Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Images for chapter selection...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently there was a post of a skin mock up by Phyek and he had some great mock screens going on. One of them consisted of showing images for chapter selection above the scroll bar.

Is the currently a possibility for skinning. If so, could some point me in the right direction on how to get started for it. I would love to add this feature. I played around with a lot of skins, but haven't seen any of them featuring this.

Sadly almost none of that is currently possible as far as I know

While XBMC can seek forward/backward by chapters whilst playing a movie the skinning engine isn't actually aware of chapters at all. This is quite a shame since it'd be really cool to be able to build chapter menu's into the main GUI, aswell as doing cool stuff like the above.

Perhaps the simplest way to do this would be to have XBMC automagically create chapters from any bookmarks it can find, since bookmarks are already available via the skinning engine. On a similar note I don't think XBMC currently reads chapter names if available, this would be a neat addition also.

To do the above screenshot you'd also need a whole new kind of control to draw the chapter markers at the correct relative intervals like that.

In other words, don't hold your breath, but then again who knows, maybe jm will fall in love with the idea, such is XBMC Big Grin
My only current wish for XBMC is to have a way to list out chapter titles and select them. I've ripped all of my DVDs as MKVs with proper chapter titles and everything... just waiting for the day that I'll be able to use a progress bar / chapter selection like the above.
Big skip forward/back already goes chapter by chapter through the film (and tells you what chapter you are in).

Not as pretty, for sure, but it does the job.
Unless you want XBMC to go through all your MKVs and dump chapter thumbs (initiated manually/automatic? Background/on playback?) you would have to do it manually yourself.
Either way, a lot of trouble for either a dev or yourself.
sho Wrote:Unless you want XBMC to go through all your MKVs and dump chapter thumbs (initiated manually/automatic? Background/on playback?) you would have to do it manually yourself.
Either way, a lot of trouble for either a dev or yourself.

That would be really nice actually, is it worth opening a trac ticket requesting this do you think?
i don't think it would have to do all that ahead of time.

when you press the bookmark button it generates the image pretty quickly, so couldn't it do that as you skip forward?

you wouldn't have a dvd style chapter selection dialog. is that what is beeing requested?
That's what I'd like ideally yeah, but I'd imagine it's a lot of work for not much gain.
Freddo Wrote:That would be really nice actually, is it worth opening a trac ticket requesting this do you think?
I am not a dev, but judging from experience I'd say the chances are slim.
Personally, I like the idea of chapter thumbs with visual cues on the seek bar. No idea if it will be implemented but I'd recommend at least trac-ing it so it's not forgotten.
What about adding this functionality with bookmarks.... bookmarks are already saved in xbmc and it maight be pretty easy to add them to that somehow...

Smile Thanks,
SoBBie
I realize this thread is over 4 and a half years old, but I was curious if any progress has been made on this? Or if it really was just forgotten.

I'm mostly interested in having markers on the progress bar for chapters.