Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Jaunty Killing My FPS on non-VDPAU Files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I upgraded to Jaunty from Hardy (clean install, but kept /home partition), reinstalled everything, including nvidia beta driver 185.19. VDPAU material plays fine, but standard (non-hardware-accelerated) files play very poorly. They start out fine, then drop to about 12.4 fps. Cpu's never go over 20%. I've also noticed that the xbmc interface seems sluggish, as well.

log

amd x2 6000+ (3.1ghz)
2x2gb 800mhz ddr2
nvidia 8200 igp
Try without pulseaudio.

Search threads on how to disable it.
Heh, you skipped intrepid where this all started. Smile
There's something really strange about the packaged Nvidia drivers and how X works.
I've had to manually install the drivers on 2 out of 3 systems for no discernible reason.

I've thus far had no problems with pulse and haven't since shortly after Hardy.
FYI, the old pulseaudio -k doesn't work anymore. it restarts itself when something hits the soundcard.

apt-get remove *pulse* to the rescue Wink
althekiller Wrote:Heh, you skipped intrepid where this all started. Smile

Actually, I started on Intrepid, but then downgraded to Hardy. Unfortunately, some of my remote buttons no longer worked on Hardy (in addition to several other annoyances). And, since I use VDPAU for most hi-def flicks, I figured it didn't matter if cores were balanced on non hi-def stuff. So I jumped into Jaunty. Anyway, I got rid of pulse, and everything seems more responsive (somewhat annoying, though, since it took me ages - and plenty of trial and error - to set up pulseaudio properly in the first place).

It may be too early to tell yet, but if I don't come back to this thread, you can assume that pulseaudio was the culprit.
Slightly OT but Pulseaudio is the most annoying part of ubuntu (besides the brown look) Smile
As it turns out, pulseaudio was not the culprit. VDPAU wasn't working consistently on 1080p files, and I started getting the fullscreen issue that other 8200 owners have documented.

I ended up rolling back to Hardy. It wasn't worth it just to have stop and start work on the remote.
That'll teach you to blame pulse first ^_^
I had similar issues. I don't have a VDPAU-compatible video card (so I guess we could say that all files are non-VDPAU files for me), but since I upgraded to jaunty I've had framerate issues.

The solution for me was this:
Code:
sudo cpufreq-set -g performance

For some reason CPU scaling wasn't working properly. I also have AMD X2 (3800+ in my case). If you for some reason decide to try jaunty one more time, try setting the CPU frequency to max using the above line. You can also see the current frequency using cpufreq-info while playing a movie. In my case there was a relation between the frame drops and a low(er) frequency.
nomorenight Wrote:The solution for me was this:
Code:
sudo cpufreq-set -g performance

Tried that. Didn't seem to help.