Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC on Apple TV really slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! Been seraching around abit on the forum, but didn´t quite find an answer to this problem.
I just got my Apple TV today. Thought that would be a good upgrade from the ol Xbox, bu so far I was really wrong...having the same problems I was having on the xbox. I share media from my Windows XP computer. Using Windows SMB or ccxstream which I used with my Xbox. Starting XBMC on ATV is fast, but when I go into my SMB or ccxstream server it gets really slow...takes about 5 min to open a folder and then about 5 or more minutes just to open a file. It even freezes sometimes...well i donno...I waited about 30 min for a movie to open before I turned my ATV off...There has to be something I´m doin wrong. The files I´m opening are normal xvid tv shows or movies. Anyone got any tips for me...any other ways I should share my files to the Apple TV? Could anything on the windows computer contribute to this? I really hope I can find an answer to this...and didn´t just waste alot of money for something I cannot use.

Thank you for any help you guys can give me :-)

Kim
Do you have many files in the same directory? When you enter any directory xbmc will read the extended attributes from EVERY single file in the directory, this might be very slow in a share with some hundred files. And when you try to play a file xbmc wil read AGAIN the extended attributes from EVERY file.

Try deactivating this behavior to see if you got the same problem, here is my advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
        <skiploopfilter>8</skiploopfilter>
        <samba>
                <statfiles>false</statfiles>
        </samba>
</advancedsettings>
Wound - you're not using wireless on the AppleTV on version 2.3 are you by any chance?

I found I couldn't get more than 1Mbps transfer using SMB from my AppleTV using wireless. Wired connection - its great.
SpannerBracket Wrote:Wound - you're not using wireless on the AppleTV on version 2.3 are you by any chance?

I found I couldn't get more than 1Mbps transfer using SMB from my AppleTV using wireless. Wired connection - its great.
Mine works fine - but generally needs a power off and on again to get the bandwidth for some reason. After that I can stream my DVD rips from SMB shares quite happily. At the first power up of the day it's very slow. I have a spare wireless bridge so will also try with that.