Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to use the library using .nfo & images w/o scrapers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm setting up a new library containing a lot of kids movies and tv-series in swedish. Most of them doesn't have an entry in any of the scrapers. The tv-shows doesn't even have any episode numbers (I'll guess I'll have to make them up).

I would therefore create .nfo files for all movies and tv-series, without using any scraper at all.

I have four questions about setting up a library like this:

1) Do I need to set a scraper when creating this source, or could it be left blank and still work as a library?

2) Should the .nfo file have any information about what images to use (dvd covers, fanart etc) or will it be sufficient to use "folder.jpg" images, just like when in fileview?

3) Is it possible to hide the "file view" options? If possible I would like my kids (and my wife!) not to know that there is a file view option. It should be as simple as possible.

4) I've looked thru the different programs to create .nfo files. But they all seems to be fetching data from different places (imdb, etc). I need a really simple .nfo-program that only creates .nfo files without any scanning/scraping. Is there such a program?

I've read thru the Wiki about .nfo-files and thumbnails but could not find answers to these questions. But I might have missed something. If so, please point me in the right direction.
1) You always need to set content. Pure xml nfo would mean that the internet is never accessed , so any scraper will do I guess.
2) no image info is required for local images.
3) probably only via skin editing. (you could create a copy of the skin, which is only used for that profile).
4) Yes, it's called a text editor, once the first is made, the rest is just copy paste anyways.
I think it would be pretty cool to Add TV Shows/Movies to the library without scrape info and then have XBMC export empty NFO files. No copy nor paste.
Hello,

There is something that I still don't understand with xbmc.

How to manually add details for a video in the library.

I have some personnal videos that i would like to add to my Library as if they were films, with a title, a description, fanart, ...
I Have also some personnal videos that i would like to add to my library as if they were TV Shows.

How can it simply be done ?

Thank you for your help
It can be done, however, not in a simple fashion. In order for XBMC to add the shows into the library it requires information first. It doesn't work in the way that you might think, where you would be able to add something to the library and then edit the entry.

The information first has to be created for XBMC to use to add it to the library and the way to do that is through NFO files. Info on creating them is located in the Online Manual on XBMC.org.

There are a couple of applications which might enable you to do this and not have to edit things by hand but i'm not entirely sure. Media Companion is one, and another Movie Info Plus.

Hope my explanation helps, for specifics the Online Manual should cover just about everything.
Thank you very much for your help. I Have read the infos about nfo, but i haven't understood that the info they would contain would be loaded into the library. I though it was something that sits near the library, and that xbmc would display info of nfo files if they wer present or library if not.

I will try to do some tests, I think it will be the best way for me to fully understand how it works.
nfo files containing xml information act as local information for scrapers.
Then you don't have go to the internet for the info and can include information that does not exist on the internet (such has your home movies).
For more info:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp...rt_Library

And on scraping in general:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=233507&postcount=1
Maxim Wrote:I think it would be pretty cool to Add TV Shows/Movies to the library without scrape info and then have XBMC export empty NFO files. No copy nor paste.

Huh
I have some trouble using .nfo files created manually. I've set up a source with a scraper and have scanned for new tv-shows. Nothing is found. No tv-show, no season image.

This is my setup:

Code:
TV (folder, used as the source)
- Molly (folder)
- season01.tbn
-- Molly.farger.och.siffror (folder)
-- E01.Molly.buss.avi
-- E01.Molly.buss.nfo
-- tvshow.nfo
E01.Molly.buss.nfo contains
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <episodedetails>
        <title>Buss</title>
        <season>1</season>
        <episode>1</episode>
</episodedetails>
tvshow.nfo contains:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<tvshow>
    <title>Molly Mus</title>
    <episode>0</episode>
    <plot>En av de största bok- och TV-idolerna för de minsta barnen!</plot>
</tvshow>
Am I doing something wrong here?
Unless you have some special regexps in place, season is mandatory.
So put all your eps in season one, zero or whatever (via the filename).

-- S01E01.Molly.buss.avi
-- S01E01.Molly.buss.nfo

Should do the trick
Thanks. I renamed the files so that they start with "S01". After rescanning the episodes are now visible. But the season name becomes "The days and nights of molly dodd". I guess that info is fetched using one of the scrapers.

Is my tvshow.nfo correct and in the correct folder?

Edit: The season-image is still not visible.
My fault! There was a problem with the encoding. Now everything shows as expected.

But I'm still not able to see the season-image. It's a normal .jpg image that I've renamed to season01.tbn
The file probably should be in the TV show root folder (Molly).
If the season thumb is not picked up, you can always add it via the context menu.

Also the
<episode>0</episode>
tags are probably redundant (I have no idea what they do).

I just went through a similar exercise for my kids and it worked like a charm.
sho Wrote:The file probably should be in the TV show root folder (Molly).
If the season thumb is not picked up, you can always add it via the context menu.

Also the
<episode>0</episode>
tags are probably redundant (I have no idea what they do).

I just went through a similar exercise for my kids and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help. I already have the "season01.tbn" in the "Molly" folder. I'd prefer not to add them manually. There are lots of seasons... If anyone else have a clue, please let me know.

Also, what are these for?
<season>-1</season>
<displayseason>-1</displayseason>
<displayepisode>-1</displayepisode>
spiff will have to answer these, he probably coded all of this.
Pages: 1 2 3