Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Way to configure wireless INSIDE xbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am building a htpc box for a friend of mine.

Is there a way to configure wireless card inside xbmc ?

I know that when i start it with sudo and --standalone.
i can set some things up, but for example even this way i can not set the ESSID value. It is just blank. Even if i set it in /etc/network/interfaces and it is up and running i have just a blank line next to ESSID. Other datas show well eg. password, protection type etc. just the ESSID is not right.

Is there a way to do this without running the program with root privilages ? If not than how can i make it autostart it with root privilages M I used Olympia's guide to make my system.
Sorry to tell you but no. I am doing some work regarding non-root wireless setup and the code is available in a branch, although right now it mostly can scan and such Smile
Hopefully I or someone else will have more time during the summer to complete it as it would be lovely to have this feature.

The best you can do for now is to install gnome underneath and configure with it.

Cheers,
Tobias
Topfs2 Wrote:Sorry to tell you but no. I am doing some work regarding non-root wireless setup and the code is available in a branch, although right now it mostly can scan and such Smile
Hopefully I or someone else will have more time during the summer to complete it as it would be lovely to have this feature.

The best you can do for now is to install gnome underneath and configure with it.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias !

Great work you make on this project anyway. This function could be just a help for the novice users.

Thanks again,

Cheers
Hi,

Have you tried doing it from the CLI? Here's a very good tutorial.
sinarquia Wrote:Hi,

Have you tried doing it from the CLI? Here's a very good tutorial.

Yes i have no problem doing it from command line, except i put together a Media Center for a friend of mine, who is completely noob.
I see, I thought it was just a one time setting (essid, key...) and then just forget about it.