Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Massive NFO Stash?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've read hundreds of posts where people are talking about using various software to scrape/build nfo files for their movie and tv collections, but I've not found any threads/posts yet that talk about a repository or place where nfo files could be stored/shared to make things easier for everyone.

It doesn't make sense to me why hundreds of people should be generating new nfo files for stuff that's already been done when we could have one place where all generated nfo files are saved and shared.

If we all wanted to have a copy of a an album, we wouldn't all individually go to the pawn shop or the store and buy/rent a copy of it and then bring it home and rip it. We'd go online and download a rip that someone else already did. Same concept here.

I know that the creator of the Aeon skin has a very small stash of shared nfo files, but like I said, it's very limited/small.

Does something like this exist somewhere already, because if it doesn't, it should.
Unless I'm wrong, but the NFO tells xbmc where the media files are stored. I wouldn't want an NFO that says my media is stored at D:\Movies when actually on my NAS they are stored at R:\Videos\Movies\
My NFOs don't not contain file locations
I'm not seeing the advantage here. All we're basically doing is taking the "massive stashes of nfos" in "TMDB, IMDB, etc format" and converting them to "XBMC format". The conversion time is negligible in comparison to the time it takes to download the files.
I'm obviously missing something here then... I have a lot of tv series in xbmc and everything is pulling down fine from thetvdb.com, but I recently started trying to add movies and a lot of them aren't being detected by TMDB, but the ones that I noticed ARE being seen and pulling down information for are the ones that already have an nfo file in the movie folder (and this isn't even an nfo file I made, it's just the nfo file that came with the movie when I downloaded it).

So unless there is something simple I'm missing on movie scrapes, not to mention all the threads I see where people are talking about storing local nfo files, it seems to me that this would be a good idea. And as JackieBrown said, my nfo files don't contain file locations either, so that's no concern for me.

althekiller Wrote:I'm not seeing the advantage here. All we're basically doing is taking the "massive stashes of nfos" in "TMDB, IMDB, etc format" and converting them to "XBMC format". The conversion time is negligible in comparison to the time it takes to download the files.
An external scraper does scrape .nfo , .tbn , folder.jpg and fanart.jpg and put it into your movie location. The .nfo file that came with the movie download throw that one away.
The nfo files you mention are probably only containing imdb urls (and thus helping tmdb with what exact movie it is).
Guess what, there already is a massive stash of those out there...... it's called imdb.
TMDB is new, they don't quite have the db size of IMDB yet. Also, there search results are a bit crap, ATM. JM has added some code in newer versions of XBMC to try to improve the hit rate of multi-hit returns, but that obviously can't help when TMDB's search returns us nothing. This affects ~12.5% of my current library, though mostly docus and indies. The good news is that TMDB is actively improving their API and adding new movies. You can help out by adding info from movies missing from your collection.
Which do you recommend Waffa? MoviePlus or Media Companion?

Waffa Wrote:An external scraper does scrape .nfo , .tbn , folder.jpg and fanart.jpg and put it into your movie location. The .nfo file that came with the movie download throw that one away.

althekiller: Thanks for the info Smile. I am definitely down with adding any info to TMDB if it's not there; I've been doing the same thing at TTVDB.

Thanks again for the replies everyone Wink
With regards to what was asked above I've tried both and I use MIP, but thats just my personal opinion. They both get it done, but look a little different getting it done.
Shuey Wrote:Which do you recommend Waffa? MoviePlus or Media Companion?
See this post/thread
Shuey Wrote:Which do you recommend Waffa? MoviePlus or Media Companion?

I recommend mymovies.dk if you have a Windows server for your movies. Have it done automaticly for you is so nice
That's a bad idea because we can just scrape from a database. Thank before you post
Firesign3394 Wrote:That's a bad idea because we can just scrape from a database. Thank before you post
You responded to a dead thread (by months) to tell people to think before they post.

You must feel stupid.