Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help design new setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am hoping to get some advice on designing a new setup. I currently have a cable company provided DVR. I don't watch cable stations, so I am going to cancel cable and use over the air. I am thinking about the following setup. Can you look it over and tell me your thoughts?

First, I am going to setup either a Microstoft Media center server or a MythBuntu server. The server will have a WinTV-HVR-2250 card installed. The main purpose for this box is to record and store taped programs. I may also use it to hold mp3's.
* QUESTION - Which media center server is a better choice in your opinion? Is there a better option?

My main TV will use an xbox 360 to stream video from the media center server. This TV will have a digital converter box because it does not have an HD tuner.
* QUESTION - What features will I lose by using an Xbox 360 with a MythBuntu server instead of a MS Media Center server?
* QUESTION - Xbox 360 vs Xbox XBMC - which is better on this setup?

My bedroom TV will have an Xbox running XBMC. It also needs a converter box, but I don't have a second one.
* QUESTION - With the above setup, are there any other ways for me to view over the air HD besides buying a converter box?

If there are better ways to do this, please tell me. Thanks in advance!
First - this depends on your OS experience as MythBuntu is linux and WMC is windows so if you can support linux I would say MythBuntu otherwise stick with windows.

I haven't used a 360 but I think it integrates with WMC better than a upnp stream with MythBuntu.
360 vs Kodi is a strange comparison - 360 plays games and streams video while Kodi is an entire media center and can integrate games but is not its primary function.

I would not suggest to use xbmc4xbox as it is very limited by the hardware, get a Pi or some other cheap device for your bedroom.

You can get an HDHomeRun or other device to hook up to the OTA and stream that across your house as needed, you can get a multiple tuner system so more than 1 TV can stream different content at the same time. Your WMC or MythBuntu can also use this as a tuner card instead of the WinTV-HVR-2250.