Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can´t boot XBMC Live 8.10 from USB-stick on Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi!

When trying to boot XBMC Live, I get "boot error" prompted by BIOS.
The usb stick is ok, booting from it on a dell laptop works fine.

I´ve just built a HTPC with a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard (latest BIOS revision). usb stick is a sandisk cruzer 4GB.

This is verified as a working XBMC Live configuration in thread: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42167

Have anyone trouble booting xbmc live from a usb stick on a Gigabite botherboard?

Please help me!

/Daniel
Hi,
I have the same motherboard and it boots fine from usb. Just go into bios settings (del on boot) then advanced bios features, hard drive boot proirity and put your usb stick next to number 1.

cheers.
harryzimm Wrote:Hi,
I have the same motherboard and it boots fine from usb. Just go into bios settings (del on boot) then advanced bios features, hard drive boot proirity and put your usb stick next to number 1.

cheers.

Thanks for your reply. I´ve set the usb-hdd as first boot device, is that what you mean?

If I enter advanced bios features, hard disk boot priority - "bootable add-in cards" is the only listed item. How can I add the usb stick here?
What BIOS veresion do you have? usb bios settings?

Confused

Br, Daniel
Yeah thats wierd.

When i have a usb drive connected (which is also a sandisk cruzer 4gb) it shows up in the bios in advanced bios features, hard disk boot proirity. It says usb-hdd0 : sandisk cruzer. Maybe try another flash drive? or install to hdd. Sorry i could't help.

cheers.

Edit: It might be worth trying a differant usb slot. Maybe one on the back of the board?
harryzimm Wrote:Yeah thats wierd.

When i have a usb drive connected (which is also a sandisk cruzer 4gb) it shows up in the bios in advanced bios features, hard disk boot proirity. It says usb-hdd0 : sandisk cruzer. Maybe try another flash drive? or install to hdd. Sorry i could't help.

cheers.

Edit: It might be worth trying a differant usb slot. Maybe one on the back of the board?

Yes, weird. I tried plugging in a usb hard drive and it is detected in BIOS, but my sandisk usb-stick isnt. I´ve tried all usb slots Smile

My sandisk is a cruzer micro. What sandisk model are you using, contour?

Br, Daniel
Also have the same MB and no problem with an Kingston Datatraveler Secure.

Bios recognize it by name under hard disk, also when I go under hard disk drive boot priority I can choose my stick.
same mobo, with a 4GB Patriot Xplorer, no probls
ok, for all of you that it works for...what BIOS version do you have?

Today I bought a new sandisk cruzer contour.

When I uninstall the U3 utility from the usb stick, bios can detect it

But when I´ve booted my my laptop with the 8.10 live cd and created installed xbmc to the usb stick, BIOS can´t detect

Am I installing xmc the wrong way?

I´ve also tried with a WG USB harddrive without U3 functionality, I get the same problem!

This sucks, can mu motherboard be broken?

/D
Do you have USB legacy options enabled?

Br, Daniel
dannybullit Wrote:ok, for all of you that it works for...what BIOS version do you have?

Today I bought a new sandisk cruzer contour.

When I uninstall the U3 utility from the usb stick, bios can detect it

But when I´ve booted my my laptop with the 8.10 live cd and created installed xbmc to the usb stick, BIOS can´t detect

Am I installing xmc the wrong way?

I´ve also tried with a WG USB harddrive without U3 functionality, I get the same problem!

This sucks, can mu motherboard be broken?

/D

you're probably not doing anything wrong. i have the same mobo and everything worked fine out of the box with the F6 bios. i updated the bios to the latest (F7) and it would no longer boot from usb. i had to go back to the F6 bios for it to work.

i tried every possible combination of F7 usb/boot settings and nothing worked.
Thanks!

I installed the F6 Bios, now it boots from USB stick Smile

I´ve connected the PC to my plasma with VGA and HDMI.
After I´ve chosen 1 for Nvidia, the picture turns black with a "_" in the upper left corner.

If I switch the plasma to HDMI, no picture at all.

What could be wrong?

Br, Daniel
dannybullit Wrote:Thanks!

I installed the F6 Bios, now it boots from USB stick Smile

I´ve connected the PC to my plasma with VGA and HDMI.
After I´ve chosen 1 for Nvidia, the picture turns black with a "_" in the upper left corner.

If I switch the plasma to HDMI, no picture at all.

What could be wrong?

Br, Daniel

I have the exact same problem but with a Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H motherboard. I suspect there is something fishy with the video drivers on the live CD. I get the same problem with both an integrated intel, and a ATI graphic card. Installing Ubuntu manually the video works fine.
miked2024 Wrote:you're probably not doing anything wrong. i have the same mobo and everything worked fine out of the box with the F6 bios. i updated the bios to the latest (F7) and it would no longer boot from usb. i had to go back to the F6 bios for it to work.

i tried every possible combination of F7 usb/boot settings and nothing worked.

It works with the F6 BIOS Smile

Thanks!
dannybullit Wrote:It works with the F6 BIOS Smile

Thanks!

How did you manage to get picture on HDMI from the motherboard?

I´ve tried a number of BIOS settings, after selecting 1. for Nvidia I only get a black screen and a "_" in the upper left corner.

xbmc wont launch with vga or hdmi

Br, Daniel
sesam Wrote:I have the exact same problem but with a Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H motherboard. I suspect there is something fishy with the video drivers on the live CD. I get the same problem with both an integrated intel, and a ATI graphic card. Installing Ubuntu manually the video works fine.

Hi,

I´ve created a new usb installation on my htpc (just installed a DVD-unit)
When booting from USB stick I´ve tried with the VGA or HDMI cable (not both at the same time)

I only get picture with the VGA cable. I tried to add Modes "800x600" to xorg.conf, problem remains

Description of problem:

1. Boot from usb stick
2. Select option 1 for Nvidia
3. loading...
4. "_" on black screen
5. xbmc logo
6. Loading please wait
7. Plasma looses signal (it looks like, screen flashes), black screen
8. ctrl alt f2 - can be used to login

Confused, what can I try?

are there different sections in xorg.conf for different outputs (vga/hdmi)?

hdmi output is overall dead

help is needed. I bought thos motherboard because other people gotit working fine with xbmc live: http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42167

Br, Daniel
Pages: 1 2