Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
olympia Wrote:You most probably applied aron's patch. This is a known issue about that. Seems there is no cure yet.

Thank you for your reply, I will probably just recompile it without the patch as i think most if not all of my mkv's play ok without it. However I'm having another issue now, scanning my tv folder crashes XBMC Sad its probably just a bug in whatever SVN version I'm using, when i re download the SVN and compile it without the patch it might fix itself.

Great work anyway, the guide has allowed my friend in Brisbane who has never installed anything but Windows on a computer set this up on his new HTPC with a little help from me.
olympia Wrote:Sure, but he mentioned to use the Live step-by-step guide. Based on that I assume, he compiled recent SVN version.

@danillll
Did you tried the xorg.conf from this Intrepid guide with your Live based system?

In his first post he mentions about switching and installing Live, that is why I brought this up.

I now have the same setups on two machines, one in the living room on a Sharp Aquos 52" using dotbydot (sharp feature = No overscan at all) and the xorg from here works perfectly although I am using the intrepid ppa and I do not have the auoto refresh feature. I plan on upgrading to 17292 over the weekend.

I have r 17292 in the 2nd machine hooked to a supposed native 1920x1080i and using the xorg.conf from here does not work native 1920x1080i is detected via edid but timings are off as I have majow menu flikr everywhere and if I try to change it upon reboot it defaults. I know it is a xorg.conf config issue. 1280x720at55 defaults to 50Hz when set and I still have to resize the desktop in XBMC and again upon reboot I get it forced back to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. I need to insert some mode lines and turn off edid for this TV. I have no control of the TV via menu and have no idea how to access the service menu, I was told when I bought this POS TV that it was the same as the 1080i Viewsonic models. I can also tell when it does not sync on boot as the boot screen is all pushed to the left of the screen and it defaults to 1024x768 until mybunutu take over then switches to default 1920x1080i@60HZ.

So I can turn off full scaling in the xconfig settings and then switch to 1280x720p it looks great and has almost no overscan but as soon as I reboot it's toast.

@olympia - Do you still have a link to your xorg with the modelines in it?

I have my ram in Dual mode Always and 800MHz min.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:@olympia - Do you still have a link to your xorg with the modelines in it?

It's at the same place as the one from the guide, but the file name is xorg.conf.modelines

I hope it helps, but it's not configured for 1080i, but 1080p
ok..... we have a winner... you guys ROCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
harryzimm and all, thanks a bunchhhhhh, I really really appreciate your help.

harryzimm, for a second I was not going to try your suggestion, it just didn't make any sense to me Big Grin but guess what? I gave it a try and it FIXED my problem.... I wish I can get a technical explanation for what it did, I know what dual mode channel is but not sure it affected the refresh rate

you guys made my day, I was very frustrated for last 2 days especially after buying new hardware and struggling with the configuration.

For the record:
my tv is panasonic 50pz700u 1080p/60fps
the auto refresh option exists under XBMC live (re-compiled from the latest svn)
I tested couple of reboots and all options are set correctly, the fps for the gui is set correctly to 60fps and when I play a movie it auto adjust the refresh rate accordingly.
the killa sample is playing smoothly with only 4 drops at the beginning and cpu peaks to 75% COOOLLLL

Olympia: I am using the xorg.conf from the xbmc live guide

Thanks a lot and have a great day

harryzimm Wrote:I had the same problem, the solution believe it or not is to run your ram in dual mode. Which means you need to have two sticks and when you insert your ram make sure you insert it to the same colour slot in the mb. I also upgraded my ram cause cheap ddr2 667 would not cut it. Problem solved. By the way, before i upgraded i also noticed that changing the res around i could get 60hz @ 1920x1080 but it was lost after a reboot.Huh

cheers.
cheers
harryzimm Wrote:Just tested this with the p5n7a-vm and my setup works perfectly it doesn't matter if the tv is on or off when i boot. btw im using your guide so i reckon its a tv issue.

Eek
It seems that your TV is providing signals on HDMI even when it is in standy...
So this also means it use more power and less green... :p
Quote:harryzimm, for a second I was not going to try your suggestion, it just didn't make any sense to me but guess what? I gave it a try and it FIXED my problem.... I wish I can get a technical explanation for what it did, I know what dual mode channel is but not sure it affected the refresh rate.

Yeah i know what you mean, this issue was causing me serious frustration and it was such a simple fix. Im unsure as to why this is needed but happy that it works.

Anyway glad your up and running nowBig Grin

cheers
olympia Wrote:It's at the same place as the one from the guide, but the file name is xorg.conf.modelines

I hope it helps, but it's not configured for 1080i, but 1080p

Well it seems this Konka V7 has a native res of 1366x768 at 60Hz. I have tried to reconfigure the xorg.file for a few different modeline.

If I turn off edid completely and add the modeline for 1280x720 and 1360x768 and 1366x768

Then allow non60hz modes, nodfpnativeres check

It boots at 640x480 and none of the added modes are available anywhere in the xconfig settings menu.

I also tried prefferedmode and mode in the proper places with the same results.

xorg log says that no modes are being requested so it defaults to nvidia auto select and if i enable UsedEDID the tv reports to X all the wrong values. IE reading the xorg log every edid reported mode is outside of the tv reported scan rates both H and V. What a piece of Junk this thing is.

Dave
Is there any way to use this setup, and have nx be able to login with gdm remotely? If I start from full intrepid install without uninstalling gdm, will I still be able to login to a normal desktop if I need to, with a different user?
FYI all,

Thought I would post this little solution in case you get stuck.

IT seems if you use custom modelines in your xorg file and you use the option

Option "UseEDID" " "False"

This will stop X from reading info from the TV BUT it will also KILL your audio from HDMI.

The solution here is to use

Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"

Dave
i followed your tutorial and it works great! Big Grin

I have two screens connected to my xbmc computer, the first is a tv and the other is a projector. Default XBMC is booting on my tv-screen.
If i want to use my projector i have to add this into xorg.conf:
Option "metamodes" "DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

Is it possible to have a button on my MCE remote that when i push it runs a script that:
1. Closes XBMC
2. Checks if the above line is present in my xorg.conf, if it is, it removes the line or just adds a #.
If its not present in xorg.conf, adds the line.
3. Starts XBMC again.

Is this somehow possible?
I think i have the script for changing my xorg.conf here:
cat test.txt | grep '# Option "metamodes" '
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
sed -i 's/ Option "metamodes"/# Option "metamodes"/' test.txt
exit
fi
sed -i 's/# Option "metamodes"/ Option "metamodes"/' test.txt
# The End

So no to my other problem, how do i setup Lirc och irexec or whatever to kill xbmc.bin, i cant get it to work. How do i get a button on my remote to kill xbmc and then execute the above script and then startx -- -br?
Hey, thanks for this awesome guide! I just followed it and almost everything is working perfectly Big Grin

The biggest problem is no sound. My main receiver (onkyo 705) is in for repairs so I'm using an older receiver that only has HDMI passthru. And since it's being passed thru to a projector, thats no good. So I'd like to be able to use the optical output. I've got it connected but there's no sound. Is there a modification I need to make to a file somewhere?

Many thanks!
I followed the guide and it worked great for me! However sound was not working when it was dts or ac3 output via spdif/coax. So I changed iec958 to default and then it worked. So now that I've got the 1080p performance problems fixed and now the sound problems fixed as well, I can fully switch over to xbmc from myth. Way to go xbmc dev team Smile

One bug that I noticed is that the navigation sounds do not work for 30 seconds to 1 minute after watching a video with dts/ac3 compressed sound outputted via spdif/coax. But this problem does not occur if you watch a video with uncompressed stereo sound.
pyrates Wrote:I followed the guide and it worked great for me! However sound was not working when it was dts or ac3 output via spdif/coax. So I changed iec958 to default and then it worked. So now that I've got the 1080p performance problems fixed and now the sound problems fixed as well, I can fully switch over to xbmc from myth. Way to go xbmc dev team Smile

One bug that I noticed is that the navigation sounds do not work for 30 seconds to 1 minute after watching a video with dts/ac3 compressed sound outputted via spdif/coax. But this problem does not occur if you watch a video with uncompressed stereo sound.

Where did you change that setting?

I've discovered something new with my problem. The sound does work with any movie that has a digital soundtrack, and doesn't work if it's stereo. In XBMC settings, I've tried digital and analog, only digital works.

My nav sounds never work. I've tried every different mode my receiver has.

My motherboard is an ASUS P5N7A-VM
majorheadache Wrote:Where did you change that setting?

I've discovered something new with my problem. The sound does work with any movie that has a digital soundtrack, and doesn't work if it's stereo. In XBMC settings, I've tried digital and analog, only digital works.

My nav sounds never work. I've tried every different mode my receiver has.

My motherboard is an ASUS P5N7A-VM

Did you follow the guide? Some parts of it I found weren't necessary because I had mythbuntu installed, so no nvidia drivers needed to be installed since I had installed them already during the setup of mythbuntu. But I did update alsa using the guide and it worked for me.

For my sound settings, I had selected digital, ac3, dts, and default for both entries below that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44