Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Error compiling xbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. svn revision: 18094
2. Linux Distribution: gentoo 2007.1
3. Architecture: x86_64
4. Install Method: manual
5. SVN Revision: 18094
6. Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem:
a) ./configure
b) make
7. FULL Debug Log: n/a
8. Backtrace n/a
9. Compiler Output: http://pastebin.com/f1409727c

I get an error when compiling the rsxs screensaver.
More specifically:
Code:
In function `hol_entry_first_short':
argp-help.c:(.text+0x994): undefined reference to `until_short'

The compiler output I linked to is just the rsxs output.

Would any other information be helpful?
Thanks.
Just another note: I downloaded the rsxs-0.9 source and was able to compile that by iteself.
Hi, I did read over that page before I posted.
If you can't help me, that's fine just say so, but I'm not sure what you mean when you just post that link.
I guess some more information: my kernel is 2.6.19 and gcc version 4.1.1.
Thanks.
Wild guess, he meant one specific part of that howto:

Quote:First things first, wait 24hrs. Just as the police don't care if your kids are missing, we don't care if you can't compile! XBMC is in a constant state of flux and it is VERY likely that any compile errors will be resolved in a much shorter time than this.

Quote:Changeset 18094
Timestamp: 02/25/2009 10:02:03 AM
Ohh, I see.
Well.. I did wait 24 hours and actually I tried building on a few builds for a few days before that too before I thought to ask the question in here.
Hmm sorry can't help you in that case. I've compiled xbmc on ubuntu x64 from svn last week and it worked fine then. I guess dropping your gentoo compile drone and switching to ubuntu x64 is not an option? Wink
Maybe try clean compile.. (svn up && make clean && make). I've seen on numerous occasions that the 'dirty' compile doesn't pickup some dependencies and I'm getting the errors. Removing generated binaries through 'make clean' solved it most of the time for me (except for those rare cases when the SVN was really broken). As a last resort you might want to wipe clean the whole folder and checkout a fresh copy of the code from scratch....

So far SVN build 18153 (as well as a couple of previous snapshots I pulled yesterday and the day before that) compiles OK on my box (Ubuntu 8.04.2, AMD)

Vlad
dushmaniac Wrote:Hmm sorry can't help you in that case. I've compiled xbmc on ubuntu x64 from svn last week and it worked fine then. I guess dropping your gentoo compile drone and switching to ubuntu x64 is not an option? Wink

Nah I can't drop gentoo, i've got mythtv all set up on there along with a bunch of other stuff. Sad
what volenin said, clean your source tree before compiling after an "svn up".
to be sure your tree is clean, use "make distclean && ./configure && make" (instead of make clean)
dushmaniac Wrote:what volenin said, clean your source tree before compiling after an "svn up".
to be sure your tree is clean, use "make distclean && ./configure && make" (instead of make clean)

I've tried this and it still errors in the same part.
Maybe there is a problem with my version of gcc or my kernel or something?
no problems with gentoo on latest svn here.

if you're having troubles with a compile, always "make reallyclean" and revert whatever it tells you to revert before you post.

TheUni
I'm going to try upgrading gcc now to see if that does anything.
theuni, are you running a 64 bit machine?
yes, 64bit here.

Did you make reallyclean? notice reallyclean. ALWAYS do that before you try anything crazy.

TheUni
Hey I upgraded gcc to 4.1.2 and it compiled!
Now I just gotta see if it'll actually run, but that'll be something else.
Thanks for the responses fellas!
Pages: 1 2