Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Lirc and XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a working lirc config (from mythtv) and irw (as the xbmc user) works. I updated .xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml with the new device name (iMON-PAD, same as irw shows) and the correct button names (eg 'FastForward' etc, also verified with irw.)

The problem is, xbmc isn't reacting. Debug output shows the presses but nothing happens:
Code:
19:08:00 T:778238016 M:670265344   DEBUG: Update - NEW at 6205:000000006882a1b7 00 Down iMON-PAD (Down)
19:08:00 T:778238016 M:670265344   DEBUG: Update - NEW at 6688:000000006882a1b7 00 Down iMON-PAD (Down)

I'm pretty much at a loss. I've gone through a ton of howtos here, all the various docs, etc.

~xbmc/.xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml: (modified from the master copy)
Code:
<lircmap>
        <remote device="iMON-PAD">
                <play>Play</play>
                <pause>Pause</pause>
                <stop>Stop</stop>
                <forward>FastForward</forward>
                <reverse>Rewind</reverse>

<left>Left</left>
                <right>Right</right>
                <up>Up</up>
                <down>Down</down>

<select>Enter</select>
        </remote>
</lircmap>
(no modified Keymap.xml although I've tried that too..)
Disconnect Wrote:~xbmc/.xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml: (modified from the master copy)

The Lircmap.xml file should be in the .xbmc/userdata folder.
(same goes for the Keymap.xml file)
ronie Wrote:The Lircmap.xml file should be in the .xbmc/userdata folder.
(same goes for the Keymap.xml file)

Moving that file worked. THANKS!! Big Grin

FYI this is definitely a bug somewhere - it says it loaded it:
19:30:32 T:2020157504 M:696844288 INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml
19:30:32 T:2020157504 M:696844288 INFO: Loading special://masterprofile/Lircmap.xml

(Looks like I'm running 9.04 - its the ubuntu jaunty ppa.)
Disconnect Wrote:FYI this is definitely a bug somewhere - it says it loaded it:
19:30:32 T:2020157504 M:696844288 INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml
19:30:32 T:2020157504 M:696844288 INFO: Loading special://masterprofile/Lircmap.xml

I'm not seeing a problem there ?
It's first loading the default Lircmap.xml (the one in /usr/share/xbmc/system) and next it loads the one in ~/.xbmc/userdata. Anything specified in your modified Lircmap will overwrite the code in the default map.

So i guess (not sure) you don't have to copy the entire Lircmap to the userdata folder, but just the lines of code you've changed.
ronie Wrote:I'm not seeing a problem there ?
It's first loading the default Lircmap.xml (the one in /usr/share/xbmc/system) and next it loads the one in ~/.xbmc/userdata. Anything specified in your modified Lircmap will overwrite the code in the default map.

So i guess (not sure) you don't have to copy the entire Lircmap to the userdata folder, but just the lines of code you've changed.

The problem is it wasn't loading the userdata version because it was in .xbmc/system (wrong place). So it was misleading - it claimed to load, but didn't.

If you create .xbmc/system/Keymap.xml it will report that it is loading masterprofile/Keymap.xml but will not (because it is in the wrong place.) The bug isn't the failed load, the bug is the log entry. Had it not told me it was loading the file, I wouldn't have spent -nearly- so long arguing with it. "Its not using the config it loaded" is a harder problem than "it didn't find the config" Smile
Disconnect Wrote:The problem is it wasn't loading the userdata version because it was in .xbmc/system (wrong place). So it was misleading - it claimed to load, but didn't.

If you create .xbmc/system/Keymap.xml it will report that it is loading masterprofile/Keymap.xml but will not (because it is in the wrong place.) The bug isn't the failed load, the bug is the log entry. Had it not told me it was loading the file, I wouldn't have spent -nearly- so long arguing with it. "Its not using the config it loaded" is a harder problem than "it didn't find the config" Smile

OK, clear. If you enable debug logging, it will display the correct message in the logfile when no userdata Keymap.xml is found:

14:04:28 T:3050571664 M:3126857728 DEBUG: CButtonTranslator::Load - no userdata keymap found, skipping
Yah it looks like keymap behaves correctly; further testing makes it clear what happens - the lircmap entry prints no matter what: (ignore the hostname Smile ..)
Code:
xbmc@mythtv:~/.xbmc$ grep Lirc temp/xbmc.log
10:18:48 T:1087363136 M:722432000    INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml
10:18:48 T:1087363136 M:722432000    INFO: Loading special://masterprofile/Lircmap.xml
xbmc@mythtv:~/.xbmc$ find . -name Lircmap.xml
xbmc@mythtv:~/.xbmc$

BTW there is a bug filed (6543, easy to remember Smile ..), I'll update it next.