Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Boot Directly to XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have a PC running Ubuntu and another running openSuse. I have XBMC running great on both but I would love to have and option to boot directly into XBMC without loading the entire desktop (KDE 4.2) thus making the booting faster. I was thinking about a GRUB option or something. Of course I want to still be able to boot normally into KDE.

Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forums.

Please use the forum search. This has been covered many times and there are several solutions posted. Be aware that the solutions of differing levels of expertise, so make sure you read and thoroughly understand what you're about to be doing before doing it. Otherwise you'll be reinstalling your OS when it breaks.
Check out some of the "minimal" turtorials.
you should especially handle the "minimal tutorials" with careful... :p
i suggest olympia's guide in the wiki.
alternatively, you can see my set-top box on jaunty thread to get an idea of another way to go about it.

if you're looking for a do-this, then-this, type guide, olympia's guide is the best you're gonna get... or you can just install the xbmclive cd -- like ronco, just set it and forget it Wink
Hi, thank you for your replies Laugh. I've have read the guide on the Wiki. But what I'm trying to do is not installing a full system again. I have my system with openSuse for example and I don't want to install Ubuntu on another partition following the guide just to use XBMC. That would be an alternative of course but what I want to do is use the installation I have now.

I was thinking maybe somehow adding something in grub that will allow me too boot directly to terminal (no KDE, Gnome or anything) and then start the X and XBMC.
Assuming opensuse uses the same init system as ubuntu, start at the chapter of the guide where I added the big "Don't follow this unless you understand it 100%" warning. IIRC that "explains" how to disable the DM and autologin from a tty then start xbmc. But DO HEED THE WARNING! You run a risk of rendering your system useless if run into problems and your linux-fu isn't up for the job!
althekiller Wrote:Assuming opensuse uses the same init system as ubuntu, start at the chapter of the guide where I added the big "Don't follow this unless you understand it 100%" warning.

hahhh... your nice worded warning was reworded to be even more nice and user friendly... :p
I solved it under opensuse by using the autologin function and an own .xinitrc in the homedir of the user.