Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 2TB SATA hard disk released. Tell me how to put this in my xbox please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Its here for retail:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/27/weste...-gets-pre/
OK I know that the xbox is IDE or PATA. However I know people are using SATA devices.

Obviously I will need a device like this:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7533

I know the xbox bios can address 2TB. I know yo have to have a later firmware modchip to break the 200GB limit.

Please tel me what I else need to know. To have an xbox with 2TB of media. Formaters and partitioners?

Also is this possible?
Just get the AID 4.4 installer and then partition f or f & g using xbpartioner which is on that disk.
If a partition is over 1TB you will need 128kb clusters
If less than 1tb but greater than 512 gigs you need 64kb clusters.

I would use f & g and make them both less than 1tb then you can format in 64kb clusters and not waste so much space on the large cluster size.

That program should set the cluster size automatically. It is very easy to use.
Should be no problems at all.
Seems like a waste to me...Why not just put it in a NAS so other PCs on your network can access everything from it too?
i agree. i put a 500gb in mine for trips and stuff. 600 movies. every MP3 I'd ever want, every rom for every emulator, and still room to spare. Just no xbox games on it. a 2 TB is a good NAS drive.

besides, so many problems that I've read about ppl using a sata in an xbox
Want a box i can take to my friends and family with all my stuff on it.
xbmcmomomo Wrote:Want a box i can take to my friends and family with all my stuff on it.

Bring the NAS with it along with either a cross cable or a small switch. It really isn't much more to bring and leaves you with more options in the long run.
What are the SAtA problems that people get?
smcnally75 Wrote:Bring the NAS with it along with either a cross cable or a small switch. It really isn't much more to bring and leaves you with more options in the long run.

My NAS Device looks somthing like this setup its the great NSLU2 running linux. So not the most portable.Laugh

LOL! I guess yours isn't very portable Smile
I wouldn't trust a 2TB disk to FATX. Hell, I wouldn't trust a 2TB disk outside of a raid5 array. WAY too much shit to loose.
althekiller Wrote:I wouldn't trust a 2TB disk to FATX. Hell, I wouldn't trust a 2TB disk outside of a raid5 array. WAY too much shit to loose.

Yeah that is what people said when 100 meg hard drives came along Smile
you can still back em up. Even raid won't be of any use soon anyway once drives get a little bit bigger.
Kilack Wrote:Yeah that is what people said when 100 meg hard drives came along Smile
you can still back em up. Even raid won't be of any use soon anyway once drives get a little bit bigger.

Just a bit of thought for you: With what are you going fill this 2TB drive up? MP3, DivX? There is this small factor that in my opinion renders this solution bad: FatX filesystem on Xbox. One File can't be larger than 3,9GB so there goes DVD Dump .iso files (typically 6-8GB).. I Use outside solution, NAS device on my LAN. There I have 3TB of space with no filesize restrictions..
Kilack Wrote:Yeah that is what people said when 100 meg hard drives came along Smile
Huh? Parity's usefulness isn't going anywhere.

realjobe Wrote:Just a bit of thought for you: With what are you going fill this 2TB drive up? MP3, DivX? There is this small factor that in my opinion renders this solution bad: FatX filesystem on Xbox. One File can't be larger than 3,9GB so there goes DVD Dump .iso files (typically 6-8GB).. I Use outside solution, NAS device on my LAN. There I have 3TB of space with no filesize restrictions..
rar -m0 -v15M movie.rar movie.iso

Not that I'm advocating use of the piece of shit that is FATX Wink The file naming limitations are retarded and using 128k clusters is going to be fragmented to hell in no time.
As these capacities are hitting the limitations of drive error rates. If you do a read of every sector in the disk, the odds are increasing that you're going to hit an I/O error at some point, even on a perfectly good disk.

Current filesystems don't deal well with this--if there's an error, the data
is gone. That's why people are working on next-generation filesystems, like
ZFS, HAMMER and btrfs, to cope with these huge, less-than-perfectly-reliable drives.

It'll start to fail pretty dramatically once hard drives get up to 10TB
capacity or so. At that point it'll be just about impossible to do a full
(re)build of a RAID container without hitting at least one I/O error.
That's pretty much fatal to RAID.
I have several things on my xbox drive with a 250gig drive. I'm to the point of wanting a little more room and thought for a brief second of buying a bigger drive for my box.

It boiled down to do I realy want to trust an unsupported file system above that? Welp I decided it was safer to build a remote machine and store files on it. You can upgrade it when ever you want and it only needs a cat5 cable to access it. Sure it requires more power since its another machine, but I can access via my xbox, my laptop, my home machine and its way easier to move things around.

Its not as cool as having it in my xbox anymore, but since space is limited it only makes sense to go remote.
Pages: 1 2