Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVidia 180.44 driver at 720p. Possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been banging my head against this since I bought a 9400 yesterday. It replaced a 7200 which was working at 720p fine.

All I did was change the card. No changes to the xorg.conf and it decided to start at 1080i no matter what I did. I can disable EDID and then it starts at 480p no matter what I do but what I want is 720p. All my media is progressive and either SD or 720p. It all looks TERRIBLE at 1080i.

Is there any way to FORCE the nvidia drivers to use 720p? Seems like the nvidia drivers use 1080i regardless of the settings simply because the EDID reports that it can and 1080 is greater than 720.

PLEASE help me overcome this. Thanks in advance.
Launch nvidia-settings as root and see if you can set the resolution to 1280x720 and save the configuration to xorg.conf.

As an alternative you could try setting the resolution to 720p in xbmc.
There are several settings in xorg.conf that you could tweak. Could you post your xorg.conf?
Thanks,

First of all the xorg.conf I started out with was generated by nvidia-settings and it worked fine with the previous video card (I've been tweaking trying to get it to work since then so it may have strayed). Also, setting the res in XBMC seems to set the apparent res but it's still 1080i according to the TV and this is apparent with scrolling text (it sometimes falls out of sync and has the toothcomb look) and with video which is obviously still running at 1080i even though XBMC i set to 720p.

It's like XBMC is scaling up from 720p to 1080i and then the TV is scaling it back down to 1280x768 (or whatever the actual panel res is, I know it only supports 720p HDTV input and not the native panel res via the HDMI input and the VGA input is broken for video).

The xorg.conf I have is currently as follows:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "PIO PDP-xx7G"
HorizSync 15.0 - 46.0
VertRefresh 23.0 - 61.0
Option "UseEDID" "True"
# 1280x720 @ 50 Hz (EDID) HSync: 37.5 kHz
#ModeLine "1280x720" 74.25 1280 1720 1760 1980 720 725 730 750 +HSync +VSync
# 1280x720 @ 60 Hz (EDID) HSync: 44.9576 kHz
#ModeLine "1280x720" 74.18 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +HSync +VSync
# 1280x720 @ 60 Hz (EDID) HSync: 45 kHz
#ModeLine "1280x720" 74.25 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +HSync +VSync
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "metamodes" "DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
#Modes "1280x720"
Modes "1280x720_60"
#Modes "nvidia-auto-select"
#Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Like I said before turning EDID off just makes it start at 480p (according to the TV).

VDPAU works perfectly but if I can't get the resolution to be 720p then brute force CPU decoding and the old video card look a LOT better. I was going to repurpose the E8400 in this machine though and I've already purchased an E5300 to replace it with :/

Thanks in advance for any help.
And for what it's worth here's the resulting Xorg.0.log

http://pastebin.com/m1e347e79
Have you tried 1360x768 by any chance?
Yes but that only works via the VGA input and results in unavoidable tearing (not enough bandwidth on this TV input apparently).

I just tried installing the 9.04 release candidate and the 180 drivers (same versions but available via Ubuntu) and Xorg started in 1080i so I used the nvidia-settings app to change to 1280x720@60Hz and it LOOKED like it worked but the TV still reports 1080i and I'm willing to bet that it will behave like an interlaced display. This is in sharp contrast to the 7300 LE which would under the same circumstances actually switch to 720p and the TV would report it as 720p.

I will continue banging my head against this for a few more hours but thn my time runs out until I come out here in a week :/ Save me XBMC forums, you're my only hope!

Thanks in advance.
SOLVED!

Found and turned off Force Full GPU Scaling!

I'm so happy I may cry. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
OK. Still a small problem.

This configuration only gets loaded and used if you start the nvidia-settings program. Is there a way for the driver to load this info automatically?

EDIT:

OK. So it's nvidia-settings -l config, but is there a way for this to happen for ALL Xorg sessions including GDM? Not just those started with startx (although that's certainly enough for now).
Thanks a million for finding this option, I've been searching the net for ages trying to get 720p instead of 1080i

It would be great if this could be written to xorg but for now i've just added nvidia-settings to my startup applications. Its a bit messy but it doesn't seem to strain t cpu or anything.
Got it sorted.
If you put this: Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
in the "Screen section" of the xorg.conf it disables full Gpu Scaling &
it gives you 720p. According to some, this option should be put in the device section but it didn't work for me until I put it in the Screen Section.

Here's a link to some very informative........information lol, regarding Config options in the xorg.confBig Grin

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...dix-d.html
Quote:This configuration only gets loaded and used if you start the nvidia-settings program

You have to go as root...

Quote:Sudo nvidia-settings

in the terminal. Then you are able to save and keep the configuration.
No I've tried saving the changes as root & while it works with most changes in settings, it doesn't when you alter Full GPU Scaling.

But This: ( Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
in the "Screen section") Does work. So problem solved.