Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Planning on building my HTPC Server-Client setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
i'd love to build a setup like that:

Server:
Big tower with some HDDs in it (lots of space Wink for my movies, music, pictures, ...). Atom Prozessor!!! (Low watts). Running a Linux Server (i like Ubuntu a lot). A TV-Card (I already have a TerraTec Cinergy S2 PCI)

Client:
Maybe the new EEE Box that will come out with HDMI + Ubuntu Running on it and XBMC as software

That's basically it...
Does anybody here (i believe yes Smile ) have experience with something like that?
How does the MythTV Frontend for XBMC work? (does anybody have some screenshots or even a video of the user interface?) How long are the times for switching between chanels? How satisfied are you with a MythTV-XBMC Solution?
Is Linux capable of playing back HD Live TV with my TerraTec Cinergy S2 Card? Any experience yet?

I would really appriciate input from everybody here Smile What do you think?
Maybe also hardware ideas for the server... Anybody knows a good mainboard with Atom CPU and maybe bigger than iTX? With more than 2 SATA connectors?

I'm looking forward to you ideas Smile
Greetings, BliBlaBlo
Start of details on wiki about XBMC and MythTV integration at http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythTV

I've got a box with both the frontend and server components you described all in one box, e.g. 2 x 1Tb drives, 1 digital and 1 analog tuner card, + grunty CPU for HD playback of digital terrestrial content.

Running Mythbuntu 8.10 as the base OS, with XBMC to playback everything. We hardly watch Live TV so the lack of being able to switch channels easily through the XBMC / MythTV integration isn't too problematic.

We schedule recordings and so on through another Ubuntu desktop machine in the house.

For the moment you need a pretty decent CPU if you want to get HD playback running smoothly.
Thanks for your reply...
So there is no hardware acceleration for HD-TV Playback for Linux?
BliBlaBlo Wrote:Thanks for your reply...
So there is no hardware acceleration for HD-TV Playback for Linux?

GPU acceleration is only JUST making it into Linux and not into XBMC yet at all. If you do some searching you will find a great deal of information about this and the other areas of interest you've asked about.