Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC crashes if de-interlace enabled on some videos.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Problem:
XBMC stops responding when deinterlace enabled on certain AVI/MP4/MKV videos.

How To replicate:
- Assuming you have defaults "auto deinterlace", start a video and change interlace setting to "deinterlace".
- Either XBMC will "freeze" immediately, or it will continue playing (sometimes with garbled graphics)
- If XBMC did not freeze, stop the video and play it again, XBMC will not display any video and will stop responding/crashes.

The problem does not occur on all video files, all DVD's work fine, from what I have experienced I think the problem only occurs on AVI/MP4/MKV files
(codecs and resolutions used do not appear to make any difference)

If you want to try this out, here is a couple of fansubs I have verified the problem with:
"[DoReMii] Hotaru no Hikari 01 - Hardsubbed.avi" and "[Nyoro~n Subs] Rebuild of Evangelion 1.01 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE (DVD MP3 H264).mkv"

(just let me know if you need guidance on where to find them).

Debug log avaible here:
http://pastebin.com/mbb19488

My Theory:
I think XBMC crashes if deinterlace is enabled on progressive video files. Although I assume this is not supposed to happen, as that makes it impossible to cycle through the options.

Why is this a problem?:
Basically for most/all DVD's the "Auto deinterlace" option does not work, so I have to always manually select "deinterlace" for best results. So therefore it would be good if you could set it
as default for all video files without risking XBMC crashing on some of the video files.

========================================

XBMC Revision:
8.10 Atlantis, and also tried ikons unofficial build XBMCSetup-Rev17577.exe

CPU: Intel Coreā„¢ 2 Duo E7300 2,66GHz
RAM: 4GB
Video Card: ATI HD3450, ATI Catalyst 8.11
Sound Card: Realtek ALC889A codec (integrated), driver 6.0.1.5653

=======================================
I was going to open a thread for the exact same issue!
Confirmed with Rev17458 jester I have this problem - gonna go change it back to auto etc.

If you require any logs let me know.

Kind regards
Nick
ZTOctavian Wrote:I was going to open a thread for the exact same issue!
Confirmed with Rev17458 jester I have this problem - gonna go change it back to auto etc.

If you require any logs let me know.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one, I have been experimenting with different drivers (without any positive results) in case it was only on my system Big Grin
ok Ill add in some more details!

CPU: 3.0Ghz Duo core
Motherboard: Intel DG45FC
4Gb OCZ Ram

Basic router 10/100

Videos are running accross network perfect from WMP.
Videos playback from USB HDD fine in XBMC

Using install of 8.10 downloaded about 3 months ago.
Using Fixed IP
Using IcyBox NAS IB 4220
Using PM3.HD skin default XBMC setup from install even tried the Rev17458 patch.

I think there might be a problem with the way XBMC attaches to the network layer in Windows.Huh

I have a quad core 9550 here with ATI card and exact same thing.
When I can Ill try a network crossover lead to eliminate the router.

Nope just tried crossover and rebooted all the PC here still the exact same.

Video starts even when in auto.
fast FPS then slows back to normal for about 5 seconds then starts to judder audio starts to repeat like broken record and it can hang at this sometimes if I try to seek about when in this state.

Sesam can you post your setup aswell? Well see if anything work out here.

Regards,
Nick.
Update:
Tried to map NAS as a letter but it made no difference.
XBMC is in exceptions for firewall tried it off aswell.
Turned off IPV6 in Vista.
Set Vista for perfromance and not all the swishy graphics.
Tried Jumbo Packets and set them to highest in network card control.
Tried setting manual 10/100Mbps Full Duplex.
Tried many different settingsin xbmc's player for the deinterlaced on off auto etc.
Tried different cache sizes.
Tried different resolutions.
Tried Build 17117
Tried early installer 02/12/2009
Tried different skin resolutions.
Tried enabling disabling different http proxy stuff in XBMC just in case it was somehting leaking in from there.
Tried enabling Netbios of TCPIP as using fixed IP.
Nick
Same problem here!

Without deinterlace ive got some stribes in ISO-files and some .avi files. With deinterlace my HD .mkv files chrashes like sesam describes it!

System:

XBMC 9.04

CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 5600
RAM: 2 GB
Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EM
How big is the influence of the graphic card software to the XBMC?

After reading this quote I wonder if its the same problem and if it could really be solved with the GC-Software?

Galldrian Wrote:I normally run XBMC fullscreen on my second monitor a Samsung 40" LCD, connected via component, running 720p.

The vsync/tearing issue has been driving me nuts! I finally found the setting combination in ATI control panel and XBMC that gives me smooth playback.

PC settings (Catalyst 9.2):
- Set second monitor (HDTV) as primary monitor!
- Clone the HDTV (now the primary monitor) with PC monitor. Effectivly having the PC monitor as the secondary monitor. This does not matter for useability tho since they are cloned Smile
- Set Wait for VSYNC = Always ON

XBMC (latest Babylon build):
- Apperance - Screen - VSYNC = Let driver decide