Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Possible to stream or broadcast audio across network?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would it be possible to tap into the audio stream of what you're currently watching from another computer?

I'd like to be watching something and be able to mute my tv but listen to the audio with headphones off of my laptop. I suppose some wireless headphones could be a better solution, but I don't think I could hook those up easily to the tv.

Anyone else done something similar to this?
Glave Wrote:Would it be possible to tap into the audio stream of what you're currently watching from another computer?

I'd like to be watching something and be able to mute my tv but listen to the audio with headphones off of my laptop. I suppose some wireless headphones could be a better solution, but I don't think I could hook those up easily to the tv.

Anyone else done something similar to this?

PulseAudio can do this, however it´s not possible to switch between the two on the fly. You need to restart XBMC between them (we can only send audio to 1 computer at any time, however perhaps pulse can send to 2 so look through pulse wiki)

IIRC your advancedsettings.xml should look something like this.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<audiohost>IP</audiohost>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

Cheers,
Tobias.
Topfs2 Wrote:(we can only send audio to 1 computer at any time, however perhaps pulse can send to 2 so look through pulse wiki)

Just a suggestion: Would jack support be a fix for that? I use jack for recording my band and it lets me route everything into everything without any restarts. just like plugging a cable from a to b.
Resurrecting a thread here. I am looking at doing the same as the OP. I want to stream the audio from xbmc to another computer on the network (so I can watch TV and listen to the audio on my eeepc - I currently have a long headphone cable running between me and the TV. I know one day I'm going to trip over and bring the TV down with me).

Anyone got any tips or advice on this one?
I found this on the pulseaudio faq:

Quote:How can use my Windows box to play the sound from my Linux box?

* Download the windows binary of pulseaudio from the download page.
* In the pulseaudio directory, create a file default.pa whith a content similar to this one (you may have to adjust the auth-ip-acl to reflect your network's settings):

load-module module-waveout

load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;192.168.0.0/16

* In pulseaudio applet: PA applet -> Default Server -> Other -> Enter the hostname or ip of your windows box.

I gave it a try on my xp machine. I also tried a variant on my linux box.

I have a feeling this is a bit complicated without some handholding...
Is this the kind of thing I need to be doing?

Source:
Quote:Alright, here’s what you do. First, install some packages:
sudo apt-get install "pulseaudio-*" paman padevchooser paprefs
#####
## If you have Flash Player 9, do this section too
#####
wget "http://www.paulbetts.org/projects/libflashsupport_1.0~2219-1_i386.deb"
sudo dpkg -i libflashsupport_1.0-2219-1_i386.deb

Then, edit the ALSA configuration file using the command: sudo gedit /etc/asound.conf. Fill it in as such:
pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

Some configuration things

Now, go to System->Preferences->Sounds and ensure “Enable Software Mixing” is turned on. Next, we make sure PulseAudio itself is configured correctly by hitting Alt-F2 and typing paprefs. Here’s the dialog with the correct options set:

Make sure that Multicast/RTP is off or else you’ll have problems with skipping and latency, then reboot, or hit Alt-F2 and run ‘pulseaudio’. Next, run Sound And Video->PulseAudio Device Chooser and if you have more than one PC with this setup, you’ll be able to choose which computer to send the audio to. Very cool!

Update: There’s an extra step that was added recently and in the final version of Feisty Fawn: you must add everyone to the pulse-access group. To do this, go to System->Administration->Users and Groups, click on “Manage Groups”, scroll down to “pulse-access”, Properties, then check everyone in the list. Otherwise, you’ll get weird “no-sound” errors and lockups.