Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid) step-by-step (ATi)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is a wiki about setting up Intrepid to be a full XBMC system. The wiki was developed by olympia (the one who made the nVidia guide and wrote most of this guide).

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Inst...ep-by-step

Changelog:
27/01/2009
Updated install instructions for flash drives
19/01/2009
ALSA script has been modified to download and install ALSA 1.0.19
18/01/2009
- Change the mode, XBMC starts (from xinit to "startx -- -br"). This way, we avoid the gray dithered window of X. It's now black. Thanks to l.capriotti.

Orginal Guide is here, for the NVIDIA drivers:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44019

This had been modified for the ATi drivers.

Guide Credit gos to olympia.

----------

A guide for installing XBMC on Ubuntu Intrepid Minimal CD version.

Please note:
- I only tested this with ATi
- The guide is for using XBMC on a dedicated HTPC, so there is not any window manager installed
- You need minimum 4GB size flash drive or hard disk to go

This guide walks you through how to install every needed components and XBMC itself, but try to leave to footprint as small as it can.

You will get:
- A dedicated HTPC autoboot to XBMC
- Latest XBMC SVN version
- Upgraded ALSA driver
- Upgraded ATi driver
- Lirc (According to olympia, MS MCE Remote works out of the box, so everybody with other remotes and LCD displays are in his/ her own to solve the individual Lirc issues)
- Suspend/ resume (works perfectly on ASUS P5N7A-VM)

So, let’s start:

FIRST STEP
Download, burn and install Ubuntu Intrepid mini.iso from here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

You can also use Intrepid Server Edition from here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Just select Server, pick the mirror closest to you, and then click the download button.

Way use Server over Mini?

I had problems downloading files from the mirrors when installing with the mini. With server, most the files are on the CD. At the boot menu, after you select your language, hit F4 and arrow down to Minimal Install, then hit enter again to start the install. This also works for people will a slow connection.

Apparently there seems to be an issue with Intrepid installer if you are installing to a flash drive. It's not installing GRUB for some reason.

You have to options:
Either install Hardy(Ubuntu 8.04) mini.iso first, which is install GRUB, then right after that, install Intrepid mini.iso over the same flash drive. It will reformat the drive, but GRUB will stay alive on the drive.

Second option is that right after Intrepid mini installation, boot up Intrepid mini.iso from the CD again, choose rescue mode, and there you will find an "install GRUB" option.

During the installation, please set „xbmc” as username and password at the account creation.

At the end, when you have to choose from the optional components, check only „OpenSSH” to be able to access your HTPC remotely via SSH.

After you’re done, boot it up, then use an SSH application (e.g. putty) to log in remotely from your desktop, using the above created username and password. This way, you will be able to copy/ paste all the steps below. Alternatively you can use your console, but then you will have a hard time type in everything.

So once you logged in:

First of all, update the repos, and install all prerequisites using:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo apt-get update

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo apt-get install –y subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev wget build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xorg pm-utils mingetty

Please note, that as this is a guide for dedicated HTPC and in this case we mostly need passthrough, I choose NOT to install the libs for Pulseaudio and compile XBMC later without Pulseaudio support. As far I understand, only ALSA is needed in this case.

To upgrade ALSA:

I have modified the ALSA upgrade script (available at Ubuntuforums), and now it is working with only “-di” option in our case here (Also on ASUS P5N7A-VM).

To download and use:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#wget http://217.20.138.65/AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.15-Ben.sh

NEXT STEP

Code:
#chmod 777 AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.15-Ben.sh

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo ./AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.15-Ben.sh -di

This mini version of Intrepid has a bug (or maybe a feature), that the user created at installation is not added to the „audio” group. We need the correct this:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo usermod -a -G audio xbmc

or replace „xbmc” with username you installed with

reboot the computer:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo reboot

For some reason, the driver snapshot for ALSA 1.0.19 is not always downloading properly; in this case you have to run the script again. To check whether the driver upgraded or not:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#more /proc/asound/version

If you see driver version 1.0.19 here, you can continue, but if there is 1.0.17 as driver version, then you have to repeat the last 3 STEP (upgrade, reboot, check).

If it’s OK, then you can delete the just downloaded ALSA source to free up some disk space:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo rm -r /usr/src/Alsa-1.0.19/

Now run alsamixer:
NEXT STEP

Code:
#alsamixer

Navigate right with cursor keys until IEC958 and unmute all three of them (IEC958) with „M” key. You should see in case of all three IEC958 a „00” in green background. Press „ESC” to quit from alsamixer.

Now, you have to edit the following file, using nano for example:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

and add this line to the end:

Code:
#options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

To update ATi driver

To start off, there are some necessary programs you need.

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo apt-get install -y build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++5 dkms

Now to get the run file. This is for both x86 and 64-bit systems.

NEXT STEP

Code:
#wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo sh ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/intrepid

(NOTE: if you are using Hardy, then switch intrepid to hardy)

Once the deb files are made, you need to install them.

32-BIT SYSTEMS

Code:
#sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx_8.561-0ubuntu1_i386.deb fglrx-kernel-source_8.561-0ubuntu1_i386.deb fglrx-amdcccle_8.561-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

Skip to ,,install XBMC'' if you install the 32-bit edtion.

64-BIT SYSTEMS

Code:
#sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx_8.561-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-kernel-source_8.561-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_8.561-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

The above dpkg command (64-bit only) may complain that "Errors were encountered while processing: fglrx-amdcccle". This is because of a dependency of the amdccle package on 32 bit libraries. If you receive this error, issue the following command after the above dpkg command, which will force the installation of all of the 32 bit dependencies, and then the amdcccle package.

FIX 64-BIT

Code:
#sudo apt-get install -f

The 64-bit systems requires the --force-overwrite command in the above dpkg command

Code:
#sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite xorg-driver-fglrx_8.561-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-kernel-source_8.561-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb fglrx-amdcccle_8.561-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Now you can delete ATi installer and deb files.

NEXT STEP

Code:
#rm ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run  *.deb

To install XBMC (latest SVN)

NEXT STEP

Code:
#svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC

Wait for downloading XBMC source files, might takes long time, depend on your Internet connection. After it downloaded:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#cd XBMC

OPTIONAL STEP
If you experience problems with Intrepid ffmpeg performance (most probably you will) which is under discussion here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43075, you may want to try aron's patch (thank you aron, for this).

Please be aware, that this is not supported and not recommended by team-XBMC. If you don't want to install this patch, just skip all the optional steps and jump to the closest "NEXT STEP".

OPTIONAL STEP2

Code:
#wget http://trac.xbmc.org/raw-attachment/ticket/5680/xbmc_ffmpeg_mt.patch

OPTIONAL STEP3

Code:
#patch -p0 < xbmc_ffmpeg_mt.patch

Then configure/compile/install XBMC:

NEXT STEP

Code:
#./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse

NEXT STEP

Code:
#make -j2

(NOTE: use only „make”, if you don’t have a dualcore CPU)
This is again, can take a a while, depend on your CPU speed.

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo make install
Setup Xorg

This was when I configured my Xorg. This needs to be done before you can run XBMC.

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add this to the Xorg file.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "ATi"
        Driver      "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen"
        Device     "ATi"
        Monitor    "Monitor"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

The biggest thing is to make sure the following line to the Device section (if it does not already exist). Include the following lines without [...]

Code:
Section "Device"
    [...]
    Driver        "fglrx"
    [...]
EndSection

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo aticonfig --initial -f

Some people find that changes to xorg.conf don't get used by the driver. To force the ati driver to adopt changes made to xorg.conf, type the following command.

Code:
#sudo aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1

To autoboot and autostart XBMC

NEXT STEP

Code:
#cd ..

Or "cd $home"

NEXT STEP

Code:
#wget http://217.20.138.65/xbmc/.xsession

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo nano /etc/event.d/tty2

In here comment out the last line (with #) and add the following line. The end of the file should look like this:

Code:
respawn
#exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty2
exec /sbin/mingetty --autologin xbmc tty2

Or replace "xbmc" with the username you installed Ubuntu Mini.

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo nano .bash_profile

Copy the following text, then save the file:

Code:
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty2 ]; then

startx -- -br

fi

To install Lirc

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo apt-get install –y lirc

And follow the wizard.

Power Management

To be able to control power management (suspend, shutdown, reboot) from within XBMC, you have to change PolicyKit.conf

NEXT STEP

Code:
#sudo wget -P/etc/PolicyKit http://217.20.138.65/xbmc/PolicyKit.conf

If you wish to enable CPU scaling feature:

First of all, don’t forget to enable it in the BIOS.

Code:
#sudo apt-get powernowd

Sound configuration in XBMC

After booted into XBMC switch to „digital” audio output, than choose the AC3 and DTS capabilities according to your receiver.
For SPDIF: leave audio output device: default and passthrough on IEC958
For HDMI: change both audio output device and passthrough to hdmi (you will loose analog sound eg. navigation sound in case of hdmi)
Hi.
Sorry if im wrong here but isn't this just a copy of olympia's guide but with a small how-to for ati cards. If thats the case maybe you should have contacted olympia so he could add ati settings to his guide. Seems stupid to have two guides.

cheers.
harryzimm Wrote:Hi.
Sorry if im wrong here but isn't this just a copy of olympia's guide but with a small how-to for ati cards. If thats the case maybe you should have contacted olympia so he could add ati settings to his guide. Seems stupid to have two guides.

cheers.

Yes, it is his with a modification to use the ATi drivers. Before I posted this guide, I had PMed him and asked him if he would mind me doing this. He was alright with it. Yes and no to having 2 guides. Yes because it is a repeat of the other one for the most part, no because not everyone knows how to install ATi drivers into Linux or might have Linux knowledge to do it.

If you look in his guide, he did nVidia because he doesn't know how to do ATi. Here is the quote for this in his guide:

Quote:Please note:
- I only tested this with nvidia, so I have no experience with ATI

The ATi drivers take a little more to install, so I figured a guide would help.
I think this is great I will give it a try! But it's not complete, it lack the configuration with Hdmi sound output.
Shocked Rolleyes
Well, I thought you ask for the know-how, not the entire text word-by-word...
Especially those personal ones like "After my XBMC Live guide...".

@sensei73
I would rather don't say anything for your statement... Sad
could you guys possibly be tricked into wikifying these? Smile
spiff Wrote:could you guys possibly be tricked into wikifying these? Smile

Yes, My Lord! I am already on it... Cool
olympia Wrote:Yes, My Lord! I am already on it... Cool

Bence,

Great job on the wiki page. I forgot to copy the link. You should add them to your sig.

Dave
Thanks, man! I have one minor problem: When I restart the machine I have no Mouse/Keyboard active in XBMC. I have to "killall xbmc.bin" in another Terminal and then "startx", so Xorg and XBMC starts *with* the working Keyboard/Mouse... Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ok, solved. Have no idea why, but had to wait one second "sleep 1" before "startx -- -br" ...
Hmm, that was an interesting problem. I don't recall having a problem like that. I did have a input problem once, but I was messing around with the system and broke some things Sad and had to reinstall everything.
This link is no longer working: wget http://217.20.138.65/AlsaUpgrade-1.0.x-rev-1.15-Ben.sh
Can someone try this driver:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/...o-radeonhd

It's ATI's open-source hardware acceleration for h.264 driver. I'd like to move to XMBC/MythTV/Linux this weekend but want to make sure I can get h.264 hardware acceleration working, otherwise I'll be doing a XBMC/DVBDream/Vista install..

thanks.
Pages: 1 2