?

The concept is for users that don't care about frontrow and want the AppleTV to boot directly into XBMC.

You can't turn off the AppleTV under software control and stand-by uses the same amount of watts as running so it's a useless function.
davilla Wrote:The concept is for users that don't care about frontrow and want the AppleTV to boot directly into XBMC.

You can't turn off the AppleTV under software control and stand-by uses the same amount of watts as running so it's a useless function.

So, I ask again, why not just boot into XMBC and leave it there. Is this option in case of power outagesHuh
edge777 Wrote:So, I ask again, why not just boot into XBMC and leave it there. Is this option in case of power outagesHuh

Smile I'll say it again, the concept is for users that don't care about frontrow and want the AppleTV to boot directly into XBMC. They don't want to wait for frontrow to load and then have to select XBMC from Launcher in frontrow. Boom, right into XBMC.
In addition booting direct to XBMC frees up significant resources (RAM) otherwise used by frontrow it seems.

Does this improve XBMC performance in practice Davilla?
SecretSquirrel Wrote:In addition booting direct to XBMC frees up significant resources (RAM) otherwise used by frontrow it seems.

Does this improve XBMC performance in practice Davilla?

It seems snapper to me, not having frontrow running mean extra cpu cycles in addition to less swapping so it should be better running xbmc this way. That's my thinking anyway.
davilla Wrote:Smile I'll say it again, the concept is for users that don't care about frontrow and want the AppleTV to boot directly into XBMC. They don't want to wait for frontrow to load and then have to select XBMC from Launcher in frontrow. Boom, right into XBMC.

Siiiiigghhhhh.... So, here's my question (I'll try to be clear...):

-The ATV ONLY boots when it is first plugged in, that's it, it doesn't turn off.
-The only advantage I see about this is if the power goes out, because... THE ATV DOESN'T TURN OFF.
-Soooooo, why not just boot into XBMC and leave it there.

So, my question is, does this patch have any significance other than when the power goes off, because, the ATV never turns off?

I'm honestly just trying to figure this thing out. I guess I figured, since the ATV never turns off, a person who only wants XBMC would simply just leave their ATV in XBMC. Am I missing somethingHuh
edge777 Wrote:Siiiiigghhhhh.... So, here's my question (I'll try to be clear...):

-The ATV ONLY boots when it is first plugged in, that's it, it doesn't turn off.
-The only advantage I see about this is if the power goes out, because... THE ATV DOESN'T TURN OFF.
-Soooooo, why not just boot into XBMC and leave it there.

So, my question is, does this patch have any significance other than when the power goes off, because, the ATV never turns off?

I'm honestly just trying to figure this thing out. I guess I figured, since the ATV never turns off, a person who only wants XBMC would simply just leave their ATV in XBMC. Am I missing somethingHuh

Yes, you're missing the fact that there are other ways to turn off the power to the AppleTV.

My mainline AppleTV is connect to an X10 controlled power outlet. An IR remote controls this outlet. I hit a button on the X10 IR remote and the AppleTV is off, hit it again and it powers up. In this case, it powers up direct into XBMC. I like it this method of operation.

If you don't like the concept, don't use it. It's a personal choice.
Well one thing I've figured out, you get quite defensive about stuff. Not once did I say I didn't like the feature. What I did say was that I didn't understand it's usefulness (now I do), and that it can create some glitches (exiting from Boxee went into the XBMC launch, which then crashed). Now that answer makes sense, and it's all I was asking for, lol.
edge777 Wrote:Well one thing I've figured out, you get quite defensive about stuff. Not once did I say I didn't like the feature. What I did say was that I didn't understand it's usefulness (now I do), and that it can create some glitches (exiting from Boxee went into the XBMC launch, which then crashed). Now that answer makes sense, and it's all I was asking for, lol.

I think you confuse defensiveness with bluntness. My answers tend to be to the point and blunt, I'm busy with coding, debuging and new features and don't have time for long drawn out forum posts.

I answered your question, you followed up by questioning the usefulness of this function. I gave an example and suggested that if you don't like it, don't use it that way. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as glitches with Launcher 2.2, you do have a choice here too, revert to AppleTV OS r2.2 and run Launcher 0.8, it works very well.
Pages: 1 2