Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: audio drops at the beginning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I got XBMC to work great with 1080p and the last thing I want to fix to perfect my setup is an mp3 problem I'm having. The beginning of every mp3 file I play is cropped by a fraction of a second. However, if I'm on the same song and rewind it to the beginning, there is no dropped audio. I have this dedicated HTPC hooked up via HDMI for video and SPDIF for sound to my receiver. Any ideas why this is happening? Also, would disabling sound through HDMI do anything or should I just not touch that at all?

Edit: As a complete linux noob, I was also wondering what I have to do to upgrade my SVN to the latest revision? (I would appreciate simple step-by-step if possible) Smile
Use the PPAs to get the latest SVN updates. They're a little behind, but they're later than the regular PPA.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=185738
The receiver takes a second to turn on and recognize there's input coming in via the SPIDIF connection. XBMC doesn't send data down that line all the time so when you begin playing things it takes a second for the receiver to see it and begin outputting sound. I have seen this on a few receivers - some worse than others. If you queued up 2 MP3 the second one would probably play just fine. Do your navigation sounds work? Frequently they are short enough that some receivers won't play them I've found or only catch the last part of the sound
Hmmm, yeah navigation sounds work great if I'm always scrolling. If I don't navigate for over a second, I'm guessing the receiver doesn't pick up a signal for about a second, then starts working again.

Alright, thanks for that clarification BLKMGK. I just wanted to rule out the possibility of a software issue.
I experienced same problem a couple of weeks ago with Ubuntu 8.10 and a SVN build. I downgraded to both Ubuntu and XBMC 8.04, and the problem was gone. Recently I tested Ubuntu 9.04 and a SVN build and it works just fine. Unfortunatly, I never figured out why I had this problem in Ubuntu 8.10 but it is definatly not a hardware issue.