Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help: XBMC , Xorg and Intel Intergrated Graphics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im having problems getting a xbmc working with my xorg.conf on an intel GMA 3000 intergrated. I can start X at the correct resolution but xbmc just fails to start (black screen).

I was wondering if there is anybody that has a working xorg.conf for this card or similar that could pass on a few pointers. eg. modules loaded, any options set and any packages install/compiled to get it working.

My xorg.log doesnt suggest anything is going wrong.
I've yet to check the xbmc.log, will report on that soon.

I was under the impression that on Intrepid, installing xorg also brings down the required intel drivers. Is this true or do I have to install additional drivers (similar to using nvidia proprietory).

I have a feeling this is an OpenGl issue(driver/modules). From intel, It is suggested that the GMA 3000 supports OpenGL 2.1. (Not to be confused with the GMA 3100 which is actually a scaled down mobile with only OpenGL 1.4)
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#T...d_chipsets

My setup is a CLI Intrepid with xorg, build system and xbmc built from SVN.

If required, please ask for additional information and how to get it.

zepp
A black screen can also be indicative of bad settings (guisettings.xml) or a bad installation. Anyhow, your xbmc.log should have more details.
Being a fresh installation from svn, the .xbmc directory doesnt exist yet. Wont load up far enough(Black screen). I cannot find a xbmc log file to look at. I've looked at the usual places ~/.xbmc/temp and /var/log/tmp. Any other suggestions ?

zepp
I have sorted my configuration. Seems to have been a couple of issues, but mainly, I configured my compile with --enable-vdpau which doesnt seem to work with my intel chip. Not sure if this really matters though.

Secondly, I added to the Device Section of my xorg.conf
Code:
Option   "AccelMethod"   "EXA"

Thirdly, I added another section to xorg.conf
Code:
Section “DRI”
   Mode 0666
EndSection

This might help someone out there. Please feel free to add more intel on Intel. Wink

zepp
Although this is an older thread, Recently I found an ubuntu forums post that addresses some problems with intel chipset graphics and Jaunty. I've found that these modifications greatly improve the xbmc experience and playback for Jaunty.

Be warned that this procces upgrades Xorg, Intel Drivers and Kernel to the latest stable or dev versions. Three options are presented. Not for the light hearted. I used the Bleeding edge option with success.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Zepp
Hi, all

Firstly xbmc, Excellent piece of work, long may it continue.

Just hoping someone can help me. Just freshly installed Eden ubuntu Beta 3, previously Live 911 which worked perfectly well. Got a slight problem with screen resolutions that I can't figure out. My graphics card is intel GMA 3100 and my max resolution is 1024x768 my TV supports 1368x768 is there a workaround. My HTPC is installed in a sky+ box with full working buttons, gets a bit warm but works well. Hope to get my old xbox remote working in Eden. Thanks in advance.
You can adjust my xorg.conf with modelines. Two thing to adjust:

- output from "HDMI2" to whatever your setup is.
- Find a modeline for your TV/resolution. Try google for that.

Here are some steps:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=alanwww1

It is for Sandy Bridge but I suppose the modeline part should work for you.