Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
pcjason Wrote:I just wanted to chime in and thank you for your hard work, motd2k. Now my lowly Sempron 3200+ (1.8GHz) coupled with a Nvidia 8200 based motherboard has no problem playing HD content!

As a hint to others, I was having a strange issue where there were a lot of frames being dropped and odd colors on the screen (lots of pink or green "trails" behind moving objects). The issue ended up being the powernow daemon. I guess it wasn't scaling the CPU power up quickly enough and was causing issues with the decoding. I didn't have the time to play with the powernowd configuration, so I just removed it and everything seems fine now!

Thanks for the heads-up.

motd
pcjason Wrote:I just wanted to chime in and thank you for your hard work, motd2k. Now my lowly Sempron 3200+ (1.8GHz) coupled with a Nvidia 8200 based motherboard has no problem playing HD content!

As a hint to others, I was having a strange issue where there were a lot of frames being dropped and odd colors on the screen (lots of pink or green "trails" behind moving objects). The issue ended up being the powernow daemon. I guess it wasn't scaling the CPU power up quickly enough and was causing issues with the decoding. I didn't have the time to play with the powernowd configuration, so I just removed it and everything seems fine now!

OMG, that fixed all of my remaining video playback issues, even fullscreen Flash playback! Thanks for the hint!

-- Kevin
dzenc Wrote:Not true. I am using a 8400GS PCI, purchased from newegg. See here:

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p...tcount=298

Oh, excellent! I'm literally going to head out to my local mom&pop computer store tomorrow and order one of those.
sofakng Wrote:Does WMV work with this build? I've tried playing a VC1 WMV file and it crashes XBMC. Sad
motd2k Wrote:The commit log answers that question. WMV/VC1 is fine (on 32-bit systems, there's a small driver issue on x86_64), however FFmpeg - and therefore XBMC - does not support WMA-Pro. If the video is encoded with WMA-Pro audio then the likelyhood is that you're out of luck.

Hmmm, the XBMC online manual says that it's supported:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMC_Fea...decs#Notes
(Search for WMA Pro Audio Codec)

Is this incorrect?

Thanks for all of the help!
He said:

Quote:however FFmpeg does not support WMA-Pro.

...not XBMC.
I'm confused...

XBMC uses FFmpeg for all playback, right?

How can XBMC "support" WMA Pro but FFmpeg not?
WMA-Pro 'support' is provided by a non-trunk version of FFmpeg, part of their involvement in Google Summer of Code 2008. It's not complete, as you've noticed.

http://svn.ffmpeg.org/soc/wmapro/
Ahh, OK.

I think that it should be removed from the list of features until it's at least fairly stable then...

VDPAU seems quite stable and it's not even on the list of features.
This is getting really interesting

I would like to get this VDPAU branch working in an XBMC Live.
Can somebody tell me, of guide me to a link, as to how i get this bracnh into the xbmc live?

Thanks.
either you build it yourself and "inject" it into XBMC Live (some cautions required) or you wait until VDPAU is merged into the main branch...
l.capriotti Wrote:either you build it yourself and "inject" it into XBMC Live (some cautions required) or you wait until VDPAU is merged into the main branch...

And how do i go about and do that "injection"?
Elvito Wrote:This is getting really interesting

I would like to get this VDPAU branch working in an XBMC Live.
Can somebody tell me, of guide me to a link, as to how i get this bracnh into the xbmc live?

Thanks.

Follow the guide Olympia wrote in the XBMC Live section, the only difference you need to do is,
- install the latest nvidia driver
- checkout/build the vdpau branch
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse
make
make install

with vdpau , no need for the -j2 anymore
What does the --disable-pulse do...as far as functionality? I am going to hook my xbmc machine straight to my tv, do I need to disable it?
philter Wrote:What does the --disable-pulse do...as far as functionality? I am going to hook my xbmc machine straight to my tv, do I need to disable it?

This is a quote from Olympia's guide, so If your tv can't decode the audio, then you don't have to disable pulseaudio

Quote:Since you will use this PC only as a media center. I therefor assume that you use digital audio pass-through (S/PDIF or HDMI) to a receiver/amplifier with built-in Dolby Digital (AC3) decoder, and hence I choose NOT to install the dependency libraries for PulseAudio and compile XBMC later without PulseAudio support.
Hello,

I got a problem playing mkv and other movie-files.
They play for a few seconds and then XBMC crashes. Any ideas?

Please forgive me my bad english(I'm from Germany)

Best regars

Oliver