Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dual Screen with different resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been running dual screens for some time now, and initially I wanted the same setup as you guys. Unfortunately I got a 1920x1080 LCD screen and a 1024x768 projector. As you can see, different aspect ratios. Anyway, I ended up with setting twinview on my nvidia card and shuffle xbmc between the two screens with a button on my remote when I needed it. XBMC changes to the correct resolution on itself, though the aspect ratio on the projector for the xbmc interface is wrong, the videos I play have got it correct.
crispy Wrote:I have been running dual screens for some time now, and initially I wanted the same setup as you guys. Unfortunately I got a 1920x1080 LCD screen and a 1024x768 projector. As you can see, different aspect ratios. Anyway, I ended up with setting twinview on my nvidia card and shuffle xbmc between the two screens with a button on my remote when I needed it. XBMC changes to the correct resolution on itself, though the aspect ratio on the projector for the xbmc interface is wrong, the videos I play have got it correct.
Thank you for your contribution but the reason why I want the second screen (1024x768) is to get my touchscreen to work as a(n expensive) remote. So this does not solve my problem Sad
It seems that dual screen configuration is available on Windows (as explained in this thread)
Can someone say if this is available for Linux ? And how to use it ?

Will VDPAU available on one screen (it does not matter if this is not available on the second screen) ?

Regards,
LoloMc² Wrote:EDIT : I found this wiki page on debian website which is talking about "the ability to configure outputs dynamically (resize, rotate, move, ...)"
But this looks like chinese to me and RandR does not see my secondary screen... I'll try to have a look later but if somebody find some informations about this, any help would be highly appreciated

After hours of research on the internet, I found out what's wrong : The official/proprietary NVidia driver DOES NOT support XRandR 1.2. They only support XRandR 1.1 but multiscreen specific options are defined in XRandR 1.2 ONLY

NVidia, this is a bad joke Stare

For other people it seems that ATI and Intel are supporting XRandR.
crispy Wrote:I have been running dual screens for some time now, and initially I wanted the same setup as you guys. Unfortunately I got a 1920x1080 LCD screen and a 1024x768 projector. As you can see, different aspect ratios. Anyway, I ended up with setting twinview on my nvidia card and shuffle xbmc between the two screens with a button on my remote when I needed it. XBMC changes to the correct resolution on itself, though the aspect ratio on the projector for the xbmc interface is wrong, the videos I play have got it correct.

Do you do it without restarting XBMC?, if that's the case, do you mind explaining how? Wink

I do something similar, but I restart the x server to match the projector screen resolution when needed...
anything new regarding dual screen stuff since 9.11 was released? says something in the changelog about multi-display support
I know this thread is quite old already but I think it is still worth a discussion.
I am facing the sam eproblem somehow.

I run camelot on an ubuntu system POV Mobii Nvidia Ion.
There is no problem to run both outputs hdmi and vga rgb in clone twinview.
In my case that is 800x600 for beamer and 1920x1200 for tv.

However xbmc shows just one resolution at a time. I could actually live with that but the problem is hdmi is disabled once I switch to 800x600 and that means I have no audio.

Okay I could just add some toslink to the receiver but that would mean I have to toggle the audio output all the time I switch.

I am not too much into linux so I have no idea how xbmc handles the video output but obviously it is different from what X does?

Anyone found a solution to this yet?
I'm not very technical so please forgive this if it's ridiculous but could you run a virtual machine and have that display on one screen while the actual machine would play on the other screen?
Does this help anyone? I have a 1280x1024 for 'work' and a 1920x1080 for videos and mythtv. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 and the Maverick edition of XBMC, as the Natty version seems yet to appear. I want XBMC to display full screen on the 1920. I set XBMC:

System/System/Display Mode to Windowed.

When XBMC starts (on the 1280) I move the window to the 1920 and click on a launcher created thus:

Right click on a panel
Add to panel
Custom Application Launcher
Add
Name, comment, and icon as you like, but command:
wmctrl -F -r XBMC\ Media\ Center -b toggle,fullscreen

Of course, must have installed wmctrl first!

This (-F -r) directs the window named "XBMC Media Center" to (-b) toggle that window to fullscreen. As it is a toggle, clicking the launcher again reverts the window to its original size.

The fullscreen'ed window stays on the 1920, and has no border or title bar.

Enjoy!
njsharp Wrote:Does this help anyone? I have a 1280x1024 for 'work' and a 1920x1080 for videos and mythtv. I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 and the Maverick edition of XBMC, as the Natty version seems yet to appear. I want XBMC to display full screen on the 1920. I set XBMC:

System/System/Display Mode to Windowed.

When XBMC starts (on the 1280) I move the window to the 1920 and click on a launcher created thus:

Right click on a panel
Add to panel
Custom Application Launcher
Add
Name, comment, and icon as you like, but command:
wmctrl -F -r XBMC\ Media\ Center -b toggle,fullscreen

Of course, must have installed wmctrl first!

This (-F -r) directs the window named "XBMC Media Center" to (-b) toggle that window to fullscreen. As it is a toggle, clicking the launcher again reverts the window to its original size.

The fullscreen'ed window stays on the 1920, and has no border or title bar.

Enjoy!
Wow thanks a lot! This seems to do the trick Smile
Quote:
Quote:njsharp: Does this help anyone? ...
Wow thanks a lot! This seems to do the trick

The wmctrl fullscreen-toggler is a slick trick. Thnx for sharing that!

I see that in the http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ource_code
there's a section at the bottom...
Multi-monitor Fullscreen
If you have a multi-monitor setup and you want to use fullscreen, make sure to set the env variable SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD to the display no. which you want SDL to use for the fullscreen mode.
SDL_VIDEO_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=1 ./xbmc.bin -fs
to tell SDL to use display no.1

Newb Q: Is that a "env variable" that you can change in an existing ppa install ?
I have an Zalman HD160XT (not the Plus version) case with an LCD screen in the front. That screen goes to 1024*768.
Would be sweet to either have the picture there while I run the main tv screen at 1080p, but also if there were some way to run something else at the small screen instead. Like a clock, screensaver or something else.
Right now I'm running OpenElec, but thinking of switching to Ubuntu with Kodi on top, or the likes.

As it is now I either have to blank out the small screen completely or run both screens with the 7" screen just showing a small portion of the action.
Pages: 1 2