Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
xnappo Wrote:Do you have a free example of such a file? I have not run across anything that won't play right.

xnappo
Most VC-1's had issues for me. (i only had 2 at the time). I cant recall specific movies to sample, and I cant be bothered to switch back to my 8300 to try.

Mostly any actual 1920x1080 (x264) movie would give me trouble. Movies that were 1080p and 16:9, the other aspect ratios (and hence lower resolution) worked fine for the most part, but i recall noticing higher bitrates on the same movies with the 9400.

As I recall from the previous XBMC fullscreen thread, you seemed to have better luck with your setup/workarounds than I did.
nipnup Wrote:How are the chances for 8200 going forward? Should I simply get a cheap PCI-E Nvidia card to get it running properly or is a fix possible and likely to be implemented?

That's up to nVidia to add that to be supported.
I've been also having problems with xbmc crashing to the desktop when trying to play h264 vids with vdpau set as the render method. It happens randomly (sometimes at the 1st try, sometimes at the 3rd try... haven't needed four tries yet to reproduce the crashing to the desktop) and just with vdpau enabled, with software render method enabled i haven't had a single crash, at least for now.

The errors also seem to be "random", at least, i've got 3 different errors when crashing to desktop:
a) xbmc.bin: ../../src/xcb_io.c:445: _XReply: Assertion `!dpy->xcb->reply_data' failed.

b) xbmc.bin: ../../src/xcb_io.c:176: process_responses: Assertion `!(req && current_request && !(((long) (req->sequence) - (long) (current_request)) <= 0))' failed.

c) XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after XYZ requests (ABC known processed) with KY events remaining.
(different XYZ, ABC and KY values)

I'm now using svn -r19930. Jaunty, 2GB RAM, 256MB 8500GT, and a quad core @2.40Ghz.

Yesterday I started digging a little bit more into this issue and found that the culprit, at least of my crashes, seems to be the commit #19833 ... if I change both lines back to "if(dwMilliseconds > 10)" then i dont get a crash to the desktop (at least in 40 tries that I've done so far)

Hope this info helps,

Let me know if you need me to provide with further info/logs
let me try to revert back Thread.cpp like you did. I'll post if that fixed it for me, too.

Edit: I can confirm what Maksi found out above. Reverting back Thread.cpp to rev 19632 fixes the VDPAU -> Crash to desktop Problems for me as well. I just tried playing some of my 1080p content like 20 times. No crash in sight. Before I had crashes to desktop like every second try.

boba
maksimenko, boba23:
That seem really really weird.. So with latest svn, if you modify that file and remove the checks for GetCurrentThreadId() ==... You don't get the issue? I really

Could somebody get me a backtrace of when the crash happens?
eluplus,

yep, I up to current svn, just did the changes to those two lines in Thread.cpp. What checks are u talking about? Sorry I am not that deep into programming.
Anyway, all I did was mod the file, make clean, make, make install. That's it and my crashes seem gone. I could test it even 100x if you wish ;-)

boba
Please get a backtrace when it crashes. That is probably the most important thing in order for elupus to really take a good look at it Smile

Details on how to get a backtrace are in this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655
elupus:

Yes, lastest svn, just replaced those 2 lines back to "if(dwMilliseconds > 10)" and well, at least until now, i haven' got any other crash to desktop... but i can't confirm if it worked for boba23 too...

I'll svn revert my changes to the Thread.cpp, get a backtrace and pastebin for you... gimme a few mins...
ohh, i didn't notice that boba23 had already replied... so... i guess it worked for him too...

and yes, it really seems weird... heheh

i'll post in a few mins the backtrace...
elupus Wrote:maksimenko, boba23:
That seem really really weird.. So with latest svn, if you modify that file and remove the checks for GetCurrentThreadId() ==... You don't get the issue? I really

Could somebody get me a backtrace of when the crash happens?

elupus:

Here are the backtraces from some errors that i get when trying to play some h264 vids with vdpau enabled (with vanilla svn -r19933)

1) error #1: xbmc.bin: ../../src/xcb_io.c:176: process_responses: Assertion `!(req && current_request && !(((long) (req->sequence) - (long) (current_request)) <= 0))' failed.
http://pastebin.com/m2f277b30
here is another backtrace for the same error type but with more information (thread apply all bt)
http://pastebin.com/mc3086e3

2) error #2: *** glibc detected *** /usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0xb4bc8c40 ***
http://pastebin.com/m374248bf

Hope it helps...

I'll try to get a backtrace for the other errors that i get with the 'GetCurrentThreadId() == ... ' check on place...

Let me know if there is anything else that could help you finding the bug
nice, think i spotted the ugglyness
please svn up to r19937 and see if the problem persists. (or if i introduced a deadlock instead)
Hey bro,

will test tonight. I am at work right now. Thanks for your efforts.

boba
First off, Thanks so much for VDPAU support. I am running the latest XBMC Live installed to HD and aside from some random crashes, works great! Can't wait for the final release hopefully with full subtitle support.

Can someone please explain the situation with scaling and VDPAU? I have searched this entire thread and not come up with any clear answer.

Q: With VDPAU enabled, what scaler is being used for VDPAU decoded video (e.g. h.264) and non-VDPAU decoded content (e.g. XviD or DVD MPEG2)?

The settings I used to use (Lancsoz) are not working unless I turn the renderer back to "auto".

Thanks!
freddyflinty Wrote:First off, Thanks so much for VDPAU support. I am running the latest XBMC Live installed to HD and aside from some random crashes, works great! Can't wait for the final release hopefully with full subtitle support.

Can someone please explain the situation with scaling and VDPAU? I have searched this entire thread and not come up with any clear answer.

Q: With VDPAU enabled, what scaler is being used for VDPAU decoded video (e.g. h.264) and non-VDPAU decoded content (e.g. XviD or DVD MPEG2)?

The settings I used to use (Lancsoz) are not working unless I turn the renderer back to "auto".

Thanks!

Well, I don't know what TV/Projector you are outputting your material to, but since VDPAU is only used with HD content, 720p and up. I don't want any scaling to take place on XBMC side. I got a 1080p Panasonic display, and hence I output 1080p on a 1080p unscaled or 720p that is scaled by the Panasonic scaler which does an excellent job.

boba