Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
althekiller Wrote:We will of course get a guide which we approve of up in this one's place ASAP. It will not however involve compiling anything, downloading random scripts, or hacking at config files. This level of linux has no place in our wiki...

Okay, well I hope that Olympia hosts something somewhere else to help the intermediate to advanced user get up and running with a minimal install and SVN. I can understand team XBMC not wanting a newbie following those instructions, however for myself, I started using the guide during the VDPAU branch development, and it was very good for someone who knows Linux but not the ins and outs of multimedia drivers etc to get up an running.

xnappo
Again for those who want the guide to grab a copy like I did, here's the link to the last revision before it was removed:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ldid=12597
althekiller Wrote:I did, my warnings were removed or at least numbed to the point most anyone would glance over it without concern.

@olympia, I may have misspoken when I said many users came on the forums complaining their system didn't work. Thinking back, most came on the IRC channel. There were probably 3-5 per week for awhile. As for you asking me "personally several times" I only remember talking with you about it once. I described the portions I wasn't pleased with and why. I don't go following forum threads or any nonsense like that. So, if you posted in one thinking I was keeping track of it, I apologize, but there's always PM.

We will of course get a guide which we approve of up in this one's place ASAP. It will not however involve compiling anything, downloading random scripts, or hacking at config files. This level of linux has no place in our wiki, the margin for error and potential for disaster is just too great. It will instead likely be based around the new xsession file and autologin at the DM. Sure, some will want a more *stripped* build. But Team XBMC has no aspirations of providing the how to or supporting such a method.

So in other words it was never about the so called "bad parts" of the guide that you deemed to be incorrect, you just didn't want this kind of setup in the first place. That would explain why you never told those who could edit it what needed to be changed. Thanks for using the excuse that it was full of bad practices as the lie. Your original excuse no longer adds up and I can no longer trust your reasons for removing it since you lied in the first place.
pyrates Wrote:So in other words it was never about the so called "bad parts" of the guide that you deemed to be incorrect, you just didn't want this kind of setup in the first place. That would explain why you never told those who could edit it what needed to be changed. Thanks for using the excuse that it was full of bad practices as the lie. Your original excuse no longer adds up and I can no longer trust your reasons for removing it since you lied in the first place.

Uhm...OK. I'm not sure how you constructed that line of crap. The "bad parts" were extremely unsafe (main reason for disapproval), not incorrect, UNSAFE. These are the parts I'm talking about not wanting to support. The apt breakage stuff was secondary, it looks bad for "us" to be recommending people bad practices like these. Not to mention when users go off looking for support for other things, most will be less likely to help because their system is "non-standard." If you want to go on trying to paint me as the bad guy (I wasn't even the one to remove it), go for it. But in the long run this the safe option for XBMC user's as a whole.
Thanks for the link to the old guide. I was surprised to see it gone. Even if it was outdated, there was a lot of useful information there. Perhaps it would have been enough to add a disclaimer at the top that it was out of date.
A small request / suggestion.
If the "new" guide is going to be based on a DM and .xsession could you possibly consider avoiding using a bloated ubuntu desktop. Perhaps openbox or fluxbox and a lightweight dm. The main reason I used the guide was its minimal and lean nature thus allowing me to later install what I want.

Another suggestion regarding installing build dependancies. Instead of constantly providing and maintaining a long apt-get install for build dependancies, why not include the PPA install the build-dep.

What I use:
Code:
#!bin/bash
# Update Apt Sources List xbmc PPA to get build Deps
sudo echo "" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo echo "#XBMC PPA" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/jaunty-ppa/ubuntu jaunty main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/jaunty-ppa/ubuntu jaunty main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 9F10E6AE9317790E
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y build-dep xbmc

Note to some:
This is for 9.04 Jaunty. Adjust the deb and deb sources to suit.

Edit: also the keyserver Key...

Zepp
althekiller Wrote:Uhm...OK. I'm not sure how you constructed that line of crap. The "bad parts" were extremely unsafe (main reason for disapproval), not incorrect, UNSAFE. These are the parts I'm talking about not wanting to support. The apt breakage stuff was secondary, it looks bad for "us" to be recommending people bad practices like these. Not to mention when users go off looking for support for other things, most will be less likely to help because their system is "non-standard." If you want to go on trying to paint me as the bad guy (I wasn't even the one to remove it), go for it. But in the long run this the safe option for XBMC user's as a whole.

I apologize for my outburst. I thought it had been you that had removed it. But you were also the only one defending it being removed. Hence you got the majority of my anger about it. Everyone else here seemed to have hated it being removed. You had also been accused of constantly being asked what was wrong with the guide and had never given any feed back on what could be changed. Do you get the picture now?

I still prefer this guide and will be referring to it in the future. It was also the guide that was used for anyone who wanted to do bug testing on the latest svn build, like me.
althekiller Wrote:I did, my warnings were removed or at least numbed to the point most anyone would glance over it without concern.

@olympia, I may have misspoken when I said many users came on the forums complaining their system didn't work. Thinking back, most came on the IRC channel. There were probably 3-5 per week for awhile. As for you asking me "personally several times" I only remember talking with you about it once. I described the portions I wasn't pleased with and why. I don't go following forum threads or any nonsense like that. So, if you posted in one thinking I was keeping track of it, I apologize, but there's always PM.

Hehhh, it's getting more and more fun.
I always deciding not to react any more, but AlTheKiller again and again is able to "poke me into action".

@althekiller
It's a bit difficult to me to getting into this argument with you, as XBMC is the best media center in the world and you'are one of the great devs, who contributed and make it happen. So I truelly respect you and your contribution!

As a result of that, I really don't want to "paint you as a bad guy", but at least you're for sure not a nice one. I really don't know and understand why I deserved your antipathy. It was getting personal like "Some ass hat replaced with with some broke ass english"; "Making people blindly dl scripts then not explaining them is a great help to the community"; or "The author deemed it fit to just dump this info out with out thoroughly explaining it. Makes you wonder if he even knows how it works, eh?". All in all the only reason I am replying now, becasue you stated a few things which I feel need to be defended.

You guys are always saying to folks not to build XBMC communities outside of the official site. Instead of that, you encourage people to come here to contribute and make things better (on the wiki as well). Now you're suggesting to me to host my guide elsewhere. I won't!

I can stand any criticism (being positive or negative), but not lying, or when people say verdict from something they don't know.

Let's see come facts:
Based on the following IRC discussion on 04-28-2009 with TheUni it seems you were not reading and understand the whole purpose of the guide: "AlTheKiller: Only part I've read is the auto-boot section."
Prior to this date you were bombing already the guide and say it is a "full crap". How you know this if you were not reading it upfront?

You stated there were 3-5 support request on IRC per week for a while, compaining about the guide. I checked back the IRC logs for a month and I haven't found any of them! Why you're stating something which is not true?

It also happened, that once you realized somebody asking for your support was following my guide, you were not willing to help even if there was nothing to do with the installation method.

You also mentioned it's a nonsense for you to following forum threads. Yes, mainly I asked your help and suggestions on the forum, I think just once in PM. As you really seemed to ignore me, it's true that I didn't start to spam your personal inbox with my messages. Maybe it's my bad, but why to talk somebody who is not willing to respond you?

In this case I think you neither followed this thread so you probably haven't realized, that ALMOST ALL problems and support request concerning the guide itself was responded and SOLVED here.

And some words about the guide:

- Yes, let's say it's unsafe, I agree with that! But if you would really want to solve this, you could offer to host the files on a trusted host and lock the wiki entry from being edit even by ninja right.
- It would also be possible not to host the files, but use pastebin to share the content of the files, then modify the guide to copy-paste into a file. It would be a little bit more safer, but lot more uncomfortable
- Concerning alsa upgrade. Yes, it's break apt, but it was indeed NEEDED for proper sound setup on Hardy and Intrepid. There were no other solution. I am not sure about Jaunty.

So all in all once more:

I accept and respect your decision!
But please don't say things which are not true about support requests, nor that the guide didn't worked!
@olympia

I gotta say your guide rocked and was good for someone who didn't want to put up with the problems that was in the released version of XBMC. Which for me at the time was ac3/dts compressed output support.

Some suggestions in case your guide does come back up:

1. Remove the packages that referenced ALSA so that when the upgrade script is ran, it doesn't break the package management system. If xbmc needs them, then I think the development versions would only be needed in this case.
2. For any scripts that are downloaded, instead of providing the link, put the contents of the scripts in a text box as code like this:
Quote:test
test
test
3. Put up that this is for development testing only. Must have knowledge of linux previously in order to do it.
For what it's worth Olympia that minimal installation was great. It initially brought my idle CPU utilization down to below 10% on both processors without all the gdm, gnome and compiz crap, not to mention pulse at the time (IF I remember right, right around your releasing the minimal install the processors were running 90-100% watching an sd movie! Now using your script, or the one you took down, with the latest VDpau my processor usage running BD is below 15% on both and more like below 10%. That is an amazing step in the right direction. Thank you everyone for a wonderful ride. P.S. I have tried the latest PPA method and it is broken somehow. I just never had any problem with yours using svn checkout.

Thank you
About Olympia's guide:

I am building htpcs for years now, started on windows.
I moved to linux since about year. First i had no knowledge about linux stuff. I had to learn a lot of things to make a perfect htpc.

I have to say that a guide like Olympia's is so great help and inspiration that one can save hours or days of googling and installing and re-installing. If one wants to know how it works he can open up all scripts and analyze the working of those. This is a really great way of learning stuff.

I think a guide like this should exists even next to xbmc.live, because some people want to customize the system and this is a great way to start building a custom media center.

I was unlucky that i made my first steps without Olympia's guide existing. Now i see how much time a could have saved if had a guide like this.

I really appriciate that Olympia is updating and supporting this guide. I know it could be as painfull and needs a lot of time, like developing. I think we could be thankful that someone is making this job. As it needs constant update. I mean for example there is a brand new Alsa outthere 1.0.20 which solved my ALC889A HDA INTEL soundcard suspend problems and could be a great help for others also. This new Alsa version is not even possible in the brand-new Jaunty release. On Hardy in repository's they have 1.0.16 i guess.

So thanks again Olympia !

Regards,

Alan
Well, a very bad decision from the xbmc officials to simply remove olympia's guide and not presenting a working alternative NOW...

Personally, i read and understood all the warnings in olympias guide and i was aware of the problematic "wget http://ip/file". It was my decision to use it and it was a good one. The guide also included a lot of very helpful tips and I even built my htpc around the mentioned asus board to get the optimal hardware platform.

Olympia, thanks for all your great work!! I hope, your guide lives on in some way...

To the xbmc officials: hopefully your new wiki also covers stuff like ubuntu optimizations or a minimal install. Otherwise maybe think about better supporting and extending I.Capirottis Live Version into that direction. Lots of people including me want a clean and small installation and not a full blown up ubuntu install. Good luck!
Olympia, you have done a great job and helpt many people including me!
Thanks to you i have a xbmc mini install...

It sucks that your excellent guide is gone, cant it be hosted somewhere else??
I really really want it to be up to date and online!

Honestly, all of this "not supported by xbmc" sucks and everyone should have their own choise if they want to go on with an installationguide on a forum with a lots of warnings.
The guide was perfekt!
I am new to this OS and trying to get it working. Finally got the putty communicating with PC and lappy. I am stuck at the paste command.

How you do the paste command in putty window(Command line)?
ilavu Wrote:I am new to this OS and trying to get it working. Finally got the putty communicating with PC and lappy. I am stuck at the paste command.

How you do the paste command in putty window(Command line)?

Once you've copied something to the clipboard, just right click on the putty window. Should paste what is in the clipboard to their.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44