Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Reinstall w/o losing data
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Messed up my lirc when changing from MCE remote to XBOX remote+modified dongle. Need to reinstall XBMC-live to HDD (again.....). Is there a way to do this w/o losing the data on the HDD ? (Tired of moving 300gb back and forth Smile ).

Thnx !
You may want to try the following:

Boot the system with XBMCLive CD (or USB disk) in safe mode (type "safe" at boot prompt)
log on as xbmc
mount the boot partition of the HDD
remove the file ext3fs.img on the boot partition of the HDD
recreate the file: dd if=/dev/zero of=ext3fs.img bs=1M count=<size> - where <size> is in MB
format the file: mkfs.ext3 ext3fs.img (answer y)

I have not tried it myself, so YMMV. Please confirm.
l.capriotti Wrote:You may want to try the following:

Boot the system with XBMCLive CD (or USB disk) in safe mode (type "safe" at boot prompt)
log on as xbmc
remove the file ext3fs.img on the boot partition of the HDD
recreate the file: dd if=/dev/zero of=ext3fs.img bs=1M count=<size> - where <size> is in MB
format the file: mkfs.ext3 ext3fs.img (answer y)

I have not tried it myself, so YMMV. Please confirm.

I can confirm this works !

Btw: can i do the same when I want to upgrade to a newer XBMClive version ?
piotr Wrote:I can confirm this works !

Btw: can i do the same when I want to upgrade to a newer XBMClive version ?

Just make a copy of your .xbmc folder.
You can use WinSCP to connect from Windows machine to your XBMC.
Works for me!
MartijnKooi Wrote:Just make a copy of your .xbmc folder.
You can use WinSCP to connect from Windows machine to your XBMC.
Works for me!

Not sure what you mean. Reinstalling XBMClive to HDD wipes your hdd. The method described above let's you reinstall xbmclive without wiping the disk.

@Luigi: no that I have things up and running again, what is the best way to upgrade to a newer build ? (last time upgrading to a newer SVN broke my install). Thanks.
boot from livecd as above, remove/recreate the ext3fs and copy the new files (*.img, vmlinuz) over the boot partition. Theoretically it's all you need but I have not tested it, YMMV
l.capriotti Wrote:boot from livecd as above, remove/recreate the ext3fs and copy the new files (*.img, vmlinuz) over the boot partition. Theoretically it's all you need but I have not tested it, YMMV

Ok, will try that. SVN upgrade is not advisable ? (or, install beta2 with method above and then upgrade to svn ?).
wait for next beta, then upgrade to svn
l.capriotti Wrote:wait for next beta, then upgrade to svn

What's the E.T.A ?
digging up this old topic: I understand this method won't work when upgrading from 9.04 to 9.11 ? So, what is the easiest way to upgrade the system (not just xbmc) to the latest version without wiping/repartitioning the HDD ? Thanks !
piotr Wrote:digging up this old topic: I understand this method won't work when upgrading from 9.04 to 9.11 ? So, what is the easiest way to upgrade the system (not just xbmc) to the latest version without wiping/repartitioning the HDD ? Thanks !

Hey. See if this works for you.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post467275
Hey Is it possible to get a detailed guide for a noobie. I have XBMC Live 10.0 installed to a HDD on my Asrock 330HT-BD, but some repo's have messed up making the plugin's non functional. I have movies and tv shows i'd like to keep on the HDD, so it would be great if I could making a fresh install (total clean XBMC) but without losing the movies and tv shows, like I also want to keep drives for remote, and SMB configuraiton. The HDD is not partioned right now, is it possible to do that too in the new install?

Kind Regards
Vinther
lcapriotti Wrote:You may want to try the following:

hot to mount?
and what <size> should be used?
after done it what will happen when rebooted from HDD? Will it start like new with all old files and settings, plugins, configuration?

Im having now some sound problems and do not want to make full install from scratch so Im very interested in this subject. Please help.