Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Library-mode search by Genre/Actor/Year, etc.?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running latest official OSX version of XBMC on 160G AppleTV with ATV 2.3 software. Mediastream is at 1.00 svnR1470. Currently I am only working on my movie collection, which is hosted from a WinXP SP2 box with 3.5T of disk and accessed with the SMB code in XBMC. After several restarts from scratch, I have finally figured out how to setup scraping, and am prescraping with Mediainfo Plus to setup .nfo, .tbn and .fanart files on the PC. So far I have managed to create .nfo, etc. for about 160 of the movies, which I can list and play in My Movies (library?) view. At one point, I was also able to right click on the blade when My Movies was selected and search by Genre/Actor/Studio/Year etc. Now however although I can get to that list of choices, selecting one of them only results in the blade going away and being replaced partially by a black box that is about 1/4 the width of the screen, starting 1/4 of the way from the left and descending about 1/3 of the way from the top. If I press the Menu button on the ATV remote, I get a brief flash on the area under the box that has a column of (N/A)'s under it but it is covered up very quickly by the blade. I would also see a box like this when I would select My Movies before I figured out how to set content in the context menu. I am definitely getting a complete listing of the library, with the list of movies on the right, the fanart taking up the background, the poster on the left and the plot info in the middle of the screen.

What am I missing? What files can I check. What should I look for in the log to gain an understanding of what is wrong.

Thank you.
Try pressing right whilst on the black screen you've got to from the genre item. It may be that you're in a view mode that doesn't work well in the mediastream skin.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Yep, sounds like an incompatible view, try choosing another from the Options Menu
Searching on viewmode.db in all forums ultimately pointed back at a manual page that explained about setting "Flatten" in the Library mode options. However, MStream lists "Flatten" in 2 different menus. I tried setting the one in the context menu which has several values, but overlooked the one on the 'right-click' menu. Turning that off allowed the listing of movies by genre, etc. when I right-click on "Watch your Movies" then select Genre or whatever and press 'play-pause' it lists the possible Genre/Actor/Director/etc.. Select the Genre that you want, for example, and press 'play-pause' and you are given a list of movies of the chosen Genre.

Not to complain, but there are so many options, and each skin presents them slightly differently, and the ATV remote is so limited that it gets a bit confusing, even for someone like me with 25 years of UNIX, C and SQL experience.

Thanks to the authors/maintainer/contributors for a great project.

Stew Ellis