Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO save power without shutting XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just noticed a post over at the Mediaportal forums mentioning they had implemented a new screensaver mode that drop the FPS to 5fps so that machines which are always powered on (like mine which runs as a home server and XBMC client in one) use less power when the frontend isn't being used.
I thought this would be a cool thing to add to XBMC so had a poke around before making a request, and what do you know those clever XBMC guys already have it implemented! Smile

To make use of the feature it seems you have to set your screensaver in XBMC to 'blank' instead of 'dim' (even though both visibly dim the screen.. blank doesn't actually blank it fully!)

Just tested and found;
Dim Screensaver - Average CPU % 15 to 20 - FPS stays at around 55fps
Blank Screensaver - Average CPU % 4 - FPS drops to 10fps

Should help to keep the energy bills down and keep things running cooler.. while doing your bit for the planet at the same time.

Hope this is of use to some of you guys who leave XBMC running 24x7 like me!
How does this compare to just "off"?
Even better, how does this compare to 'Put display to sleep when idle' which is what I have set instead.
doing your bit for the planet? by leaving things on 24/7?
Volkov Wrote:doing your bit for the planet? by leaving things on 24/7?

I have mine setup to burn tires when its not being used. Big Grin
panaman Wrote:I have mine setup to burn tires when its not being used. Big Grin

Did that come with the "Clubbing Young Seals" skin or is it an addon?
Hi,

Swifty Wrote:...

thx for the found... sherlock Smile
Let the others laugh...

put display to sleep won'T work on lcd tv's...

Greetz X23 Big Grin
Jimcando Wrote:Even better, how does this compare to 'Put display to sleep when idle' which is what I have set instead.
Doing this on my LCD just makes the TV blink Source not Found for 10 minutes until it powers off. It's not like a PC's DPMS monitor mode.
Don't forget to enable Dirty Region Processing. Drops the power usage in XBMC gui by a significant amount. Also disabling RSS feed also drops it by a few watts.
jacky89 Wrote:Don't forget to enable Dirty Region Processing. Drops the power usage in XBMC gui by a significant amount. Also disabling RSS feed also drops it by a few watts.
What is dirty region processing?
Superorb Wrote:What is dirty region processing?

Dirty region processing is a legacy hangover from when XBMC was for the Xbox, whereby every frame was rendered in its entirety.

DRP renders only parts of the frame which has changed, thus being considerably less hardware intensive, one of the positives of which is less power consumption.
kitsunegari Wrote:Dirty region processing is a legacy hangover from when XBMC was for the Xbox, whereby every frame was rendered in its entirety.

DRP renders only parts of the frame which has changed, thus being considerably less hardware intensive, one of the positives of which is less power consumption.

Where is this setting at?
I've no idea I'm afraid; I've not used XBMC, yet.
pyrodex Wrote:Where is this setting at?

It is only available in pre-eden builds and you enable it's settings via advancedsettings.xml.

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/06/19/workin...y-regions/
gabbott Wrote:It is only available in pre-eden builds and you enable it's settings via advancedsettings.xml.

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/06/19/workin...y-regions/

Is this because Eden automatically does this, or is this feature not available in Eden at all?

(I ask because I have my Zotac Zbox arriving today and plan to build my first XBMC machine at the weekend)
Pages: 1 2