Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bricked Apple TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Im currently running an ATV 2.3 with the 2.3 launcher with Multifinder and XBMC 8.10 bf1.

Connecting the power on gives nothing but around 1-2 secs of orange LED before it starts to flash orange. I have tried disconnecting the power for 10 seconds and reconnecting, as well as the Menu & - Button technique to try to get a factory restore. I cant SSH into the box and there is no video on either HDMI or component. I have set XBMC to be the default boot application, not front row.

Is the prognosis as grim as I think it is? It may have come about due to a zap/spark that the plug gave off when I put it into the powerboard. What I am wondering is if there is a usb tool or something to try to unbrick this, or is there any other reason (eg a flat battery in the remote might stop the commands for a factory restore?). And if I have set it to boot XBMC at startup, are the commands still going to be recognised?
tissue Wrote:Hello,

Im currently running an ATV 2.3 with the 2.3 launcher with Multifinder and XBMC 8.10 bf1.

Connecting the power on gives nothing but around 1-2 secs of orange LED before it starts to flash orange. I have tried disconnecting the power for 10 seconds and reconnecting, as well as the Menu & - Button technique to try to get a factory restore. I cant SSH into the box and there is no video on either HDMI or component. I have set XBMC to be the default boot application, not front row.

Is the prognosis as grim as I think it is? It may have come about due to a zap/spark that the plug gave off when I put it into the powerboard. What I am wondering is if there is a usb tool or something to try to unbrick this, or is there any other reason (eg a flat battery in the remote might stop the commands for a factory restore?). And if I have set it to boot XBMC at startup, are the commands still going to be recognised?

"menu" + "-" needs to be held down right at power up and kept down until you see the apple icon.

if you can't get to factory restore boot, then will need to get a standard USB boot going. Easiest way is to make a patchstick with atvusb-creator and remove the patchstick.sh script. This is possible using atvusb-creator as the second volume will mount in OSX. Not possible with atv-win because Windows will not reconize the GPT disk format. If this is the case, make a Linux Live CD and boot that to remove the patchstick.sh script.

Once you get basic "penbuntu" boot, then you can examine the internal disk and see what the problem might be.
davilla Wrote:"menu" + "-" needs to be held down right at power up and kept down until you see the apple icon.

if you can't get to factory restore boot, then will need to get a standard USB boot going. Easiest way is to make a patchstick with atvusb-creator and remove the patchstick.sh script. This is possible using atvusb-creator as the second volume will mount in OSX. Not possible with atv-win because Windows will not reconize the GPT disk format. If this is the case, make a Linux Live CD and boot that to remove the patchstick.sh script.

Once you get basic "penbuntu" boot, then you can examine the internal disk and see what the problem might be.

Ive made a basic boot usb stick, but the ATV doesnt even seem to boot that far. Im 99% sure that the ATV is screwed (most likely a hardware issue).