Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Too dumb for last.fm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys!

I'm posting in [LINUX] because i run linux, but i think this is a common problem.

I think i'm too dumb for the last.fm interface. Seriously. How do you guys use last.fm? What steps are necessary to store some similar artists station as source, or at least get that damn 'enter similar artist' dialog again after a selection has been made. i have to restart xbmc everytime i want to switch artists/tags/whatever.

is there any really convenient way to use last.fm? can i enter xbmc:// -urls directly as source and they will work?

I'm stuck with this...
Go to Music Settings and enter your Last.fm credentials. After that you are allowed to add Last.fm sources via the "Add Source" browse dialog.
Sure, that's perfectly clear. My question goes beyond. I CAN add last.fm sources, but it goes like this:
1) Music -> Add source
2) Last.fm -> Search similar artists.
3) Enter an artist and hit enter

Now problem no 1) I get lots of results, but the band i chose is not always there - only similar artists. Selecting one of them just brings me deeper in the virtual directory. However - if 'Listen to <artist> similar artists on last.fm' is there (the last entry in the list), it works until i decide to select another artist. in that case i am not represented the 'enter artist' dialog but simply get the same list as before. restarting xbmc fixes that but so you're unable to add a source say for a special artist as everytime you restart xbmc you have to enter it.

I'll make an example:

I want to add 'Pink Floyd' similar artist stream. I select Pink floyd in the dialog, play my radio (if i get the link). Now i want to listen to 'Metallica' similar artists. I have to get through the whole add source / Select artist dialog again to get the stream, because selecting the 'Pink floyd' source i added before simply brings me the same results for pink floyd as before. BUT if i restart xbms both 'similar artist' sources simply bring me the artist dialog - as if they've forgotten what artist i entered before.

To summarize: either i don't get it or the whole last.fm interface is crappy.
OK, by hand in sources.xml it works - thank god the lastfm:// protocol is not the same mistery as the interface :-)
And for the protocol:

Selecting artists via 'Browse' ing GUI does not work - i had to type in the lastfm://xbmc/artist/<artist>/ URL by hand but then it persists over restarts and does what it should :-)
Can you not add the root lastfm:// protocol (or lastfm://xbmc/artist/foo) from the UI?

It's probably something reasonably simple to fix, assuming I understand the problem, so please explain it to me in detail, ideally with a trac ticket of the exact procedure to reproduce this problem.

Thank you,
Jonathan
I tried once to play similar artists via the XBMC interface and must admit I was so thoroughly confused that I gave up.
I think the problem is that when you search, you're search for "similar artists" NOT "the artist". So of course the results won't have what you searched. I always just go into the highest ranked similar artist, view their similar artists and get the band I was looking for (to get at the radio).
Guys, i will open a trac ticket for this, since i'm obviously not the only idiot *SCNR*. I try to explain as good as i can, but forgive me and my borked english :-)

al: strangely enough i do get the wanted artist in the artist list sometimes. perhaps if you misspell it...

jmarshall: yes you can - by typing it by hand via the onscreen keyboard, or (forgive me al) editing sources.xml by hand. via 'browse' this is not possible as each time you enter an artist, it goes deeper and sometimes you even don't get the artist you want in that list. The URL should read lastfm://xbmc/artist/<artist> for the station to function properly. with that source in my list i can listen to similar artists, fanradio, etc...
Haggy Wrote:Guys, i will open a trac ticket for this, since i'm obviously not the only idiot *SCNR*. I try to explain as good as i can, but forgive me and my borked english :-)
N, you arent definitely not the only one. I tried it aswell and gave up on it. Could not manage to play a single song via XBMC Wink
Have a look at #6127, thanks.
Is there any way to "love" a song with xbmc on last.fm? I am pretty new to last.fm but I thought thats kind of how it figured out what you liked.

EDIT

never mind I found the answer with a bit more searching. seems that aeon is missing the feature. Other skins seem to be fine.
You can map the actions to a key on your remote too. I use "1" and "2" for love and ban respectively in the fullscreen viz window.