Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] HOW-TO build a XBMC Live USB without burning a CD on Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
you have to play a little bit with grub. I will write a post soonish.
To install from usb add this lines to syslinux.cfg

Code:
label install
menu label Install XBMCLive
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit boot=live quiet quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=install,nodiskmount,setvolume,noredir loglevel=0
divinitas Wrote:To install from usb add this lines to syslinux.cfg

Code:
label install
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit boot=live quiet quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=install,nodiskmount,setvolume,noredir loglevel=0

Installator still requires CD-ROM to load drivers or something :/

EDIT: got it fixed by a code from the other thread

added to the end of kernel line:
cdrom-detect/try-usb=true
I'm using XBMCLive 9.11b1 and hoping to do a full install to the first partition of my HTPC's hard drive.

I used unetbootin to put the ISO on a flash drive and edited syslinux.cfg first with the new one listed by l.capriotti and then according to divinitas and ezechiel1917's fixes to install and get past the CD detect step but now it fails at Installing the System.

Anyone else getting this or have any ideas?

Thanks, best support forum around!

------------------------------------------------------
Zotac Ion 330; 4GB Ram, 320GB local storage, 2TB NAS
shakes Wrote:I'm using XBMCLive 9.11b1 and hoping to do a full install to the first partition of my HTPC's hard drive.

I used unetbootin to put the ISO on a flash drive and edited syslinux.cfg first with the new one listed by l.capriotti and then according to divinitas and ezechiel1917's fixes to install and get past the CD detect step but now it fails at Installing the System.

Anyone else getting this or have any ideas?

Thanks, best support forum around!

------------------------------------------------------
Zotac Ion 330; 4GB Ram, 320GB local storage, 2TB NAS

I'm trying to do this too.. should've saved myself some trouble and just bought a external DVD drive
I used the custom syslinux.cfg from the first post, but now it always starts the installation script.

Code:
label atiamd
menu label ATI/AMD
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit  boot=live splash module=amd quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume,wakeOnUSBRemote loglevel=0

Shouldn't it just start a working XBMC this way?
Here is my syslinux.cfg line:

label ubnentry8
kernel /ubnkern cdrom-detect/try-usb=true

I fail at the point where it tries to load CDROM drivers...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

--Rod
I just bought a Acer Revo Aspire 1600, learned about xbmc and decided to boot xbmc live from a usb flash drive, instead of installing it directly on the machine. I followed the instruciotns on this post, googled and downloaded Unetbootin and the xbmc LIVE image found on http://xbmc.org/download/. Everything is working fine, after I figured out some steps, going through other threads on this forum:

- In order to make it boot from the USB drive by default, I had set up the Hard Drive Boot Priority on the BIOS
- In order to recognize and mount the NTFS hard drive on the PC, not enabled by default, I removed the command nodiskmount in the syslinux.cfg file on the usb drive root directory (NVIDIA option).
- In order to boot it by default with my graphics card configuration, I edited the same syslinux.cfg file and copied the lines from my graphics card configuration into the default configuration.
Hi,

I am new here. I build a HTPC, and want to use XBMC Live as its front end.

So I downloaded XBMC Live 9.11 (I think it is RC1, but not sure) burned it on a CD, and tried it. As it was working perfectly, I decided to Install this on a USB drive. (As my configuration does not have a HDD, yet.)

The Live CD's "Install to disk" menuitem did start well, but the installation has broke down at different places. The farthest I got was "Installing the system".

Then I tried to create a Live USB drive, so I used Unetbootin (on Windows). The result: USB drive is booting, but never reaches the XBMC user interface...

I found a guide to create a minimalistic Ubuntu system, and install XBMC onto it. I did this, and it boots. However, I am not satisfied with it.

It does not play sounds, writes much to the USB drive, and takes about 2 GBs off the drive, while the LiveCD produced sounds, and was only about 500 MBs in size...

What did I miss? Could somebody help me out?
Don't install it to USB then, use USB as Live CD directly.

UsagiYojimbo Wrote:Hi,

I am new here. I build a HTPC, and want to use XBMC Live as its front end.

So I downloaded XBMC Live 9.11 (I think it is RC1, but not sure) burned it on a CD, and tried it. As it was working perfectly, I decided to Install this on a USB drive. (As my configuration does not have a HDD, yet.)

The Live CD's "Install to disk" menuitem did start well, but the installation has broke down at different places. The farthest I got was "Installing the system".

Then I tried to create a Live USB drive, so I used Unetbootin (on Windows). The result: USB drive is booting, but never reaches the XBMC user interface...

I found a guide to create a minimalistic Ubuntu system, and install XBMC onto it. I did this, and it boots. However, I am not satisfied with it.

It does not play sounds, writes much to the USB drive, and takes about 2 GBs off the drive, while the LiveCD produced sounds, and was only about 500 MBs in size...

What did I miss? Could somebody help me out?
The results were written above, see:
Noodle Wrote:Don't install it to USB then, use USB as Live CD directly.
UsagiYojimbo Wrote:Then I tried to create a Live USB drive, so I used Unetbootin (on Windows). The result: USB drive is booting, but never reaches the XBMC user interface...
Meanwhile i tried several things, I found on these forums, like disabling floppy controller. I also tried to remove the CD-Rom drive, which I did not used since tha attempts with the CD-Rom...
Somehow I managed to get into a console (Safe mode, plus adding 'debug' at the end of the command line).

It seems, that the script of XBMC Live does not recognize the USB's file-system as VFAT, and could not mount, either.

But when specified '-t vfat' to mount, it mounted and worked.

So what could it be? Wrong partition type id?
OK I GOT xbmclive loaded fine on the usb drive, everyting works fine, except I want it to boot to xbmc automatically on my acer revo, i know i need to modify the config file, but how do i do that? just open it in notepad in windows? and what exactly do i need to get it to automatically boot to xbmc and my ion gpu, any help greatly appreciated..
tvwatcher Wrote:OK I GOT xbmclive loaded fine on the usb drive, everyting works fine, except I want it to boot to xbmc automatically on my acer revo, i know i need to modify the config file, but how do i do that? just open it in notepad in windows? and what exactly do i need to get it to automatically boot to xbmc and my ion gpu, any help greatly appreciated..

Notepad is fine for the edits
i need to know specifically what to change in the config to make it boot directly to ion gpu option..
Pages: 1 2 3 4