Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live 9.04 (Babylon) final release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
New XBMC Live release: XBMC Live 9.04 Babylon

Before going on, check the Wiki FAQ on XBMC Live.

Details about the release:

* Based on Ubuntu Jaunty
* NVIDIA drivers: 180.44 (VDPAU included on supported GPUs)
* ATI/AMD drivers: Catalyst 9.4
* Intel drivers: default xorg
* Natively supports MCEUSB remotes
* Uses duduke's great "black" usplash theme!
* New installer script that allows building of XBMCLive USB bootable disks from any Ubuntu-based system without the need of burning a CD and booting from it.
* new boot script automatically increasing the system audio volume
* New install to HDD method: the installer creates a standard Ubuntu system on the target disk (a kind of XBMCbuntu... Nod )

Finally, the XBMC repositories sources are already configured and topfs2's cool script "Aptitude" is included, so updating XBMC to follow the new releases will hopefully be easy!

Wiki references:

Building the ISO image -
Configuring XBMC Live -
Building restricted drivers for XBMC Live

A quick TOC of what has been already asked:

Login to underlining OS: here
XBMC Live with ATI/AMD graphics controller boots to black screen?: here
Is Microsoft's MCE Remote the only remote that works in XBMC Live?: here
Live (HDD install) - Resume from Standby: here
AutoBoot settings for XBMC Live USB?: here - note that this release uses GRUB so info here are not 100% accurate
Backup XBMC Live USB in windows: here
FTP access to Live: here
XBMC live volume output too low: here
Disable CPU throttling: here
Building a XBMC Live USB without burning a CD on Windows: here
Manually updating an existing XBMC Live on HDD: here
How do I save alsamixer settings on XBMC Live?: here
Took 10 mins to install and is working great with no issues did Hdd install on a 250 gig sata

(besides not getting hdmi audio passed through my video card but that is a issue that has nothing to do with the release)
Sweet. I will be trying the new version this weekend... but first, a question:

Does this new version use the ext4 filesystem? I have a netbook that I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 with an ext4 filesystem and it boots FAST.

If this does not utilize ext4, I might try to "roll my own" so I get the faster boot times.
Wow if this has SSH/VNC installed and enabled by default i'll be a happy camper.

This pretty much has everything that I do with my current OS but without all of the overhead.
Hello!

Great new release! I have been using XBMC for a long time on the XBOX already. I remember it was called xbplayer in the beginning. Unfortunately my new HD TV kind of forced me to change platform.

I have however 2 small issues with the new live. Not sure if I should open a proper bug report.

The scripts Aptitude and SVN Repo Installer can't be started.

01:12:41 T:3049469840 M:3594309632 DEBUG: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory (special://home/scripts/Common Scripts/)
01:12:41 T:3049469840 M:3594309632 DEBUG: ParentPath = [special://home/scripts/Common Scripts/]

It seems to be looking in the wrong place. I wasn't able to figure out where I can change the path.

The other issues is when browsing for SMB servers. XBMC doesn't appear to even try. It was working very well with 8.10.2.

Does anyone else has these issues?

Thanks!
Hello if you wan't aptitude to work in xbmc live you have to execute this into a terminal:

sudo apt-get install python-apt

it works for me.
Whoever puts this thing together you did a great freaking job. It doesn't have VNC, but that's a small issue, I posted a thread on how to fix it up real quick. It DOES have SSH installed and enabled which is a godsend. Additionally excellent job in putting the PPA for the stable releases along with the PPAs for the svn releases very nice. Makes everything super easy, no copy and paste, just remove a comment and done. Fantastic work! It also boots very fast, it takes longer for the computer to start booting than it does for it to load up into XBMC, very fast.
bilbon0bud Wrote:Hello if you wan't aptitude to work in xbmc live you have to execute this into a terminal:

sudo apt-get install python-apt

it works for me.

Yep! It's working fine now! Thanks!
I found something else out today. Suspend works great for me!

Prior I was having to go through much work and headache over getting the machine to go to sleep in a way in which I would be able to wake over LAN.

The machine now can wake over lan out of the box no needed configuration for me. EXCELLENT! I can't express my gratitude in words for the gift that is XBMC Live. You've created a great thing here.
Is there an officially recommended method for turning off PulseAudio?

This is what I had to do for my Atlantis installation, and I will probably need to do the same for Babylon.

Would it be worth thinking about just disabling pulseaudio by default in the livecd version?
As XBMC Live now has VDPAU, should the minimum requirements be rewritten to reflect the case that GeForce 8 and 9 series are now used to accelerate and should play 1080p even with a not so powerful CPU?

"XBMC Live minimum requirements
Intel Pentium 4, Intel Pentium M, AMD Athlon XP/64, AMD Opteron, or newer CPU (that support SSE).
Fast modern dual-core processor is required to decode H.264 videos in FullHD (1080p).
"

I am asking as I want to install XBMC Live on an old P4 2.4Ghz/1Gb/8400 GS PCI and hope to play H.264 720p and 1080p

thank you
Is anyone having problems playing mp3 and having the music playing fast Is this caused by pulseaudio? Also I can't seem to get my optical out working but audio over HDMI is fine.

Thx.
Rrrr Wrote:As XBMC Live now has VDPAU, should the minimum requirements be rewritten to reflect the case that GeForce 8 and 9 series are now used to accelerate and should play 1080p even with a not so powerful CPU?

"XBMC Live minimum requirements
Intel Pentium 4, Intel Pentium M, AMD Athlon XP/64, AMD Opteron, or newer CPU (that support SSE).
Fast modern dual-core processor is required to decode H.264 videos in FullHD (1080p).
"

I am asking as I want to install XBMC Live on an old P4 2.4Ghz/1Gb/8400 GS PCI and hope to play H.264 720p and 1080p

thank you

Try it and report back your results. My media center only has pci-e slots, so I don't know if it'll work with plain pci slots.
sinnor Wrote:Is anyone having problems playing mp3 and having the music playing fast Is this caused by pulseaudio? Also I can't seem to get my optical out working but audio over HDMI is fine.

Thx.

Set the 2 audio devices to both be default instead of default and iec958. Also run alsamixer and unmute the iec958 devices.
ssh is enabled by default...

or just press alt+f1
login with xbmc/xbmc
enter "sudo apt-get install openssh-server"
enter xbmc

and there you go =)
Pages: 1 2