Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HELP] Plugin Development on Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wasnt sure where to put this so I guessed here :p

Anyway I read through voinage's excellent tutorial and it got me really interested in developing. Problem is no matter what I done I always got stuck at some point. I'm pretty sure I followed the tutorial exactly, install wireshark etc. I'll elaborate.

Downloaded python 2.6.2 (because it was the one used in the tutorial) but found couldnt use IDLE. Researched this and found it was because of 2 missing dlls (tcl84.dll & tk84.dll). Downloaded those, put in system32, restarted. no dice.

Figured I'd download python 3.0.1. Still no good with IDLE. So after i found pywin32-3.0. Opened, but threw a syntax error at line 17 (the last "print match" line) of test.py used in the tutorial

Then I figured I ask for help Big Grin
Tell me then if you can, what do you use to develop plugins on windows? (version numbers, programs etc)
Why isnt it working? (XP SP2)
Is it easier to develop in linux?
Also what is wireshark needed for?

I feel like this should be asked in an irc channel but whatever :o

Thanks for any and all inputs Big Grin
BCawleey Wrote:Wasnt sure where to put this so I guessed here :p

Anyway I read through voinage's excellent tutorial and it got me really interested in developing. Problem is no matter what I done I always got stuck at some point. I'm pretty sure I followed the tutorial exactly, install wireshark etc. I'll elaborate.

Downloaded python 2.6.2 (because it was the one used in the tutorial) but found couldnt use IDLE. Researched this and found it was because of 2 missing dlls (tcl84.dll & tk84.dll). Downloaded those, put in system32, restarted. no dice.

Figured I'd download python 3.0.1. Still no good with IDLE. So after i found pywin32-3.0. Opened, but threw a syntax error at line 17 (the last "print match" line) of test.py used in the tutorial

Then I figured I ask for help Big Grin
Tell me then if you can, what do you use to develop plugins on windows? (version numbers, programs etc)
Why isnt it working? (XP SP2)
Is it easier to develop in linux?
Also what is wireshark needed for?

I feel like this should be asked in an irc channel but whatever :o

Thanks for any and all inputs Big Grin
Install python 2.4, because that is what xbmc uses. I don't know how your install for 2.6 went wrong, but it worked fine for me.

Python 3.0 has a different syntax than 2.x, hence the syntax errors.

(We are on irc, btw. #xbmc, #xbmc-linux, #xbmc-osx, #xbmc-scripting on freenode)
Try this:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.2/python-2.6.2.msi

Make sure all previous versions are removed.

Wireshark is for the next part of the tutorial, which will appear soon, and for capturing the incoming and outgoing network packet data.

It`s great for getting into the structure of websites.
As i've been made aware, I've posted in the wrong forum :o mods please delete thread.

But thanks rwparris2 and voinage Big Grin