Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some problems with resolution, brightness and VDPAU...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, so I recently installed XBMC on Ubuntu Hardy using this guide, but I seem to be having some problems. Most have been mentioned in the linked thread, but at the rate replies/solutions are usually posted, I don't think anyone took notice of my postings - sorry if I seem impatient! Smile

My first issue: my resolution won't go above 1080i! My Pioneer LX 5090 says the signal is 1080i just as XBMC won't let me choose 1080p, only -i. The signal is sent from a Geforce 8800GTS through a NAD T775 (HDMI, no sound) to my plasma and it's all been working on Windows. The thing that struck me was that choosing a lower resolution (than 1920x1080@50/60Hz) in XBMC only resized the actual XBMC window - where it was once fullscreen, I just get XBMC at aprx. 1/4 of the screen (720p).

Plus, I can see the content is interlaced - lines appear when the picture is moving. I've only been playing some x264 720p content, so I can't say if this is the case for all types of files... I'd guess so, since the resolution is wrong anyway!

Second issue: too low brightness. As I don't think anyone can come up with a solution to this (as I'm already myself mostly blaming my hardware) I'm not gonna go in to much detail. Brightness is too low, it's only possible to correct this through XBMC, but the image quality suffers greatly from this. It was much better on Windows though still visible (a setting of 53 on brightness would fix the problem on Windows, but with Hardy I need a 60 - loosing quality either way).

And third issue: VDPAU. When renderer is set to auto, I'm quite sure VDPAU isn't utilized (as someone else posted, too), as my CPU is just running wild. The funny thing is, I chose Hardy over Intrepid as some reported errors on the latter, but my Core 2 Duo isn't being used equally - the load on each CPU can jump from 20-100% at any given time (mostly 100%).
When choosing VDPAU, I get noticeably lower performance; testing with killa sample, when render method is set to auto the CPUs get a load of about 85-95% (actually, it never exceeds 95% and the load IS actually spread equally), and about 170 dropped frames. Choosing VDPAU lets a bit of load off the CPUs, but only about -5%, whereas the number of dropped frames are now 230+.

Specs:
HW: GIGABYTE 965P-DS3 r3.3 w/ latest BIOS (F14b), Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2,13Ghz (though XBMC just says "Core 2"), Geforce 8800GTS 320MB, 2GB DDR RAM, through a NAD T775 to my Pioneer LX 5090 plasma.
SYS: Hardy (minimal install, upgrades as per the guide).
SVN: 19410

I've used XBMC since it's Xbox glory days, but as HD became a necessity, alternatives had to be found - I had a brief venture into XP MCE... what a horrid experience! When I became aware that XBMC had been ported to Windows (Atlantis beta1) I was ecstatic! Made the switch right away and a tear almost made it to my eye: XBMC was back. Once you go XBMC there's no going back. That's just a fact.
So, if my above problems could be sorted, I'd be out of words Big Grin

I know I'm supposed to post a lot of logs/confs, but I really don't know which... ?
I have to add one last comment: I usually know my way round a computer and also act as a supporter both in my spare time and profesionally (yeah, sucks!), but when it comes to Linux I am NOT on steady ground to say the least. So my above questions may seem n00bish and poorly explained, but I simply don't know what's relevant and what's not! My geeky pride is really taking a hit on this one! :p
... had to get that out of the way! Wink

Anyway, sorry for a way too long post and I hope my less-than-perfect english i tolerable Smile

PiNCH
The thing with VDPAU not being used when the renderer is set to "auto" is the intended behavior. You have to explicitly set it.
xanadu1979 Wrote:The thing with VDPAU not being used when the renderer is set to "auto" is the intended behavior. You have to explicitly set it.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up! Smile
I'm not complaining here, far from it, but I really need to know if I'm doing something wrong posting these problems... ?

From a Windows point-of-view, these problems are easily fixable, it's just I have no idea how to do it on Linux Sad
So I'm a bit stumped as to why I really haven't recieved any advice (again, not complaining!), and therefore think, I'm doing something wrong (or my thread is simply too long :p).

The resolution problem I really need fixed, if I had to put my finger on one of them! I can't really use my HTPC as long as that's in the way Sad

Do you need logs? Confs? Tell me which and I'll... figure out how to get them! Big Grin
PiNCH Wrote:I'm not complaining here, far from it, but I really need to know if I'm doing something wrong posting these problems... ?

From a Windows point-of-view, these problems are easily fixable, it's just I have no idea how to do it on Linux Sad
So I'm a bit stumped as to why I really haven't recieved any advice (again, not complaining!), and therefore think, I'm doing something wrong (or my thread is simply too long :p).

The resolution problem I really need fixed, if I had to put my finger on one of them! I can't really use my HTPC as long as that's in the way Sad

Do you need logs? Confs? Tell me which and I'll... figure out how to get them! Big Grin

Have you ever tried what happens when you connect your PC directly to the TV, instead of going trough the amp? (I know you mentioned it's ok in win, but still)
Hey Pinch,

I am not sure of the features of your amp, but I know with my denon rcvr and hdmi, it took me a couple weeks to figure out how to send the signal through the amp without the amp trying to modify the signal in someway, I finally set it up JUST to decode the audio and do nothing with the video, this works BUT my xorg.conf file still looks at the denon for it's mode information which sucks, I cannot get the xorg.conf to take info from my sharp aquos UNLESS I plug it in directly to the sharp. Hence I loose hdmi audio then.

So finally I just ran hdmi to the tv and spdif to the rcvr.

I would check out your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and read through it carefully also check for any (EE) at the beginning of any lines these mean errors in your x configuration.

The simple test as Olympia stated is to plug directly in your tv and reboot to try.

Dave
There is a sticky telling you exactly what we need to help.
As I really want to avoid having to plug the HTPC directly to the TV, I haven't actually tried it, but I will... it'll prolly work, though Huh

motd2k Wrote:There is a sticky telling you exactly what we need to help.

Apart from the debug log, everything required according to that sticky has been posted, I'd think... I'll whip up that debug log ASAP Smile
The main things we need that are missing are the logs, the XBMC build number, and the NVIDIA driver version.

Your xorg.conf wouldnt hurt either.
I'm out of luck here...

I can find and read everything you need by "sudo nano <file>" through SSH, but when i download fx. xorg.conf using pscp.exe, the layout is destroyed and the file really can't be read...

The debug log I can't even download using pscp ("pscp [email]xbmc@IP:~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log[/email] C:" - file or directory does not exist), but using "sudo nano ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log" lets me read the file (still SSH).

I'm sorry to ask this... how do I get some output using nano I can actually copy/paste (you know, the complete file instead of one line at a time)?

... I can't justify posting these questions on this forum! Could you guys point me somewhere I can ask this and be accepted for the Linux newb I am? Smile

Oh, and rodercot, I skimmed through the log you pointed me to, but no lines were marked with (EE).
download winscp, log in using ssh, browse to the file you want eg /etc/X11/xorg.conf and drag it to your windows machine.

cheers
That easy, huh? :p Thanks!

xbmc.log:
http://pastebin.com/m66d6609d

xorg.conf:
http://pastebin.com/m54ff76a6

And btw, "~" means homedir, right? Big Grin
try adding this to your xorg.conf screen section

Modes "1920x1080"

eg

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "false"
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
    Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"    
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1080"
    EndSubSection

I need to do this to enable 1080p on my tv (phillips)

cheers
Added the line, but still only 1080i Sad

Haven't tried pluggin it directly in to the TV yet, so I guess that has to be the next step...
PiNCH Wrote:Added the line, but still only 1080i Sad

Haven't tried pluggin it directly in to the TV yet, so I guess that has to be the next step...

Looks like that could be the problem. By the way when you change to a lower resolution and xbmc appears only in the top left of the screen. Go into settings appearance, screen, video calibration and configure it properly. Again this might not work when giong through your reciever.

cheers
Pages: 1 2