Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DVD Ripping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've started to create my own dvd ripping facility for XBMC for linux. I was searching everywhere for this feature but for some reason no one has created it.

I was wondering if anyone else would like to help develop this so we can make it a nice feature!!

1st of all I installed dvdbackup onto Ubuntu from the standard repo.

Then as I have no knowledge whatsoever of python I found a simple command line for dvdbackup that worked under terminal:-

dvdbackup -M -o /home/paul(as thats my login home dir)/Videos

This creates a directory taken from the name of the dvd and copies the VIDEO_TS folder into it.

I then checked in XBMC and this found it fine and as the name was correct found the artwork etc and it plays fine.

Then I managed to create a simple default.py file and added my ./xbmc directory under scripts. The file is simply as follows.

Code:
import os
os.system("dvdbackup -M -o /home/paul/Videos")

I then accessed this script in XBMC and it worked great with a running message next to it until it had completed.

I then moved this default.py into a directory called DVD RIP with a image named default.tbn and put this directory into my ./XBMC/plugins/video directory.

Now I can access this from watch my videos, video plugin.

Here is where I would love someone to help develop.

2 Things.

1. I would love it to show the progress instead of at the moment it just comes up saying LOADING DIRECTORY RETRIEVED 0 ITEMS until compete.

2. There is another command we can add to dvdbackup making the command:-

dvdbackup -M -n NAMEOFTHEMOVIE -o /home/paul/Videos

What i would like is a menu asking the NAMEOFTHEMOVIE so in XBMC we can either use a keyboard or a remote to name the movie correctly so it will then always come up correct.

I have no idea how to even start with these options and of course although we can change the destination to be where we always store our movies it would maybe be nice if we could also ask "Where would you like this movie".

Any Ideas.

Thanks
you could also use http://handbrake.fr/
for ripping a dvd.
It has some nice default ripping features, but you also
can finetune it with parameters very much.
I, unfortunately, am incapable of offering any assistance, but I think this is a great project Nod
Would also like people to note that iḿ quite willing to donate to someone who fancies making this happen, but I would then like it to work in the following way.

1. Insert a DVD
2. Popup menu informs inserted a DVD would I like to Play it or Rip it.
3. Choose Rip it.
4. Searches Imdb or selected choice for information.
5. Asks if information is correct or select manual name (The same way it does when you set media)
6. Confirm or re search with correct name.
7. DVD then rips with all information from Imdb and inserts it into your movies list.

The reason for this is my wife and kids love using XBMC but I would love to remove the watch my Videos section as when they go into here they get lost in the menu!!

Would also love to remove all the view options so it stays as default choice so everything is nice and simple to use. Also would love to remove the facility of exiting XBMC as this has happened a few times.

Cheers
Looking for the same thing. What came out of this?