Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Great guide!
I have no idea how Linux works, but following your guide step-by-step eventually got me booted into XBMC! Big Grin

The thing is... I have no keyboard! Infrared mouse works fine, but a DiNovo Edge and DiNovo Mini doesn't work (both Bluetooth). I'm assuming this has something to do with LIRC, but i honestly have no idea - they both worked in terminal.

As I haven't gotten to much playing around (as mouse-navigating sucks) I don't really know, if everything is running as it should.

One thing I noticed: when booting up XBMC my plasma reports the resolution to be 1080i (should be 1080p), but changing the resolution in XBMC only resizes the XBMC window, the resolution stays the same (and when moving the mouse out of the XBMC window, the cursor just changes to a "X" on a black bg).

Wee, this is actually my first post, though I've been registered for a while... Been using XBMC since the Xbox was hacked and it was just the best media center one could ask for! But now HD is a necessity, so I have to get it running on my HTPC. I've used the Windows build since atlantis beta 1, and while it's been good it hasn't been perfect, so though I'm a Windows guru, I've decided to go for Linux - which I have absolutely no idea of how to operate - a simple thing as a missing keyboard is so easy to fix on Win, but with Linux I just don't know where to start Sad

EDIT: I'm on Hardy!
EDIT2: Update: A PS/2 keyboard doesn't work either, though when the screen dimms due to inactivity, I can get it active again with the with it, but I have no control of the GUI - the DiNovos have no contact what so ever! I guess these are two seperate problems :/
... yes, I've been f5'ing ever since my original post Big Grin

EDIT3: One more question and this is just about general Linux usage: how the hell do you shut it down? Pressing the power button just suspends and remote "sudo shutdown 0" just gives me a recovery menu! I'm so lost here. At one point I accidently set the shutdown to 10 as I thought it meant seconds... it was minutes! So I actually sat there for 10mins just looking at the screen, as I couldn't input any commands and I don't know how a hard-off can affect a Linux install :/ n00balicious! Big Grin
PiNCH Wrote:The thing is... I have no keyboard! Infrared mouse works fine, but a DiNovo Edge and DiNovo Mini doesn't work (both Bluetooth). I'm assuming this has something to do with LIRC, but i honestly have no idea - they both worked in terminal.

MY notebook is running out of battery, so all can I say now is to search on the forum on how to remove splash screens (you most probably installed one of them). There is a bug around this, so you have to remove usplash.
olympia Wrote:MY notebook is running out of battery, so all can I say now is to search on the forum on how to remove splash screens (you most probably installed one of them). There is a bug around this, so you have to remove usplash.

I did, and will do! Thanks for pointing out the way Big Grin
I actually read through the first 13 or so pages of this thread and did a keyword search on "keyboard" through the rest - no one seems to be addressing this issue :confused2:
Code:
# sudo apt-get remove usplash-theme-ubuntu libusplash-dev usplash

That did the trick for anybody interested! Got full control of the interface now! Big Grin

So far, it all looks pretty well, although two things i noticed: the 1080i-issue is still at hand + the brightness is too low! Changing the brightness settings ín the panels settings, nothing happens (apart from black being more grey). Changing it in XBMC lets me see, what was previously hidden in black areas - but the image quality suffers greatly from this! This may partly be due to my GFX (Geforce 8800GT) as the problem was also somewhat visible on Windows, though it wasn't nearly as bad...

I know I'm supposed to post logs, but I have no idea which (or how for that matter, but that i can figure out)... ?
I was using optical out but have had to change to HDMI because my amp is broken.

So the XBMC box is connected straight to the TV over hdmi. All I get when I play MKV files is a loud static sound. It doesn't have any sound when playing other files.

What do I need to do to make HDMI work. Do I need to reinstall asla or xbmc?

I'm using the ASUS P5N7A-VM so it should just work as per the guide right?
molesza Wrote:I was using optical out but have had to change to HDMI because my amp is broken.

So the XBMC box is connected straight to the TV over hdmi. All I get when I play MKV files is a loud static sound. It doesn't have any sound when playing other files.

What do I need to do to make HDMI work. Do I need to reinstall asla or xbmc?

I'm using the ASUS P5N7A-VM so it should just work as per the guide right?

You dont need to change alsa. Just set this in xbmc

dolby digital set to off
dts cabable reciever set to off
output audio device hdmi
passthrough device hdmi
downmix multichannel audio set to on

This works for me on the same motherboard

cheers.
Thanks! I will try that and report back
harryzimm Wrote:You dont need to change alsa. Just set this in xbmc

dolby digital set to off
dts cabable reciever set to off
output audio device hdmi
passthrough device hdmi
downmix multichannel audio set to on

This works for me on the same motherboard

cheers.

hey molesza, once you set this up be sure to check playback of audio if you use xbmc's music library function. i have onboard intel hd audio with my geforce 8200 chipset and the hdmi codec only supports 48k and 96k samplerates wheras the analogue codec supports all samplerates. what was happening was that the system would try to open hdmi at 44.1k for an mp3/ogg/whatever, it would fail and default to 48k. music at 48k sounds like chipmunk music to me.... you might not notice in the music except for a slightly faster beat, but you'll definitely notice a difference in the vocals. anyway, earlier on i posted a change where you tell alsa to slave the hdmi device off the analog device and tell xbmc to play the audio to the default (analogue) device. it worked marvellously to solve my problem. i don't know for sure whether alsa is doing the resampling or its happening in the internals, i just know it works. if you need those details reposted, let me know.
Has anyone tried this with Jaunty yet?
Yepp, I'm running it with Jaunty. Works like a charm. Still have a little trouble with boot up screen though. Probably have to recompile it.
I've went through the full guide in the wiki and did exactly as stated. Everything seems to work perfectly except when I start playing the movie file over the network, after say about 2 minutes it just freezes and I can't do anything except to remote in and reboot. I don't know if using a flash drive has anything to do with it?

Yes I know there can be many possibilities but right now I'm not sure where to start.

My setup is below.

ubuntu 8.04 minimal with openssh

my setup are below:
CPU: AMD Sempron LE1250
Motherboard: Asus M3N78-EM
RAM: 2gb DDR 2 800
usb 8g flash drive
microsoft desktop 6000 wireless keyboard/mouse
sony dvd drive

That's about it. I had tried playing other files and it does the same thing. Can anyone assist me in how I can do other test to see why this is happening?

Oh I'm trying this out through a 17" 1280x1024 LCD monitor through VGA. I don't know if the resolution's affecting it?
one thing I noticed is that when I look at cpu info. Sometimes it says 1000mhz and sometimes it says the correct 2200mhz.

I'm stumped Sad
NeoX Wrote:one thing I noticed is that when I look at cpu info. Sometimes it says 1000mhz and sometimes it says the correct 2200mhz.

I'm stumped Sad

CPU throttling down to save power?
pretty sure I disabled it in bios though, unless it's done from within linux?

I'm going to get a hdd and install it on that tonight and see if it's better since the usbflash seems bit slow?

Really don't want to use windows as it'll take forever to load compared to linux Smile
sudo aptitude remove powernowd
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44