Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live 9.04 (Babylon) RC1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
New XBMC Live release: XBMC Live 9.04 Babylon rc1

Before going on, check the Wiki FAQ on XBMC Live.

Details about the release:

* Based on Ubuntu Jaunty
* NVIDIA drivers: 180.44 (VDPAU included on supported GPUs)
* ATI/AMD drivers: Catalyst 9.4
* Intel drivers: default xorg
* Natively supports MCEUSB remotes
* Uses duduke's great "black" usplash theme!
* New installer script that allows building of XBMCLive USB bootable disks from any Ubuntu-based system without the need of burning a CD and booting from it.
* new boot script automatically increasing the system audio volume
* New install to HDD method: the installer creates a standard Ubuntu system on the target disk (a kind of XBMCbuntu... Nod )

Finally, the XBMC repositories sources are already configured and topfs2's cool script "Aptitude" is included, so updating XBMC to follow the new releases will hopefully be easy!

Wiki references:

Building the ISO image -
Configuring XBMC Live -
Building restricted drivers for XBMC Live

A quick TOC of what has been already asked:

Login to underlining OS: here
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?: here
Is Microsoft's MCE Remote the only remote that works in XBMC Live?: here
Live (HDD install) - Resume from Standby: here
AutoBoot settings for XBMC Live USB?: here - note that this release uses GRUB so info here are not 100% accurate
Backup XBMC Live USB in windows: here
FTP access to Live: here
XBMC live volume output too low: here
Disable CPU throttling: here
Building a XBMC Live USB without burning a CD on Windows: here
Thanks for posting the update. I just tried it without success. First, I burned the CD, and chose option 1 to boot with nvidia drivers off the CD. It loaded up fine without issue.

I then chose to install it to the HD. It partitioned, formatted and installed without any errors, however upon reboot when loading off the HD it goes to a shell login. The screen flashes with a gui "X" in the middle of the screen then back to the shell login screen. This pattern repeats. I let it stay like this for about 10 minutes, it appears to be stuck in a loop. My video card is built into my mobo and I believe its a GeForce 7100.
Thanks l.capriotti,

Firstly issues with previous live CD not booting have been resolved. Live CD works great and VDPAU support is excellent!

However I appear to have a similar situation to eamiryar. When I attempt to install to my hard disk XBMC does not start. The XBMC logo is shown during boot and then briefly 'Starting up' - after that it looks like it gets stuck in a loop trying to start X.

Restarting in safe mode and starting X (startx) works but reports the following two errors:
open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

The box i'm running on is an old Dell Dimension 4300 Pentium 4 HT with GeForce 8500GT.

If there's some additional information or things I should try please let me know.
More info:

Manually starting xorg outputs this:

X.Org X Server 1.6.0
Release Date: 2009-2-25
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-23-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux XBMCLive 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Ap r 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686
Build Date: 09 April 2009 02:10:02AM
xorg-server 2:1.6.0-0ubuntu14 ([email protected])
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat May 2 02:26:16 2009
(==) Using default built-in configuration (39 lines)
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

waiting for X server to shut down error setting MTRR (base = 0xd0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

Here is the log file referenced in the above message:
http://pastebin.com/m3ddccb63
I also failed, i burnt iso to cd using IMGBURN and tried to boot (selecting CDROM as first boot device) and i just got windows as usual ?
new feature, new bug Smile
Guys,

Luigi and I tested this every way from Sunday and ofcourse new errors can crop up but,

I tested this on a an AMD 3200 CPU, 1gb ddr-400, Asus A8N-SLI dlx, and in every possible installation, from CD and USB, install to hdd, LiveCD and install to USB with an Nvidia 8500GT and 8600GT and then I tested it all the same ways on my Intel system.

If you take a look in your /etc/X11 directory after installation to a hdd or usb drive for Nvidia YOU will SEE there is NO xorg.conf file. You need to copy one in there you can do it via ftp and putty while the machine is flashing between X and the console.

In the last 30 Minutes I downloaded rc1 and installed and burnt to cd and usb and installed it to my test hdd and it is 100%, I copied over a known good xorg.conf config and voila it started as soon as I finished copying the file to the /etc/X11 directory.

Dave
A couple more things,

I usually update my NVIDIA drivers via the nvidia pkg1.run driver located on nvidia's site. The 180.44 driver is a good option and works well BUT if you want the latest there are a couple things needed to be done to get them to work in Jaunty and the latest kernel.

1. You need to add the key for the sources list to update without errors so from putty or the console on your live machine issue these commands.

Code:
sudo gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv 6D975C4791E7EE5E
sudo gpg --export --armor 6D975C4791E7EE5E | sudo apt-key add -

2. You need wget it is not installed by default.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wget

3. You need to install some apps as well to be able to build the driver and as well if you plan to upgrade Alsa as well.

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

4. THX Olympia for finding this one, by default Jaunty does not have the xorg xserver installed you need it as well.

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-dev
sudo reboot

5. OK Now reboot to load all these changes, following XBMC reloading exit to the command prompt and now you can get install your driver I use 185.19 what the following command do -you will get to root first, then you are renaming the existing nvidia module so you can install the new one without errors - if you remove your updated driver you will need to name this module back to nvidia.ko. The exit command takes you out of root mode, then you are dwnlding and installing the new driver and finally a reboot.

Code:
sudo su
cd /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/updates/dkms
sudo mv nvidia.ko nvidia.ko.bak
exit
cd ~
mkdir install
cd install
wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.19/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19-pkg1.run
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.19-pkg1.run
sudo reboot

if you want hdmi audio you will need to update your alsa as well, just a note if you use the script from the ubuntu site the alsa ftp server has been down for a few days, I needed to edit the script and replace the alsa ftp site with a good mirror.

here is a link to the mirror I used http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.alsa-project.org/. If you use version 1.16 of the AlsaUpgrade script then edit the .sh file and about half way down you will see the list of the wget commands for the source file. They are pointing to the Alsa FTP site you need to change them to this. just copy this string of test into your script replacing all the code that is there now.

Code:
wget http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.alsa-project.org/driver/$DRIVER.tar.bz2 && tar -xjf $DRIVER.tar.bz2
wget http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.alsa-project.org/firmware/$FIRMWARE.tar.bz2 && tar -xjf $FIRMWARE.tar.bz2
wget http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.alsa-project.org/lib/$LIB.tar.bz2 && tar -xjf $LIB.tar.bz2
wget http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.alsa-project.org/plugins/$PLUGINS.tar.bz2 && tar -xvf $PLUGINS.tar.bz2
wget http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.alsa-project.org/utils/$UTILS.tar.bz2 && tar -xjf $UTILS.tar.bz2
wget http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.alsa-project.org/tools/$TOOLS.tar.bz2 && tar -xjf $TOOLS.tar.bz2
wget http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.alsa-project.org/oss-lib/$OSS.tar.bz2 && tar -xvf $OSS.tar.bz2

One more thing I forgot too mention, XBMCLive boot with the setvolume script activated, this can reek havoc on certain systems or sound cards, The script by default unmutes everything and turns up all your volumes, well on my sound card I have 6 iec958 channels and one channel is a Loop, with that unmuted I get no sound from the system at all. The script runs on every reboot so you would need to run alsamiser everytime OR to disable the script simply remove it from the bootline like so.

either putty into or exit to shell (console) on your xbmc machine then

Code:
cd /boot/grub
sudo vim menu.lst

NOTE the file name you are editing is a Lower Case L not a 1. remove the setvolume tag from grub boot line. save the file and exit now run alsamixer and set your volumes and iec958 channels how you like and reboot.

Rgds,

Dave
ffrog_8 Wrote:However I appear to have a similar situation to eamiryar. When I attempt to install to my hard disk XBMC does not start. The XBMC logo is shown during boot and then briefly 'Starting up' - after that it looks like it gets stuck in a loop trying to start X.

had the same problem... a simple
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig
solved this problem.

video "tearing" or however you call it is still a problem! setting the cpu to performance (as mentioned in the other thread) didn't solve the problem, neither did the triplebuffer. still get the uneven cpu load and every 1-2 seconds a small judder. waiting for solutions... offtopic, but thought i could mention it again so you won't forget it Wink
Thanks! Trying now. On a side note, is there a document somewhere outlining how to upgrade from one version of live to the next while retaining library and source info? I will just rebuild them this time but would be useful for future upgrades. Will report back on my results.
Tried to copy the xorg file and received "permission denied" via the xbmc acount. Then ran the command doxic mentioned via a putty window and everything came up. Thanks!
FYI figured out how to copy the old stuff over (just moved userdata and scripts folder over.) So far so good, 9.04 is working well.

I can't seem to find the cache settings in the menu anymore. Was this removed?

*edit* nm, I see it was removed from the latest build.
Doxic Wrote:had the same problem... a simple

video "tearing" or however you call it is still a problem! setting the cpu to performance (as mentioned in the other thread) didn't solve the problem, neither did the triplebuffer. still get the uneven cpu load and every 1-2 seconds a small judder. waiting for solutions... offtopic, but thought i could mention it again so you won't forget it Wink

Enabling the v-sync fixed the tearing for me. Thanks again for the "sudo nvidia-xconfig" tip. What is the tripplebuffer setting? How bad is your CPU evening? I'm seeing about 80%/60% on a 1080p x.264 mkv.

*edit* I really should search before posting. Smile Found the triplebuffer setting and just enabled it. We'll see what it does!
Ok, so it was tested before release, now i may have overlooked something but this is supposed to work as live on a win xp machine right ?
Thanks for the suggestions XBMC is working for me with VDPAU Big Grin

@Bigkidoz you have to boot from the live CD it doesn't matter what OS is on your HDD because it doesn't use it. check the live faq
Pages: 1 2