Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Jaunty + VDPAU + SVN + nvidia 185.19 + 64bit = very jittery playback and crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am getting fairly frequent crashes of xbmc using jaunty and vdpau and the latest svn and the latest nvidia driver. also the playback of the videos when they DO playback is terribly jittery. this is a new machine i built specifically for xbmc and vdpau. please help with any advice or tips to get stable, smooth playback!

details:

Linux distro: ubuntu 9.04 jaunty (beta, fully updated as of 19 April 2009
architecture: x86_64
install method: compiled svn
svn revision: 9.04-alpha1 r19543
debug log (not from a crashed session): http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/154327/
backtrace (from a crashed session): http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/154332/

***EDIT***
HERE ARE A MATCHING BACKTRACE AND LOG FROM A CRASHED SESSION:
backtrace: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/154338/
debug log: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/154336/

I will try to replicate the crash and grab that debug log. when i do i will put it here in a pastebin.

the jittery/stuttery playback i am experiencing is almost like someone is every few seconds rewinding the video a little then fast forwarding it back. files are being played back from hard drive. i can provide the samples if necessary.

i can playback SOME 1080p content in SW and it plays smoothly.

htpc specs:
2GB RAM (512 used for igp)
amd athlon 64 x2 5200 2.7ghz dual core
160gb sata hd
igp = geforce 8300 (nvidia driver 185.19 installed with nvidia installer)
The jitter you experience is a known issue with 8xxx IGPs which is not yet fixed. I also get it. It gets better with every release i noticed, but still is not perfect. Stick to GLSL rendering for now, your cpu should handle that fine.
EDIT: Sorry, misread OP, disregard this post.
You guys might want to have a look at the smoothvideo branch and see if that helps.
Quote:The jitter you experience is a known issue with 8xxx IGPs which is not yet fixed. I also get it. It gets better with every release i noticed, but still is not perfect. Stick to GLSL rendering for now, your cpu should handle that fine.

Each release of nvidia drivers or of XBMC?

Quote:You guys might want to have a look at the smoothvideo branch and see if that helps.

Will do. It's in SVN I assume?

Also, any idea on the crashes? Or are they a side effect of known 8xxx IGP issues?
ERamseth Wrote:Each release of nvidia drivers or of XBMC?
both... note that neither the vdpau api nor xbmc from svn is stable atm. That's what you get dealing with bleeding edge software and features.
ERamseth Wrote:Will do. It's in SVN I assume?
sure, just have a look at the trac repo browser.
ERamseth Wrote:Also, any idea on the crashes? Or are they a side effect of known 8xxx IGP issues?
No, unfortunately not. xbmc does not crash for me, or at least not when i'm not the one to blame Smile but again: jaunty is beta, xbmc is beta, nvidia is beta... i regret you just have to deal with it. your coredump clearly points to libgl which in turn points to the nvidia driver. maybe that problem is better addressed in the nvnews forums.
Quote:No, unfortunately not. xbmc does not crash for me, or at least not when i'm not the one to blame but again: jaunty is beta, xbmc is beta, nvidia is beta... i regret you just have to deal with it. your coredump clearly points to libgl which in turn points to the nvidia driver. maybe that problem is better addressed in the nvnews forums.

Understood on all accounts. I may put in Hardy side by side with Jaunty this evening just to do a comparison (also to workaround the core-utilization bug).

I will, of course, report back on all fronts about whatever I do this evening (XBMC related of course... the rest is probably NSFW haha)
As a point of interest I am running Intrepid (32bit NOT 64bit) with a 8500GT 512mb. I had the same problem with jittery playback and constant crashes with garbled video (185.19 drivers installed). Today I updated to 19607 and all playback using VDPAU has been flawless. So far I've tried 720p and 1080p content as well as a blu ray m2ts file from one of my Blu-Ray discs. Might be worth checking it out.

I'm stoked - full 1080p playback with about 5-10% CPU usage.
Gamblor Wrote:As a point of interest I am running Intrepid (32bit NOT 64bit) with a 8500GT 512mb. I had the same problem with jittery playback and constant crashes with garbled video (185.19 drivers installed). Today I updated to 19607 and all playback using VDPAU has been flawless. So far I've tried 720p and 1080p content as well as a blu ray m2ts file from one of my Blu-Ray discs. Might be worth checking it out.

I'm stoked - full 1080p playback with about 5-10% CPU usage.

I'm gonna try this out later today. On an unrelated note, my HD was failing and I had to get a new one.

Also, I rolled back to Hardy for the time being. I'll probably dual boot into Jaunty (once it finishes downloading....) to try that out as well.

Will report back.