Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slower Quad-Core vs. faster Dual-Core processor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quick question.

I presently have a core 2 duo clocked at 3ghz. It's working for most 1080p content but a few give me trouble.

I have a desktop I'm not using with a q6600 (core 2 quad 2.4ghz.) If I swap the core 2 duo with a slower, but higher core quad will that make my 1080p performance better or worse? Assuming xbmc live/linux can utilize all four cores for decoding, I'm guessing better, but I wanted to get an opinion before ripping my rigs apart. Thanks in advance.
Keep the dual core. Search the forums if you want more info, this has been asked MANY times.
Cool thanks. I wasn't sure if 9.04 changed anything with core utilization. I'll run another search.
If you are running Linux the buy a cheap nvidia graphics card that support VDPAU (basically any 8 or 9 series GeForce), then the decoding can be off-loaded on the GPU.
8400GS's are around $30. They work pretty well. This one is fanless and has HDMI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814141094
I did actually order a 9400 for my primary setup. I was going to take spare parts left over to build a second 1080p rig and didn't want to purchase additional parts for the time being and wasn't sure if I should use the quad or duo. I'll stick with the duo and eventually add an nvidia card. From the searches I ran last night it looks like ffmpeg is still in very early stages of 2+ core utilization.