Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VDPAU errors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Am i the only one who is getting issues with VDPAU?
I can't play any video with vdpau support in xbmc. If i turn off vdpau support and use software everything works fine (but i want to play 1080p).

My card and driver version support vdpau as native mplayer plays it just fine with the option "-vo vdpau". (mplayer version 1.0_rc2_p20090322)
The error i get is, see pastebin

XBMC version
- several svn builds (today, yesterday, day before, ... ever since vdpau was merged with mainline svn, have not tried it before).

xbmc.log
- http://pastebin.com/d5bae7541

distribution + kernel
- gentoo - kernel-2.6.27

GPU
- nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400M GS (rev a1)

i hope somebody can help.

grtz
How much VRAM is on that card? Did you enforce VDPAU as renderer? Try using 'auto' - it'll use vdpau if available and supported.
You should also try the latest drivers if possible.. 185.13 I think.
@Haggy
The gpu has (according to windows) 64MB of dedicated system memory and up to 831MB shared.
But in the nvidia config panel in linux it shows 256MB memory... i wonder why there is a difference between windows and linux.
And oh yes... vdpau is not enforced, i am using auto... so vdpau is auto selected by xbmc. (vdpau with mplayer works... so i guess it is a xbmc issue)

@tslayer
I haven't installed these drivers yet. As they are hard masked in the gentoo portage tree... There are issues with these drivers under gentoo i heard... I will try it soon though during the weekend i think.
185.13 are no longer the latest drivers and are not needed anymore for vdpau in xbmc. IIRC anything >= 180.35 is sufficient, though the latest 180.44 did get some vdpau fixes. For 1080p you need 512MB of VRAM available. Try to force it via drivers or nvidia-settings, that might help.
@tslayer
ok i tried 185.13 in a hurry anyway... no help.

@Haggy
I will try to enforce my card to use 512 this weekend and report back...
But still then how do you explain vdpau in mplayer works but not in xbmc -- tried to play the same movies
and when i play using xbmc... i hear sound, i see subtitles... but the movie it self does not show... i see some distorted parts of my desktop
Most probably because XBMC also uses some GPU memory, that mplayer doesn't.
Haggy Wrote:185.13 are no longer the latest drivers and are not needed anymore for vdpau in xbmc. IIRC anything >= 180.35 is sufficient, though the latest 180.44 did get some vdpau fixes. For 1080p you need 512MB of VRAM available. Try to force it via drivers or nvidia-settings, that might help.

Haggy, which driver are you using?
I'm still on 185.13, but that has other reasons. I have vdpau issues and motd2k is aware - i simply did not have the time to try out some suggested patches yet.

@sandos: Sure, the whole UI is rendered in OpenGL, so plenty of memory is used.
Haggy Wrote:I'm still on 185.13, but that has other reasons. I have vdpau issues and motd2k is aware - i simply did not have the time to try out some suggested patches yet.

I just wanted to ask if you are experiencing this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=307...tcount=844
Erm - i don't know Smile I'm running 185.13 and have auto-refresh disabled due to known issues with that in xbmc. also i have enforced strict bindings in advancedsettings.xml.

due to my other vdpau issues i normally use glsl rendering for most of my videos for the moment.
i tried to debug it further but no succes. Does somebody know how to lock the amount shared memory for the gpu in linux?
Or a tool which allows me to do so? i tried nvclock allready...
Being a 8400M GS, Im assuming this is a laptop or integrated GFX on the mother board ? If it is not, please ignore my next comment...

I thought you could lock / increase / decrease the amount of VRam used by the GFX card in the Bios (motherboard). I seem to remember having issues until I altered my bios settings.

zepp
@ sike

I can't see your debug log anymore, but it sounds like you might be experiencing the same issue I am.

In the debug log, did it just say "Failed to get VDPAU device" and then revert to using ffmpeg?

I am still getting this same issue and I am running gentoo as well.
probably this is what u r suffering from

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130690

no fix yet...