Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First it Fails To Initialize... Then It Works
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Weird... If I try and play a video file - any video - I get an audio error (fail to initialize) but if I stop it and then play again, audio (usually, but not always) works. Background:

I updated some packages, and broke both my sound and video drivers. Fixed video, but have been struggling with audio ever since. It didn't take long to get audio over hdmi through xbmc again, but for some reason navigation sounds were coming out through the analog jack, which killed my ampache local music server. I fixed that by changing my default.pa file, but I lost navigation altogether. That didn't really bother me, but then FretsOnFire wouldn't start and gave me a pygame.mixer error. So I messed around some more with pulseaudio, and eventually got it working. However, the sound was terrible, like it was being clipped or overdriven. So I uninstalled pulseaudio altogether, but that made things worse. So I reinstalled it. Suddenly, I have navigation sounds, FretsOnFire sounds like it should, and my music server still works. But, as I mentioned above, xbmc won't play audio the first time I select a video. It will usually start if I stop and then restart, but sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries. And it won't play mp3s at all. Just fails to initialize the audio device.

Any ideas?
Hmm.... interesting. I changed the default format in my .asoundrc file from S32_LE to s16le, and now i've once again lost navigation sounds, but I no longer get errors when starting a video. There must be format inconsistencies across the various sound modules/configurations.