Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What Nvidia card to buy for hw-decoding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
fasteddy Wrote:The latest nvidia beta may help IGP users unable to dedicate 512mb ram.

Now THAT sounds like good news. Motd2k can you comment on this - will this help guys with 256meg cards?
Jaco2k Wrote:9400 passive here too (512mb) but I can safely say it does run hot on a small HTPC box... it is by far the hottest component on my PC, usually hoovering around 82C.

My Palit 9400 GT is also very hot. Sometimes about 95 C.
And this is with my case open.. =(

I guess the card will handle this, since its the orignal passive cooling device....

/Söder
Buy some artic silver.

remove the heatsink from the gfx card, clean off the thermal paste. then apply artic silver, spread thinly then reattach the heatsink to the gfx card.

I find that artic silver on it's own reduces temps by up to 4 degrees.

You could also try underclocking the gfx card and see if that helps.
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:Buy some artic silver.

remove the heatsink from the gfx card, clean off the thermal paste. then apply artic silver, spread thinly then reattach the heatsink to the gfx card.

How do I underclock the card, in linux?

As said before, I will only use the card for XBMC and VDPAU, soo I guess the card can be underclocked to not produce so much heat.

/Söder

I thought the Nvidia Linux driver is already dynamically under-clocking the card, no?
soder Wrote:How do I underclock the card, in linux?

As said before, I will only use the card for XBMC and VDPAU, soo I guess the card can be underclocked to not produce so much heat.

/Söder

you'll have to google it. but there are loads of hits.
Does anyone know of any graphics cards that meet the following criteria?

• HW-Decoding within XBMC (VDPAU Support)
  • HDMI output (not via an adapter)
  • Audio over HDMI
  • Passively cooled
There used to be some 8400GS cards that would meet that criteria but plugging your specs into NewEgg's search engine this is what I now get -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814127396

Note that this isn't "true" HDMI audio in that it accepts a SPIDIF cable off the motherboard so advanced CODEC support will still be limited just as it would be with an optical output I think.

All in all the best solutions are IGP on boards like the one I'm running.
leigh_munro Wrote:Does anyone know of any graphics cards that meet the following criteria?

• Audio over HDMI
  • Passively cooled

ASUS low profile 9400GT has all these except it has a tiny fan. $75AU.
leigh_munro Wrote:Does anyone know of any graphics cards that meet the following criteria?

• Audio over HDMI
  • Passively cooled

The PALIT 9400 GT I bought has that.

http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=1081

/Söder
soder Wrote:My Palit 9400 GT is also very hot. Sometimes about 95 C.
And this is with my case open.. =(

I guess the card will handle this, since its the orignal passive cooling device....

/Söder

I have the same problem with my 8600GT, have even managed to burn up a cable that was too close to the heatsink Confused
soder Wrote:The PALIT 9400 GT I bought has that.

http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=1081

/Söder

What are the temps it runs at? I need to keep the HTPC cool as possible so I can run as few fans as possible... to keep it quiet.
Livin Wrote:What are the temps it runs at? I need to keep the HTPC cool as possible so I can run as few fans as possible... to keep it quiet.

I got two "big" nexus fan at one side of the chassi, and one small nexus on the cpu, all running in 7V. ATM I got the chassi open, and the PATIT is in 80 C idle.

/Söder

Hmm I now applied Artic silver 3. Before, with my chassi open, after watched some 1080p, the temp could be about 80C.

Now, with my chassi closed and Artic Silver, I idle in 65 C and direct after watched 1080p for about 10 min, the temp is 73 C.

Is that really possible? =) Great work Artic.

/Söder
soder Wrote:Hmm I now applied Artic silver 3. Before, with my chassi open, after watched some 1080p, the temp could be about 80C.

Now, with my chassi closed and Artic Silver, I idle in 65 C and direct after watched 1080p for about 10 min, the temp is 73 C.

Is that really possible? =) Great work Artic.

/Söder

Yea..

Its great.. You may find that the temps can be higher/no change for the 1st few days while it beds in but the stuff is magic.. It just provides better heat transfer between your Heatsink and whatever it is attached to.
Pages: 1 2 3 4