Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Olympia,

I found a typo in the nvidia xorg sections.

you have /etc/X11.xorg should be /etc/X11/xorg

And also the xorg file is being downloaded and named xorg.conf.1 so someone could reboot after the above with no xorg.conf loading, this is remote as xorg.conf would not be overwritten by xorg.conf.1 anyhow but just in case I thought I would mention it.

I have another questions though, If we install Nv' driver via the .run why does the xorg still need to have "glx" in the modules section.

Dave
alanwww1: no, i used to have xbmc atlantis on a full intrepid installation. It worked fine then in 60hz, just i never managed to get 24hz working.

As soon as i get home from the office ill try it in 60hz, im pretty certain it will work, and i will feel like an idiot for not trying it myself Wink
rodercot Wrote:Olympia,

I found a typo in the nvidia xorg sections.

you have /etc/X11.xorg should be /etc/X11/xorg

Thanks man, it's fixed.

rodercot Wrote:And also the xorg file is being downloaded and named xorg.conf.1 so someone could reboot after the above with no xorg.conf loading, this is remote as xorg.conf would not be overwritten by xorg.conf.1 anyhow but just in case I thought I would mention it.

I am not sure what you mean here.

rodercot Wrote:I have another questions though, If we install Nv' driver via the .run why does the xorg still need to have "glx" in the modules section.

Well, I never tried to remove that. But most probably you are right... :p
Olympia,

What I saw was when I dwnld the xorg.conf file as per the wiki and then went into the /etc/X11 directory I had a new file called xorg.conf.1 and my original xorg.conf was still there. I thought that with that command line

sudo wget /etc/X11 -P etc.. it would install the new xorg.conf to the /etc/X11 dir and overwrite the existing file - Maybe I am wrong here.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Olympia,

What I saw was when I dwnld the xorg.conf file as per the wiki and then went into the /etc/X11 directory I had a new file called xorg.conf.1 and my original xorg.conf was still there. I thought that with that command line

sudo wget /etc/X11 -P etc.. it would install the new xorg.conf to the /etc/X11 dir and overwrite the existing file - Maybe I am wrong here.

Dave

WOOOW, you are right. I thought the same...
I will modify this.
I am wondering how it was working for folks before, and how it is possible, that I have not realized it either... Blush

Thanks for this, again! I am happy to know, that I am not alone Smile
olympia Wrote:WOOOW, you are right. I thought the same...
I will modify this.
I am wondering how it was working for folks before, and how it is possible, that I have not realized it either... Blush

Thanks for this, again! I am happy to know, that I am not alone Smile

Probably best to just create a small script that will download the file, rename the old file and copy the new one to the /etc/X11 directory.

Regards,

Dave
rodercot Wrote:Probably best to just create a small script that will download the file, rename the old file and copy the new one to the /etc/X11 directory.

Regards,

Dave

wget command revised, issue solved.

I was thinking about the scripting too, but this way, users get more control, and they are seeing what and why happens. Maybe this way they can learn and understand more. (But maybe I am too optimistic about people).
Thanks for addiing wake on lan, but i do have one question what application should i download to wake the PC? And is the IP the only thing i need or is it MAC wake on lan uses?
spozen Wrote:Thanks for addiing wake on lan, but i do have one question what application should i download to wake the PC? And is the IP the only thing i need or is it MAC wake on lan uses?

I think if you are using static then it is the MAC address of the card you need, but search that on the Ubuntu site to confirm.

Dave
Hey guys,

In my searching for a way to run Myth on this setup I found a good guide on the ubuntu forums.

Here is a link, I have not tried this myself but it is basically what Harry described to me on another thread.

here is the link, this is basically for installing Myth on a ubuntu server.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV...er/Backend

and another,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV...d_Frontend

and finally the channel change scripts

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV...el_Changer

(I use the second I/R script not the .pl version and just commment out the second select command and it is confusing at the top where it says remote name, I tried this with mceusb and it was a no go, I had to leave it to dish for my Express Vu rcvr)

have fun,

Dave
spozen Wrote:Thanks for addiing wake on lan, but i do have one question what application should i download to wake the PC? And is the IP the only thing i need or is it MAC wake on lan uses?

I should have mentioned in the guide that this wol script setup the PC to wake, if magic packet received.

Obiously you only need the MAC address, as a turned of PC don't have any IP address Smile

So you need to find an application which is able to send magic packet. (I am sending the command from my linksys router, so I never tried to find any windows app for this)
olympia Wrote:I should have mentioned in the guide that this wol script setup the PC to wake, if magic packet received.

Obiously you only need the MAC address, as a turned of PC don't have any IP address Smile

So you need to find an application which is able to send magic packet. (I am sending the command from my linksys router, so I never tried to find any windows app for this)

Hehe, yeah didn't think of that :o

How does the application know how this magic packet looks like?
One question if i may. i saw that your xorg.conf was changed to auto detect flatpanel modes via EDID. As far as i know, EDID is only presented if the computer is connected straight to TV? (this is what i have read, im not sure)

I, personally, feed all my devices (htpc, ps3, xbox360, digital tv-box) via my home theather reciever, and then HDMI to TV. And i get EDID that says "Onkyo TX SR606".

Will that xorg.conf work then?

regards
Daniel
spozen Wrote:Hehe, yeah didn't think of that :o

How does the application know how this magic packet looks like?

Huh Which application?

You have to send a magic packet to your htpc from an other computer.

If you want to wake up your htpc from windows, then:
Google, first find for "magic pocket windows":

http://magicpacket.free.fr/
danode Wrote:One question if i may. i saw that your xorg.conf was changed to auto detect flatpanel modes via EDID. As far as i know, EDID is only presented if the computer is connected straight to TV? (this is what i have read, im not sure)

I, personally, feed all my devices (htpc, ps3, xbox360, digital tv-box) via my home theather reciever, and then HDMI to TV. And i get EDID that says "Onkyo TX SR606".

Will that xorg.conf work then?

regards
Daniel

Good question...
If I were you, I would stick with the xorg.conf with the custom modelines, it it works perfectly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44