Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does the addon read directly from the iplayer site or is there an intermediary process? If so how often is this updated, how long for a program just gone onto iplayer to appear in the addon?
Thanks a lot for the add-on. A quick note: radio streams fortunately also work from outside the UK. I am listening from Germany without any issues.

Edit: Is it maybe possible to add an "listening from outside the UK" option to the settings which hides all media that is only accessible from within the UK?
Six months on and still don't have a working iplayer addon, sadly. UK resident, can see the live stream, fails on "playing stream". Have posted debug reports but unfortunately no replies. Have seen something about making sure that the libraries are up-to-date. I think I have the latest XBMC and xx.17 of iplayer. Is there anything else I can check/do to make the addon kick into life?
Thanks
(2012-11-10, 17:52)epatrickt Wrote: [ -> ]Six months on and still don't have a working iplayer addon, sadly. UK resident, can see the live stream, fails on "playing stream". Have posted debug reports but unfortunately no replies. Have seen something about making sure that the libraries are up-to-date. I think I have the latest XBMC and xx.17 of iplayer. Is there anything else I can check/do to make the addon kick into life?
Thanks

I don't know about you. But the iPlayer addon is working for me here in the UK. Has been for some time I might add. Great addon. Love it

epatrickt: did you try changing stream source in the settings to limelight for example ? Looks like a network issue, as your connection to the cdn is being reset.
(2012-11-10, 17:52)epatrickt Wrote: [ -> ]Six months on and still don't have a working iplayer addon, sadly. UK resident, can see the live stream, fails on "playing stream". Have posted debug reports but unfortunately no replies. Have seen something about making sure that the libraries are up-to-date. I think I have the latest XBMC and xx.17 of iplayer. Is there anything else I can check/do to make the addon kick into life?
Thanks
I had a few similar issues with nvidia cards that meant the plugin needed to be installed and run at least once before adding the nvidia card to the system.

Now using the OpenElec V2.0 and it works out-of-the-box :-)

I can't get this to work properly. I get playback for a few seconds, then this appears in the log:

Code:
CALSADirectSound::GetSpace - get space failed. err: -32 (Broken pipe)

and playback freezes. It sometimes recovers after:

Code:
CRenderManager::FlipPage - timeout waiting for flip to complete

But often it throws back to the menu, or freezes completely.

I'm connected to a TV via HDMI, in case that offers any clues. Any ideas?

Edit: Switching to RTMPT is much better, only had it fully freeze once since. I'm at home, so there aren't any unusual firewalls going on.
(2012-10-17, 18:43)exobuzz Wrote: [ -> ]the plugin just provides urls for xbmc to play. so anything regarding seeking / refresh / playback glitches is down to xbmc.

I don't see how it is XBMC's fault in this case. Almost every other video I throw at it can adjust the sync rate of the display device to match the video content immediately before playing a file, or a few seconds after the video has started playing. With the iPlayer plugin it will adjust the sync rate as with other videos but for some reason this causes the video to play too fast and with stuttering, then the buffer empties, then iPlayer hangs and takes XBMC down with it.

As noted, the workaround is to put XBMC into windowed mode before playing, selecting the iPlayer program you want to play, waiting for it to make XBMC jump to fullscreen video, then putting XBMC itself into true fullscreen mode. Whereupon it goes full screen, adjusts the refresh rate to the correct 50Hz and the stream works as normal.

Two other addons, YouTube and TVCatchup, have no problem adjusting the refresh rate of the display to match the videos - they don't completely crash XBMC. This leads me to believe the issue is with BBC iPlayer which is the only thing which exhibits this program-breaking bug, so the code needs looking at. Presumably it'd need looking at due to changes within XBMC for the pending Frodo release anyway?

---

Additionally, anyone having problems with the live streams within iPlayer might want to look into TVCatchup, which is a great plugin with a proper Freeview style EPG including the ability to set Reminders. You get a majority of the Freeview channels this way too, not just ones from the Beeb.
(2012-11-17, 13:45)zackpliskin Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how it is XBMC's fault in this case. Almost every other video I throw at it can adjust the sync rate of the display device to match the video content immediately before playing a file, or a few seconds after the video has started playing. With the iPlayer plugin it will adjust the sync rate as with other videos but for some reason this causes the video to play too fast and with stuttering, then the buffer empties, then iPlayer hangs and takes XBMC down with it.

As noted, the workaround is to put XBMC into windowed mode before playing, selecting the iPlayer program you want to play, waiting for it to make XBMC jump to fullscreen video, then putting XBMC itself into true fullscreen mode. Whereupon it goes full screen, adjusts the refresh rate to the correct 50Hz and the stream works as normal.

Two other addons, YouTube and TVCatchup, have no problem adjusting the refresh rate of the display to match the videos - they don't completely crash XBMC. This leads me to believe the issue is with BBC iPlayer which is the only thing which exhibits this program-breaking bug, so the code needs looking at. Presumably it'd need looking at due to changes within XBMC for the pending Frodo release anyway?

well, I can only repeat what I said. The plugin has no control over how the stream is consumed, apart from parameters sent to librtmp.the plugin doesn't control anything else it just goes.. here xbmc, play this url.

if it just happens on live stream it might be worth trying removing the live=1 parameter, but still, this isn't a plugin issue. if xbmc is crashing, then something needs looking at. you could reduce the plugin socket timeout settings to see if xbmc is really frozen or waiting for data or something.

Works fine here anyway, apart from known librtmp issues with xbmc (pause/resume etc)
Just tried to use this for the first tim in a while, now when i play a video i get no sound and the video is playing at double speed.

Any ideas why?
Works ok for me but no HD. Go to the stuff in HD and it just plays them at the regular res.

EDIT: Never had this problem before. But haven't tried it in a while.

BBC HD used to get 1280x720 res streams, now only 800x400-ish
(2012-11-21, 18:35)cami Wrote: [ -> ]Works ok for me but no HD. Go to the stuff in HD and it just plays them at the regular res.

EDIT: Never had this problem before. But haven't tried it in a while.

BBC HD used to get 1280x720 res streams, now only 800x400-ish

post a debug log (turn on debugging in the iplayer plugin settings also)
it's 35mb for a 2min long log! trying to post on pastebin (it seems to have crashed). posted on dropbox in the meantime

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52986617/xbmc.log

It's the same on the 2 machines iv got running xbmc

EDIT: when i try to copy and paste to any of the recommended log sitest here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708 chrome kinda craps itself. hope the dropbox link is good enough
not checked yet, but i assume you left the video playing for 2 mins, and rtmp dumped a lot of data. I didn't need this actually. Just in this case debugging turned on in the plugin, not the main app, but ill have a look once ive downloaded it. you could have pressed stop as soon as it started playing also.
not to mention just using the iplayer plugin and nothing else , or you will end up filling your log with irrelevant information about your "film collection". (you seem to have some video scanning going on in the background which doesnt help :/)

have you changed the settings at all in the plugin in regards to stream choice or provider etc?
I think the issue is that you have set the stream source to something specific or something. i just tested here and hd stream played fine. on your system it didn't choose the hd stream, which makes me think it is a setting issue.
iplayer settings are default on both machines... I did stop the video after about 10 secs and i did another video in the hd section as well for about 10 secs. but yea i do have it set to update the library on startup so can disable that and do it again if it's needed?