Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO get Live TV with VDR working in XBMC for Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Did someone tried on Jaunty?
Vdr with the xine-libout plugin stops immediatly, without errors.
Xbmc doesn't play anything.
I use jaunty with nvidia 185.18.04 driver and vdpau enabled on xinelibout and on xbmc.
Can any of you guys who have this working tell me how stable / well this is working for you ?

I'm seriously considering installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my TV-Server (currently windows!) and giving this a try, but with a girlfriend fed up of the TV not working I have a few questions first :p

1) Is a full EPG working with the ability to schedule / play back recordings?
2) Can I use the Windows build of XBMC to watch LiveTV, EPG etc.. when connected to the VDR via a network - or it is only Linux 'clients'?
3) Are HD Channels and Channel Combining supported ? (I have a Hauppage HD-S2 and Hauppage DVB-T some channels appear on both cards so it's nice to combine them like under MediaPortal)

Any advice would be great!
Swifty Wrote:1) Is a full EPG working with the ability to schedule / play back recordings?

Yes.

Quote:2) Can I use the Windows build of XBMC to watch LiveTV, EPG etc.. when connected to the VDR via a network - or it is only Linux 'clients'?

So far I know, no.

Quote:3) Are HD Channels and Channel Combining supported ? (I have a Hauppage HD-S2 and Hauppage DVB-T some channels appear on both cards so it's nice to combine them like under MediaPortal)

2 Questions in one. ;-)
HD is supported, but i have serious problems with vdpau, with software rendering is possible.
I know there is a patch for vdr called "Alternative Channel-Patch". The patch extends VDR to the possibility to give an alternative channel for a recording. But it seems the patch is only for an old version of vdr available. I have no experience with it.
Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply.. shame about not being able to use a Windows client to watch the streams as that will mean a bunch of extra work changing all my boxes to linux - still it'll be worth it so we don't have to keep switching between XBMC and Mediaportal to watch TV!

Would you mind taking a couple of screenshots of things like EPG, Setting a program to Record, Previous recordings etc..

I'd like to see how girlfriend friendly this is before starting out, and the screenshot links in the first post don't seem to be working.

Thanks again!
The screenshot links in the first post is working for me. Try again.
Thanks Sosi just tried again and they are loading now.. I just got 404's last night when I tried!

I have two more questions (last ones I promise!!) Smile

1) Does the EPG/TV part work under the MediaStream skin ?
2) Can recording be made directly from the EPG (ie. find a show, press record button on remote - see some sort of recording indicator on the EPG) As the screenshot looks like you manually set the times yourself..

Thanks for the advice!
1) No, but I'm working on it. Most of it is done, need to finish the dialogs. Will post to the MediaStream board once I have something usable.
2) I think so.

Generally if you're concerned about the WAF, I'd recommend to wait at least for a working PVR-branch. The patch solution is not going to be continued and alwin has now SVN access and is working on the universal solution with alcoheca. ATM it's still a lot of fiddeling with the patch, and there are less but not zero crashes while using it, which is a show-stopper for girlfriend usage in my experience. Wink
freezy Wrote:Generally if you're concerned about the WAF, I'd recommend to wait at least for a working PVR-branch. The patch solution is not going to be continued and alwin has now SVN access and is working on the universal solution with alcoheca.

Thanks freezy,
I was unaware that alwin had now joined forces with alcoheca on the unified PVR.
Is there any eta or target you know of for when the guys expect laymen to be able to have a play with the unified PVR ?
I'm still kind of tempted with VDR but hearing all effort will now be going towards the unified PVR branch makes me think twice about it..
Well, it's still fun to play with. Just if your GF depends on it, I'd have a backup system ready. Wink
As usual there is no ETA, but I think they're both quite motivated and there were lots of commits lately on that branch. And they get great support from spiff & co.
freezy Wrote:As usual there is no ETA, but I think they're both quite motivated and there were lots of commits lately on that branch. And they get great support from spiff & co.

Great, nice to hear it is still moving forward Smile

And thanks for the VDR guide BTW! I have just setup a VM to run through the process so I can decide if I want to be brave and try it on the real box Laugh
It's a pleasure Smile

If you're using a VM I think you'll only get to work USB receiver cards. And running XBMC on it will be a challenge too. If you install it from scratch and you'll notice something missing in the guide, let me know.
semerchet Wrote:Yes.

So far I know, no.

2 Questions in one. ;-)
HD is supported, but i have serious problems with vdpau, with software rendering is possible.
I know there is a patch for vdr called "Alternative Channel-Patch". The patch extends VDR to the possibility to give an alternative channel for a recording. But it seems the patch is only for an old version of vdr available. I have no experience with it.

On Intrepid vdpau works perfectly.
I got problems under jaunty.
By the way, I think that if someone want to have a pc only for multimedia purposes (vdr, xbmc, etc...), Hardy (8.04) could be the best choise: it's more stable.
dongioia Wrote:On Intrepid vdpau works perfectly.

Do you mean HDTV-channels from VDR are fine with VDPAU in INTREPID? I've no problems with HD-files.
dongioia Wrote:Hardy (8.04) could be the best choise: it's more stable.

I don't think so. I've no problems with stability in jaunty. The problem with the hdtv-channels is a xbmc-related problem, maybe not for a long time. There i a ticket for this. :-)
I want to use jaunty, because i use pulseaudio with bluetooth a2dp stereo headset.
Hello,

I still have the following problem when loading the patched streamdev plugin.

Code:
ERROR: /usr/lib/vdr/plugins/libvdr-streamdev-server.so.1.7.4: undefined symbol: _ZN10cIndexFile3GetEiPtPlPbPi

The plugin loads without problem when it is not patched.

Please help!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39