Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think this thread should be made sticky.
Beagleux Wrote:Finally i got it to work! =) and it works really good. Thx alot for you work!

I had some problem compiling this on xbmc live. A few times the /var/log/acpid file just started to grow until there where now space left on partition. So when it started to grow i stoped the compilation and removed the file (/var/log/acpid) , restarted computer, and continued the compilation. The restart I did couse even though I deleted the file. No space was freed. I guess the file handle was still there.

Any tips och info on how you got it to work on live? I am going to give it a try now and tips is always nice Smile

EDIT:

Error installing v.180.35 Nvidia driver, "Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel" And what now?
dbldown768 Wrote:what is the best way to upgrade the nvidia drivers from the earlier releases? Does anything need to be uninstalled? Or can we just download the new package from the link and install them on top of the previous VDPAU drivers?

does this overwrite my previous xorg.conf file? As i have custom modelines setup for the overscan in my tv.

This is probably a better way to update your nvidia driver
Code:
deb http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/
deb-src http://www.avenard.org/files/ubuntu-repos files/

Just add them into /etc/apt/sources.list and upgrade.

It will not overwrite your xorg.conf file.
BLKMGK Wrote:Have a look at -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856167037

I have two of these running single core ATOMs for kidster computers and IMO they are darned nice. IF they have enough power as dual cores, and with this branch it's possible, they are very small, very low powered, and cheap! Heck the ones I have run off a wall wart power supply! :lol:

Looks good, but I think the combo I posted back here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=287...tcount=141

Is currently the perfect combo for XBMC+VDPAU!

xnappo
xnappo Wrote:Looks good, but I think the combo I posted back here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=287...tcount=141

Is currently the perfect combo for XBMC+VDPAU!

xnappo

I think you're right that that is a better combo. I looked more closely at the one I posted and I do not think it has a PCI slot - booo!

s7mx1 - aren't those the repos for the next version of Ubuntu? I tried fiddling with adding other repos and ran into troubles. Installing the NVIDIA driver directly turned out to be msotly painless although it does seem to funk with the X.org file Sad
MrIcka Wrote:Error installing v.180.35 Nvidia driver, "Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel" And what now?

Do you have all the necessary dependencies? Try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install make gcc pkg-config xserver-xorg-dev build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
BLKMGK Wrote:I think you're right that that is a better combo. I looked more closely at the one I posted and I do not think it has a PCI slot - booo!

s7mx1 - aren't those the repos for the next version of Ubuntu? I tried fiddling with adding other repos and ran into troubles. Installing the NVIDIA driver directly turned out to be msotly painless although it does seem to funk with the X.org file Sad

They are for Ubuntu 8.10. These packages are really hassle free, and they don't ask stupid questions like nvidia's installation does. It will take care dkms nicely.
philter Wrote:Well I've given up, I'm thinking the board I got just can't handle the test vids I'm using even though vdpinfo says it's fully capable of even VC-1. I've tried Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, and vanilla Debian with prebuilt mplayer and with the latest svn (which added vdpau support) and xbmc from this thread as well. All combinations exhibit the exact same behavior ....slow and/or choppy playback and high CPU usage.

For anyone who may experience similar problems with similar hardware, this is how I resolved my problem:

Hardware: ECS GF8200A v1.0 - AMD AthlonX2 4850e - 4GB DDR2800

I updated to the latest bios, which also updated the video bios. I then reset the BIOS to default and changed to 512MB shared memory (was 512 before when having problems as well, just wanted to give all the memory I could to chip). I don't know if updating the BIOS solved the issue or resetting the defaults, but I think it was the BIOS update as I only changed a couple of non related settings prior to trying VDPAU.

Now I'm seeing about 40% CPU when playing 1080p (cores running at 1ghz instead of 2.5ghz).

The problems I was having were flashing/flicker when nvidia module loaded (all versions), and high cpu usage and choppy playback of all files when using vdpau. When the mouse would move over a UI element (task bar, window, etc) it would cause a flash/flicker of the screen. This problem was related because as soon as I changed the BIOS the flickering went away and then my mplayer test worked perfectly. About to test XBMC out now but feel confident it will work.
s7mx1 Wrote:They are for Ubuntu 8.10. These packages are really hassle free, and they don't ask stupid questions like nvidia's installation does. It will take care dkms nicely.

Sounds excellent then! I am waiting for motd2k to tell us to upgrade and then I'll be all over it. It's not clear to me just how backwards compatible the newer code is and I don't want to run into issues with the existing code if there's serious changes in the API. I'm pretty excited to see what comes next though, VC-1 decoding for instance ought to be pretty kewl although everything I transcode is H.264. <shrug> I've been quite thrilled to find that my settings allow for acceleration of the final output and look terrific! I need to try out some of the filters etc. though, just not had time YET. Zooom!
BLKMGK Wrote:Sounds excellent then! I am waiting for motd2k to tell us to upgrade and then I'll be all over it. It's not clear to me just how backwards compatible the newer code is and I don't want to run into issues with the existing code if there's serious changes in the API. I'm pretty excited to see what comes next though, VC-1 decoding for instance ought to be pretty kewl although everything I transcode is H.264. <shrug> I've been quite thrilled to find that my settings allow for acceleration of the final output and look terrific! I need to try out some of the filters etc. though, just not had time YET. Zooom!

I got black screen during playback with latest drivers and vdpau branch 2 days ago, reverted to linuxport and then video playback worked again. Not sure if it was related to the drivers though as selecting software renderer did not solve the problem.
motd2k Wrote:Please note that i'll very shortly be implementing changes which require NVIDIA driver version 180.35.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

motd

Please note that we KDE 4.2 (and, apparently, 3.5) users have a problem with 180.35 --> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128992

Not trying to slow you down or anything...just sayin'.
I can report that i have perfect VC-1 decoding with a 30Mbps m2ts content with 7% CPU usage. Big Grin

I did not change the driver (180.29) I just updated to last SVN yeterday.

My hardware is Nvidia 9400 Motherboard with 512 shared memory.

Really great job Motd2k !
fasteddy Wrote:Do you have all the necessary dependencies? Try this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install make gcc pkg-config xserver-xorg-dev build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

Got it working now, almost, I can't start any movies. I click play but noting happens, tryied 18118 and 18137?!?

And when I go to Settings-Video-Player, the VPDAU option is blank?!? All the other options, Software, High low quality shows
Is every one running 8.10 or 8.04 what do you recommend?
MrIcka Wrote:Is every one running 8.10 or 8.04 what do you recommend?

Doesn't matter. On 8.04 it' working fine. You just need at least 180.29 Nvidia driver.