Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hardware question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Haggy Wrote:What's that unRAID OS based upon? I strongly assume linux - but then how comes they don't release the source code?

They do. However there's a closed source binary portion of it that's not open - and yes it's apparently legit with the GPL. Modded files are indeed released and with a pile of work you could dupe his closed source binary code but considering the support and feature additions Tom has been piling in over the years I don't begrudge his making some money. YMMV <shrug> trying to recall the distro it's based off of - SLAX? The Wiki has instructions for running it off of a VM or full install if someone wanted - I will one of these days Rolleyes Would allow me to add lots more "stuff" but until then it's a good appliance!
Now don't get me wrong. I'm ok with binaries as long as they are needed for a smooth running system. I'm even using the nvidia blobs just for vdpau's sake and i'm fine with that.
I just couldn't find any source download, but i guess i didn't look after long enough.

I'm wondering how powering down the drives works in a RAID-5/6 array as you obviously need all drives for that. The only constellation that comes to my mind would be JBOD, but that again does not fit a NAS' purpose
Haggy Wrote:Now don't get me wrong. I'm ok with binaries as long as they are needed for a smooth running system. I'm even using the nvidia blobs just for vdpau's sake and i'm fine with that.
I just couldn't find any source download, but i guess i didn't look after long enough.

I'm wondering how powering down the drives works in a RAID-5/6 array as you obviously need all drives for that. The only constellation that comes to my mind would be JBOD, but that again does not fit a NAS' purpose

It's not operating with standard raid arrays.
Read here:
http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...roducts.3F

and here:
http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...ty_work.3F
For source DL the software, when it boots up the decompressed Linux image has the source in it.

Powering down works because parity is stored on a single drive and data isn't striped across drives. Each drive uses a standard ReiserFS file system. I can pull drives and mount them elsewhere without problem. Unless I suffer a multiple disk failure I can recover and even if I do suffer a multiple disk failure all surviving disks maintain their data - unlike standard RAID w/out hot sparing. Biggest disadvantage is that I do not get the aggregate bandwidth of multiple disks serving in response to data requests. For HD video I don't need that Big Grin
OK, thanks for the clarification - then it's basically a JBOD with parity data?!
Pages: 1 2